Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Mac mini vs. AppleTV

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac mini vs. AppleTV
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2007-01-13, 03:53

I'm interested in setting up a media center arrangement in my house. I've considered Windows MCE, and while this interests me, Media Center PC's don't come all that cheap in New Zealand, plus I'd rather a Mac set-up anyway.

This leaves me with a Mac mini or an AppleTV. The AppleTV is cheaper, but the Mac mini also allows for a 2-foot experience, whereas the AppleTV only offers a 10-foot experience. But, the Mac mini is about double the price.

So, this leaves me with a few questions:

1. AppleTV or Mac mini, what would you choose and why? (Do you have a similar set-up, perhaps?)
2. Can the Mac mini run Windows MCE (either XP or Vista, purely for a bit of cross-platform whoring)?
3. Elgato EyeTV Hybrid - is this a good TV tuner product (I need OTA transmission (DVB-T) and coax)/any alternatives?
4. Do you drink alcoholic beverages such as beer?
5. Do you know of any resources about this sort of thing that you could point me too?
6. Should I blow the money I was planning on spending on this on beer and pr0n instead

I'm basing all of this primarily on research I've done about MCE and this guys experience with a Mac mini media center here.

Thanks for your help,
Anthony.

Last edited by iFerret : 2007-01-13 at 04:17.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-13, 04:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFerret View Post
1. AppleTV or Mac mini, what would you choose and why? (Do you have a similar set-up, perhaps?)
Have you considered a refurb mini?

Quote:
2. Can the Mac mini run Windows MCE (either XP or Vista, purely for a bit of cross-platform whoring)?
Yes, both XP MCE and Vista Home Premium or Vista Ultimate (which have MC). But, I don't think there's any driver for Apple's Remote. So you'll likely want to get an external remote (USB+RF or Bluetooth), and probably some USB-based tuner as well.

I'm also not aware of a product that works with both EyeTV and MC.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-01-13, 04:30

I've said this a few times already, but I went with the mini. On top of everything I've said, AppleTV is a 1.0 product and will inevitably be subject to 1.0 bugs.

If you do end up with a mini and need mini-TOSLINK cables, steer clear of the Belkin PureAV cables and adapter. Terrible reviews from the Apple Store
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2007-01-13, 04:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Have you considered a refurb mini?
Yeah, I'll probably go down that road (or possibly second-hand). Then again, I work for a reseller, so I can get one on the cheap that way too.

Quote:
Yes, both XP MCE and Vista Home Premium or Vista Ultimate (which have MC). But, I don't think there's any driver for Apple's Remote. So you'll likely want to get an external remote (USB+RF or Bluetooth), and probably some USB-based tuner as well.
Cool.

Quote:
I'm also not aware of a product that works with both EyeTV and MC.
By this, do you mean in the way of remotes? I can the MCE remote on the cheap from a friend, would that work using the Mac mini's IR revceiver and the EyeTV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I've said this a few times already, but I went with the mini. On top of everything I've said, AppleTV is a 1.0 product and will inevitably be subject to 1.0 bugs.
Exactly, that is probably the biggest reason for me not liking the AppleTV as much as the mini for a media center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
If you do end up with a mini and need mini-TOSLINK cables, steer clear of the Belkin PureAV cables and adapter. Terrible reviews from the Apple Store
Okay- thanks for that advice.

Further questions:
Does the MCE remote work with the Mac mini's IR receiver? What about with the EyeTV (I.E. does MC/MCE pick that up as a TV tuner)?
Or, could I consider a 24" iMac which also allows for basic gaming?

Thanks for your help guys.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-13, 05:50

Quote:
By this, do you mean in the way of remotes?
No, I meant tuners.

Quote:
I can the MCE remote on the cheap from a friend, would that work using the Mac mini's IR revceiver and the EyeTV?
MCE remotes typically don't use IR. They use RF (with an USB cradle) or Bluetooth.

Quote:
Or, could I consider a 24" iMac which also allows for basic gaming?
You could, but I don't see how that helps MCE-related matters… 
chris e boy

2007-01-13, 12:37

Quote:
3. Elgato EyeTV Hybrid - is this a good TV tuner product (I need OTA transmission (DVB-T) and coax)/any alternatives?
4. Do you drink alcoholic beverages such as beer?
5. Do you know of any resources about this sort of thing that you could point me too?
6. Should I blow the money I was planning on spending on this on beer and pr0n instead
1. Depends on your budget really, but I think I would prefer the Mac Mini solution, it means you have a choice of interfaces in addition to front row.

2. The Mini can run MCE and Vista fine, but to be honest ive used both and they are crap. Too complicated, slow and buggy. Stick with Mac OS and Front-Row or look into MediaCentral.

3. The EyeTV Hybrid is an excellent product, mostly because of the EyeTV software, which is the best TV software ive ever come across. It might even work with MCE if you decide to dual boot, my EyeTV for DTT does.

4. Frequently. Guinness is a personal favourite.

5. Here goes. First of all, dump the Apple Remote and get yourself something like an Ati Remote Wonder. These things are RF instead of infra-red and work through walls and stuff. The range is much, much better and no line of sight is required.

Check out MediaCentral as an alternative to Front Row, it allows you to browse youtube and contains other cool features, although in my opinion, the interface is not quite as polished as front row.

Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-01-13, 15:45

I agree with 6