User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Picture Resizing

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Picture Resizing
Riprunk04

2005-10-31, 17:56

Hey, just wondering if there is anyway to resize a picture using like Preview or iPhoto, or any program for that matter. I've been looking for a long time and haven't come up with anything.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-10-31, 18:05

Like scale it, or crop it? I'm pretty sure that iPhoto can - just select the photo, then go to Share menu -> Export -> "Scale Images no Larger than...", and type in how big you want it to be.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-10-31, 18:06

You can use iPhoto. Select the picture (or pictures) you want to resize, and click the "Email" button along the bottom. You can select the size you want them to be. It'll open Mail and create a new message with the resized images attached. You can just drag those images to the desktop in order to save them, then delete the email and quit Mail.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2005-10-31, 18:18

I'm pretty sure you could quite easily create a batch process using Automator, I mean I remember there even being folder actions for this in 10.3 allready.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-10-31, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
You can use iPhoto. Select the picture (or pictures) you want to resize, and click the "Email" button along the bottom. You can select the size you want them to be. It'll open Mail and create a new message with the resized images attached. You can just drag those images to the desktop in order to save them, then delete the email and quit Mail.
I've done it that way too, but I always assumed that there must be a better, more direct, method.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-10-31, 22:38

Just resizing? nothing fancy? you need a program that is fast and light and simple?

while there are many methods, the simplest I've found has got to be imagewell(http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11375)

It's free, small, keep it on your desktop or in your dock, drag an image into it and it will let you resize, convert to jpg and put on the internet, really quickly.

It also offers cropping tools.

If you need something more advanced, graphic converter is a good program to have around, it's shareware though.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-11-01, 00:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
If you need something more advanced, graphic converter is a good program to have around, it's shareware though.
Graphic Converter is bundled with Powerbooks and Powermacs though, so don't buy a license if you have one of those.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-11-01, 03:25

Toyviewer is a useful litlle app too (despite the name).
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-11-01, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney
I've done it that way too, but I always assumed that there must be a better, more direct, method.
iPhoto can be used more directly.. hang on while I fire it up...

In iPhoto 5, go under Share, then choose Export. I think the Export function was under File in iPhoto 4.

Either way, it's pretty self-explanatory from there. I don't want to alter the originals, so this way works best for me.

*edit*
Oh, duh, BlueRabbit posted the same thing, way up in the first response..
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2005-11-01, 19:36

I use Adobe Photoshop CS, it totally PWNS all the other programs.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-01, 20:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium
I use Adobe Photoshop CS, it totally PWNS all the other programs.
Well, considering that it costs twenty times as much (or much more if you count years of paid upgrades) as a little program like GraphicConverter, it should "PWN" them pretty well.

That said, GraphicConverter actually offers better options for scaling than Photoshop. I'll take GC over PS for simple jobs of resizing and exporting files any day.

GC fills a lot of gaps in many areas that PS does poorly. When doing any sharpening work, for example, I always pull from PS over to GC, sharpen, and back again.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-11-01, 20:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
GC fills a lot of gaps in many areas that PS does poorly. When doing any sharpening work, for example, I always pull from PS over to GC, sharpen, and back again.
There is a joke in here, but I'm not seeing it, hold on while I export to GC...
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-11-01, 20:40

The joke is that iPhoto is still free (well, as long as it's bundled, anyway.. lol).
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-01, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
There is a joke in here, but I'm not seeing it, hold on while I export to GC...
Huh? I was being honest and frank. I'm not sure what you're talking about.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-11-01, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Huh?
Sharpening... wit... GC ... sharpening... bueller... I didn't say it'd be pretty.