AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

iPhone = laptop replacement?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone = laptop replacement?
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-01-11, 14:33

Over the past couple of years laptops have gradually become very capable "desktop replacements" - laptops can adequately perform all the tasts most people used desktops for - only portable.

Now that the iPhone is introduced, will it become a laptop replacement? Think about it: I primarily use my laptop (while not home) to (in no particular order):

1. Watch Movies
2. Listen to Music
3. Browse Internet / check/send email
4. Take notes in class
5. Make / Give Powerpoint/Keynote presentations

The iPhone certainly has the potential to do all of these, only in a much smaller form factor and ANYWHERE - not just when in range of a WiFi network. The only things not confirmed are Office/iWork functionality, and both of these could easily be done - all other PDAs and Treos etc. can do it. To make it more useful for notetaking all you'd need is a bluetooth / plugin keyboard.

Add to all that the phone abilities... and you have the PERFECT mobile device. No need for traditional cellphones, ipods, or even laptops.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-01-11, 14:42

Except you can't run 3rd party apps on the iPhone. Only Apple sanctioned apps will run on it, just like the iPod. I'd also go back to pen and paper before trying to take notes on the iPhone. <-- Guess I should improve my reading comprehension skills.

Last edited by bassplayinMacFiend : 2007-01-11 at 14:52.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2007-01-11, 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Except you can't run 3rd party apps on the iPhone. Only Apple sanctioned apps will run on it, just like the iPod. I'd also go back to pen and paper before trying to take notes on the iPhone.
I mentioned a keyboard... and it wouldn't be a laptop replacement at home, just on the road (sorry if I didn't make that clear). Obviously you're not going to get full computer functionality, but I could definitely see it covering the essentials I outlined in my first post. I mean, when you think about it, what else is really a NECESSITY for a laptop to be able to do when removed from home?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-01-11, 14:51

Sorry, I missed your keyboard comment. I hereby retract the 3rd sentence in my original post.

I'm probably not the norm, but I use my laptop for coding and AV editing. It's what I do the most on it, with websurfing a distant 3rd.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-11, 14:52

Quote:
Except you can't run 3rd party apps on the iPhone. Only Apple sanctioned apps will run on it, just like the iPod.
Pure conjecture thus far. Let's not jump to conclusions.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-01-11, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Pure conjecture thus far. Let's not jump to conclusions.
It's not conjecture, Phil Schiller said it himself.

From http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/macworld2...ons-227575.php

The OS: It isn't OS X proper, as you'd expect. And like an iPod, it won't be an open system that people can develop for. Remember, this is both an iPod and a Phone.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-01-11, 14:54

Quote:

The OS: It isn't OS X proper, as you'd expect. And like an iPod, it won't be an open system that people can develop for. Remember, this is both an iPod and a Phone.
There's also a NYT blog article by a person allowed to use the iPhone for a few minutes that also mentions no 3rd party applications. Seems Apple is stating their position to the iPhone reviewers who ask the question.

(oops, hit quote instead of edit)
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-01-11, 14:55

The resolution is a little cramped also.
zsummers
Avast!

2007-01-11, 15:05

Of course it could be in the long run, if you're a user like... well, you.

I think a couple things would have to happen for it to really catch on as a replacement though:
  • It could be hooked to an external monitor at home.
  • It's capacity goes up (which it's sure to do) to at least 16 & 32 gigs (very possible within the next year or two).
  • Apple adds the ability to download movies & music on the fly (which the iPhone currently lacks) at least over Wi-Fi. You have to be able to get your content there.
  • Apple gives third-party developers the tools and permission to design for the iPhone (i.e., it's more open than the iPod).
  • The battery life gets cranked up.

I'm 90% sure that Apple will add or is already planning on adding features 1-3 & 5. As to feature 4, given their talk of a revolution, I hope they know they probably can't go it alone. I'm sure others could come up with more necessary features. I'd need Word/Excel at a bare minimum to replace my trusty PB. Lots of other folks here would need a lot more before it could replace their laptop. And perhaps most importantly, the interface has to freaking rock your socks before it makes a dent in any market, let alone the laptop market.

