AppleNova Forums » Creative Endeavors »

Color Photography Sharing Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Color Photography Sharing Thread
Page 12 of 94 First Previous 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16  Next Last Thread Tools
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-08-24, 08:06

*bump* for torifile (and anybody else who is interested) - using white balance indoors with a Canon Digital Rebel
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2007-08-29, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
I also went to GSpotter's and your flickr accounts and I can see the thumbnails, but the main image loads for half and then blanks out. Odd.
If you use Firefox, you might want to try this extension which seems to bypass the flickr filters in china.

And to be true to the theme of the thread, here's another picture:

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2007-09-04, 16:01

A few hours ago, I saw one of the strongest and most beautiful rainbows as far as I can remember - just in front of my home:

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-09-04, 20:22

Woo Hoo! Flickr shows up this morning!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-09-04, 21:39

AWR: congrats! He looks like a big boy already!

Mac+: thanks for the link.

Everyone: is flickr a pain in the ass for anyone else? Half the time, images don't load or load really slowly for me.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-09-04, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Everyone: is flickr a pain in the ass for anyone else? Half the time, images don't load or load really slowly for me.
I've never noticed any slowdown here... When you think about the infrastructure required to store all the new photos coming in and let users manipulate the page information on the fly...well it's amazing to me.

Flickr's just a pain in the ass in other ways. Any photo you upload will be oversharpened and have its contrast changed for the resized versions. Test it yourself by taking the original version of a photo you've uploaded and resizing it to a width of 500px. Now compare the photo you've resized by hand to the one on your Flickr album...
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-09-05, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
It has been quite slow at times over the last week or so. Right now it's showing the "Flickr is having a massage" message, after having been completely unreachable for some time earlier today. You'd think they're releasing a new version or something

It's really not surprising that they would run into problems at some point. The amount of storage they need for all those pictures with hundreds of thousands (or even millions) of users uploading like crazy must be insane.
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-09-06, 20:36

I took this a long time ago and just came across it again. I like chocolate

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-09-06, 21:24

I like the chocolate. It's a very nice image!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-09-06, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
Woo Hoo! Flickr shows up this morning!
Oh well, that was a nice day while it lasted.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-09-29, 16:08

So, I need some help choosing which photographs to include with my college application (or even if I should). The school I'm applying to uses the Common App, but they have their own supplement, which includes three short essays. One of the prompts I'm considering is "Tell us something about yourself we could not have learned from your application." Since applicants allowed to answer the prompts in any medium we choose, I thought it might be a good idea to answer this one with photography.

Now, what I need help with is deciding a) if this is a good idea and b) if so, which photos to submit.

If you've got a few minutes, please poke around my albums and lend me a hand. Some of those are just snapshots of my friends, obviously.

Those are the two I'm leaning towards right now. I'm not sure on the cloud photo, I might choose another one from that album. Or, I might replace one of them with a portrait. Any ideas?
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-09-29, 16:45

They're nice, but a bit generic. The first one is technically good, but it's just another shot of leaves. The second one looks more like a snapshot, I wouldn't use that one. Do you have pictures of people? Or maybe a set of three pictures that show some personal style - weird angles, interesting use of color, a common topic or a short story?

Looking at your albums, that b&w forest picture would be a good candidate imho, because it's well composed and has a lot of mood. The b&w also really works in that picture. To go with that, you could pick one of your b&w thunderstorm pictures (just not the one you chose above - maybe this one, and try to play with the mid tones to get more contrast within the clouds).

Another candidate would be this one, because of its unusual angle and focus.

If you pick a portrait, make sure it's not a snapshot - most of the people pictures on your website are. As nice as they are, I wouldn't use one of those for an application.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2007-09-29, 17:18

I've taken some neat shots lately for a photography class...

ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-09-29, 17:30

Number 2 and 3 are great! Well done!
bmorley

2007-09-29, 18:19

Been perusing this thread. Never been serious in photography, but have liked taking pictures.

