User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Powerbook 12" optical drive dead, won't accept discs! urgent applecare expiring soon!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Powerbook 12" optical drive dead, won't accept discs! urgent applecare expiring soon!
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2006-01-09, 22:55

Hi Guys,

Suddenly today when I tried to pop in a DVD, my powerbook would not accept it. It seems like it isn't powered and the computer doesn't seem to recognise an optical drive either when I open system profiler.

Should I assume my hardware is messed up? Is there anything I can do or does anyone have an explanation?

Many thanks.

my system is a 12" powerbook 1.5ghz, bought almost exactly a year ago, so my applecare is about to expire!

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-01-09, 23:10

So.... if it hasn't expired, call Apple or take it to an Apple Store?

stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2006-01-09, 23:46

Does it not cost money if I call them and it turns out there isn't a hardware problem? Doesn't it get counted as support and you only have 3 months of free phone support should this happen? I was never clear on this.

Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-01-10, 11:00

well may be you could ask the apple store. i think that should answer your questions. Good Luck.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-01-10, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegong
Does it not cost money if I call them and it turns out there isn't a hardware problem? Doesn't it get counted as support and you only have 3 months of free phone support should this happen? I was never clear on this.
http://www.apple.com/support/products/

All the info on AppleCare you could ever need.

Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2006-08-15, 20:08

I would bring it to a store. If you call applecare they WILL refund the call fee if there is a hardware problem but I still wouldn't chance it.

I would definitely recommend that you purchase Applecare for that powerbook to extend the warranty another 2 years (and get free phone support). My powerbook's optical drive bit the dust at 2.5 years, waaay beyond the original warranty. It would have cost 700 dollars to go through apple for replacement. Also, I have had the display on mine replaced once ($800), trackpad replaced once ($600), and power brick replaced once ($400). So I got my $230 worth for the applecare I purchased (it's cheaper with student discount).

Laptops get banged up, it's as easy as that, they inherently have higher failure rates compared with their big boxed bros because of this feature. So save yourself the trouble and buy applecare

Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-08-15, 20:22

*cough* Late *cough*