Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Path Finder: Your Views/Experiences?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Path Finder: Your Views/Experiences?
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-12-04, 09:12

Path Finder wants to be your Finder replacement. It has several advantages over Apple's Finder (cf. FTP, tabbed browsing, file browser slideshow, 256 x 256 icons etc.). Indeed, it probably answers many criticisms of the Finder that Mac-users have. It looks like the long-awaited Path Finder 4 is finally on the verge of release (no, really, this time).

I have been watching the development of this app for a few months, but only recently downloaded version 3.2.2 (the latest) for testing. I like it, but since Apple's Finder is so fundamental an 'application' to Mac OS X, I am sure that there are several compatibility/usability issues to consider before substituting it entirely for Path Finder (cf. Dock Trash icon, Desktop items, Title Bar filepath etc.).

I was hoping that others could enlighten me as to their experiences with the software—good, bad and indifferent. What problems have you encountered? Were you able to overcome these? Have you tried Path Finder, but decided to revert to the Finder? Was it worth the money? etc.

Thanks for your replies.

bouncy bouncy
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-12-04, 11:03

I will be buying a copy, just to keep Nelio and Co in business and because it was a re-write / should be significantly faster now, despite all the new cool stuff. Tabs will be awesome.

...into the light of a dark black night.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-12-04, 11:35

I toyed with path finder a while back, but I never dug it. It seemed like it was just a pretty face for the turd that is the finder. Maybe it seems less bolted on now? (I honestly don't remember which version it was - it feels like it was 3 years ago that I tried it.)

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-12-04, 12:22

It evolved pretty nicely in the latest incarnation (3.2) but was just a little slow and difficult to use in spots. Version 4 was completely re-written to take advantage of the new core system technologies in Tiger, so it should be much faster than previous versions. And the fact that you can juggle the location of the sidebar widgets, use tabbed browsing, turn features on and off that you don't dig.. is just too cool IMO.

Granted I thought it was overkill when they started adding Terminal session capability and all these global launching mechanisms but still, it's a lot more capable than the Finder ever was. Hopefully they've tweak the customizability so that it can remain simple like the Finder if you choose, but still have all the other built-in capabilities.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-12-04, 14:03

I didn't like PF at all when I tried the demo. It didn't address my biggest concerns about navigation, the "lack of data per pixel" problem, or get rid of the Sidebar. It also stuck a Trash on the desktop that did not go away even after finding and disabling the correct preference. It had a lot of superfluous junk to wade through.

Because I don't like Finder, I'll try PF4 once it's out, but I'm not holding my breath.