Thought the juxtaposition of technology and nature interesting.

Taken at the end of the pier in Oceanside, CA at sunset.

Last fall in St. Croix, WI.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-09-29, 18:50

The bird is really cool. Nice capture!

Some recent shots by me:

My city, Leiden:

Fred, the house spider:

Steel factory near Amsterdam:

Northsea surf:

People:

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2007-09-29, 19:11

I shot it in color but de-saturated. You are not missing much at all.
RichieB

2007-09-30, 14:17

Haven't posted here in quite a while! Here is a linky for some of my pictures that I have taken recently.

Cheers!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2007-09-30, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
They're nice, but a bit generic. The first one is technically good, but it's just another shot of leaves. The second one looks more like a snapshot, I wouldn't use that one. Do you have pictures of people? Or maybe a set of three pictures that show some personal style - weird angles, interesting use of color, a common topic or a short story?

Looking at your albums, that b&w forest picture would be a good candidate imho, because it's well composed and has a lot of mood. The b&w also really works in that picture. To go with that, you could pick one of your b&w thunderstorm pictures (just not the one you chose above - maybe this one, and try to play with the mid tones to get more contrast within the clouds).

Another candidate would be this one, because of its unusual angle and focus.

If you pick a portrait, make sure it's not a snapshot - most of the people pictures on your website are. As nice as they are, I wouldn't use one of those for an application.
Thanks for the advice. I've decided to use a different prompt entirely, and I won't be including any photography with it, but thanks anyways!
digitaldave

2007-10-01, 02:27

Over the weekend, I was lucky enough to be able to visit a big cat sanctuary and take some pics:

Here's a link to the whole ablum
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2007-10-01, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop View Post
Some recent shots by me:

My city, Leiden:
The 2nd and 3rd shots are beautiful, they make me want to visit there.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2007-10-01, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldave View Post
Some very nice shots there!

I recently tried some Photoshop Stuff. Here's my first try of the Draganizer action:

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-10-01, 16:01

I love your first photo, julesstoop. Interesting composition, cool girl, and great light.

I haven't been participating in this thread because I don't have a film scanner (I still shoot and prefer film) or a digital camera. But this afternoon I had access to a Sony DSC-H2:

The spoon handle is ugly, but I couldn't get it any more out of focus (the lens was already wide-open and near the [very] long end). The fill light comes from two sheets of white A4 paper, folded so they would stand unsupported. Ah, the joys of working with crap tools.

I cropped a narrow strip (of boring table) off the bottom.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-10-01, 16:46

Cool, how the egg shell is translucent.
RichieB

2007-10-15, 21:08

Wish I had a wide-angle lens! I am finally getting my D40 in mail tomorrow... so this is one of the last of my Panasonic Point n' Shoot pictures. I am just going to use the kit lens on the D40 for now... but eventually I am going to add the Nikkor 55-200mm VR lens. Simply cannot afford any wide-angles though. Maybe a used one.

Here tonight, we have, ah, apple and orange. We all different, but in the end, we all fruit.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2007-10-15, 21:42

Dave, those are gorgeous! What kinda cat is the one with the long ears which has the awesome yawning picture?
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2007-10-16, 05:28

OK, this is actually a test to see if the world can access my computer (and image server) from behind my campus firewall. I did some tricky tweaks but I don't know if it actually worked since I don't have a connection off campus.

So, I present this image as a test: (Please tell me if you can see it or not)

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-10-16, 05:31

I can't. I wonder if using port 80 would be a better idea, but then they might just block that too.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2007-10-16, 07:49

I can't either ... but then again, I can't see any from GSpotter, ghoti, atomicbartbeans, bmorley or julesstoop either.

I can see your other photo on this page of the b&w mountain mist though, Ebby.

All I want is a simple life
twitter
Phoenix
formerly "trav"

2007-10-16, 07:54

I can't see it either, if that helps at all.