I think if we're all patient on this product, it could really blossom. I'm excited about it, but I'm also taking a wait-and-see attitude towards it being as revolutionary as they claim.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-11, 15:05

Quote:

An article that has such delightfully confident statements as "I could be wrong, but I recall Phil telling me".

Even if Schiller said it won't fully be open to third-party apps, they might still allow an approval queue.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-01-11, 15:08

Hmm.

HMMMM.

Just thought of something.

With all the talk of adding on a monitor, a keyboard, battery life, etc, etc... I have a better idea.

iPhone holds your user account. Any Mac with an iPod connector is now 'your' computer.

Like? I like.
chucker

2007-01-11, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaha View Post
Hmm.

HMMMM.

With all the talk of adding on a monitor, a keyboard, battery life, etc, etc... I have a better idea.

iPhone holds your user account. Any Mac with an iPod connector is now 'your' computer.

Like? I like.
That's basically the Home on iPod concept. Originally promised for 10.3.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-01-11, 15:37

Quote:
An article that has such delightfully confident statements as "I could be wrong, but I recall Phil telling me".

Even if Schiller said it won't fully be open to third-party apps, they might still allow an approval queue.
Believe what you want, I linked the latest article from my history file. The Gizmodo article isn't the only article where Apple reps state the iPhone is a closed system anyway. If there's an approval queue, then most likely small developers will be left out due to pricing.
chucker

2007-01-11, 15:40

Quote:
Believe what you want,
I don't believe anything; I just caution people to jump to conclusions. I'm afraid you're right, but there is still hope.

Quote:
I linked the latest article from my history file. The Gizmodo article isn't the only article where Apple reps state the iPhone is a closed system anyway.
An Apple rep has also stated that the iPhone's CPU is from Intel.

Quote:
If there's an approval queue, then most likely small developers will be left out due to pricing.
Yep, sadly.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-01-11, 15:50

Quote:
That's basically the Home on iPod concept. Originally promised for 10.3.
Yup, and scrapped. The iPod HD wasn't robust enough, was one reason given.

Actually, was Home on iPod ever *officially* promised, or just rumored and hoped for? I recall Backpacks being promised for 10.3 *Server*, and they didn't appear, but I don't recall Home on iPod being an actual advertised feature.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2007-01-11, 15:50

i see it like this...the laptop becomes the new desktop...only offices and high end computer users will have desktops

the iPhone becomes the new laptop...it is what most people will take with them, leaving the laptop at home for bigger duties...

then the laptop will go on maybe longer trips or when you need to do major high end work...

most laptops are better than any 2 year old desktop

by version d of the iPhone it will be about what last years laptops were...

so, desktop will be rare outside of major work environments, laptops will be in most homes, iPhones and iPhone wannabes will be what is taken on the road

within 3 years of today, sooner if apple finds a way to break with cingular faster (not that i hate cingular, just that any one phone company is too small...need to sell this item to anybody with any plan)

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
chucker

2007-01-11, 15:52

Quote:
Yup, and scrapped. The iPod HD wasn't robust enough, was one reason given.
But flash memory isn't that great of an alternative, is it? Fast seeking, but slow reading and limited writing.

Quote:
Actually, was Home on iPod ever *officially* promised, or just rumored and hoped for? I recall Backpacks being promised for 10.3 *Server*, and they didn't appear, but I don't recall Home on iPod being an actual advertised feature.
I don't recall. I do recall that DarwinPorts was in some pre-releases, including a GUI, and then quietly scrapped, which was really weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post
i see it like this...the laptop becomes the new desktop...only offices and high end computer users will have desktops

the iPhone becomes the new laptop...it is what most people will take with them, leaving the laptop at home for bigger duties...

then the laptop will go on maybe longer trips or when you need to do major high end work...

so, desktop will be rare outside of major work environments, laptops will be in most homes, iPhones and iPhone wannabes will be what is taken on the road
That does seem pretty much Apple's strategy.
noleli2

2007-01-11, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post

within 3 years of today, sooner if apple finds a way to break with cingular faster (not that i hate cingular, just that any one phone company is too small...need to sell this item to anybody with any plan)

g
The AppleTV also fits this strategy: general home "computing" as we think of it today should not be a stationary, desk-confined activity, and will become more of an anywhere, read-the-paper type of activity. Entertainment, on the other hand, will become the centerpiece of the home.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-01-11, 16:00

Quote:
But flash memory isn't that great of an alternative, is it? Fast seeking, but slow reading and limited writing.
Check out SanDisk's announcement at CES: http://www.sandisk.com/Oem/Default.aspx?CatID=1478

Quote:
I don't recall. I do recall that DarwinPorts was in some pre-releases, including a GUI, and then quietly scrapped, which was really weird.
Huh? What does that have to do with Home on iPod?
chucker

2007-01-11, 16:10

Quote:
Check out SanDisk's announcement at CES: http://www.sandisk.com/Oem/Default.aspx?CatID=1478
Impressive, although slightly misleading. They're comparing against 1.8-inch drives, which in laptops are fairly rare.

Also seems to say little about write rates.

Quote:
Huh? What does that have to do with Home on iPod?
Nothing. It was just the first and only time that a feature was definitely in the builds, then got quietly and mysteriously scrapped before release, and as of almost four years later still has yet to make a reappearance.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-01-11, 16:36

Quote:
Impressive, although slightly misleading. They're comparing against 1.8-inch drives, which in laptops are fairly rare.
Well, unless you're going to plop in a 2.5" HD in an iPhone, that's the comparison you're going to have to make when considering Home on iPwhatever. If you wanted to bring that to fruition, then you have to consider the technologies that fit into the form factor. Right now, that's flash. The *point* of providing that link was that speeds are increasing quickly, and may, in short order, be at a level such that Home on iP* is feasible.

Quote:
Also seems to say little about write rates.
You are correct, sir! Wouldn't be bad to cache writes to the host drive for speed after reading off of a device like this, then doing a one time writeback when the session is over. Consider it part of the logoff procedure.

Quote:
Nothing. It was just the first and only time that a feature was definitely in the builds, then got quietly and mysteriously scrapped before release, and as of almost four years later still has yet to make a reappearance.
Ah, okay.
chucker

2007-01-11, 16:42

Quote:
Well, unless you're going to plop in a 2.5" HD in an iPhone, that's the comparison you're going to have to make when considering Home on iPwhatever.
That's assuming 1.8 inches will even fit.

Quote:
If you wanted to bring that to fruition, then you have to consider the technologies that fit into the form factor. Right now, that's flash. The *point* of providing that link was that speeds are increasing quickly, and may, in short order, be at a level such that Home on iP* is feasible.
Got it, and appreciated. I have no doubt this is evolving quickly and will allow not only greater capacities very soon (32 GBs by late '08?), but possibly even a more general use, such as, as you suggest, as your portable OS X user account.

Quote:
You are correct, sir! Wouldn't be bad to cache writes to the host drive for speed after reading off of a device like this, then doing a one time writeback when the session is over. Consider it part of the logoff procedure.
GMTA.
Whaley

2007-01-11, 16:49

Quote:
Hmm.

HMMMM.

Like? I like.
Oh yes, I like! In fact that would be my choice...just a little dock connector everywhere you go! Hopefully, there would be a Mac waiting there for me.

Last edited by Whaley : 2007-01-11 at 17:04. Reason: grammar
chucker

2007-01-11, 16:52

It would be teh awesomr®, that's for sure.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-01-13, 15:47

Nah, I don't see it as a laptop replacement. Maybe a temporary substitute, and good enough for communication duties while in short-term situations (riding the subway, sitting at the airport, etc), but not a full replacement.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2007-01-13, 17:56

Quote:
Actually, was Home on iPod ever *officially* promised, or just rumored and hoped for?
I don't know about "promised," but I do vividly recall some notice made to information on Home on iPod appearing on Apple's site for a very short time before being removed. I believe this occurred just after the announcement for 10.3 (not it's release).

"Virtually bursting with adequatulence."
chucker

2007-01-13, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
I don't know about "promised," but I do vividly recall some notice made to information on Home on iPod appearing on Apple's site for a very short time before being removed. I believe this occurred just after the announcement for 10.3 (not it's release).
Yep, you're right. http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/...08183849.shtml