User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

iPhone 4[S] cases

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 4[S] cases
noleli2

2011-10-18, 23:27

I'm surprised there isn't already a thread about this. At least not a recent one.

I'm going to be getting a 4S, and while I'd love to keep it naked, I really want something rubberized/grippy. Plus, I wouldn't mind decreasing the risk of the back shattering.

I want something very minimal. No colors, no patterns. So far, I've only found two that I might actually consider:

- Belkin Essential
- iSkin solo

I have the iSkin for my 3GS, and overall, I like it. My biggest complaint is that it can be a little hard to push the volume/power buttons. (Not terrible, just harder than with no case.)

Anyone else have any experience with those cases, or have one they like? Thanks!
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2011-10-19, 01:36

I'm really happy with my bumper.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2011-10-19, 01:51

In a similar boat in that I'll be picking up a 4S too and am perusing cases.

I like the iSkin stuff, so would consider them again were I interested in only a cover. (I had a duo for my first gen nano which kept it very safe. Eventually I removed the second layer and screen protector and just used the inner blue layer. Great fit and protection.)

However, I want to ditch my wallet and the BookBook for iPhone from 12 South currently interests me. I like the distressed look and the fact that it provides a lot of protection as well as meaning it is only one thing to carry. Granted, it's a bit pricey, and taking photos could quickly become tedious, but this is what I think I'll end up with.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-10-19, 08:02

I just put a bumper on mine and am very happy.

I'd hate to cover this phone up with anything more than what I already have on there. I'm pretty careful with my phones so I'm not too concerned.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-10-19, 08:53

On my iPhone 4, I go with no case. I use to have the bumper but I took it off because it scuffed the aluminum band around the phone and made it look like shit. Just wanted to forewarn people about that.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Noel

2011-10-19, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
In a similar boat in that I'll be picking up a 4S too and am perusing cases.

I like the iSkin stuff, so would consider them again were I interested in only a cover. (I had a duo for my first gen nano which kept it very safe. Eventually I removed the second layer and screen protector and just used the inner blue layer. Great fit and protection.)

However, I want to ditch my wallet and the BookBook for iPhone from 12 South currently interests me. I like the distressed look and the fact that it provides a lot of protection as well as meaning it is only one thing to carry. Granted, it's a bit pricey, and taking photos could quickly become tedious, but this is what I think I'll end up with.
Seems like the BookBook would be annoying as hell when using your phone as a, well, phone...
kdcny

2011-10-22, 15:39

I just got an iPhone 4S and my wife surprised me with a BookBook the other day. I had been looking at 12 South's website and thinking that it sounded really cool, but wasn't set on it yet. With my previous phone, I had a "body glove" sort of case, which certainly made it bulky but also added some protection. I'm generally pretty careful with my phones, but I wanted to take extra care of the iPhone and definitely wanted a case for it (it's slippery!).

After only a couple days of using the BookBook, I'm really liking it. I needed a new wallet anyway, and so the ability to have just one "thing" that carries my phone, cash, credit cards, and driver's license is very much appreciated. Now, I don't usually carry too much cash and only have two cards that I need on a regular basis, so it worked out for me but may not work as well for others.

The biggest downside is that it's looking like it'll need quite a lot of time to get "broken in", as it's very tight around the phone itself and around the ID slot on the left. So, it doesn't slide up to take a picture nearly as easily as it shows in the video, and the 'cover' doesn't lie flat against the phone yet; the leather just needs to get worked and worn a bit. Simply laying it upside down when not in use - with the phone's weight against the cover - is helping.

As far as using it as an actual phone, it's a little awkward. Not terribly so, as you can bend the cover over backwards and your hand covers up your ID so that other people can't see it. Also, just around my own house, I just held it with my thumb on the inside of the 'spine' up to my ear (though I'm realizing that wouldn't work as well for right-handed people, since then the wallet side would be in front of your face instead of toward your back). Once the leather gets worked a little bit more, I can see myself just taking the phone out for extended phone calls.

As for using it with browsing, it's great for that, since it's almost like you're reading a little book. Also, one hand can be used to support it like you would a real book while the other manipulates the screen (like turning a page), and so it doesn't have to be necessarily a one-handed, do-everything-with-your-thumb endeavor. That's how I used my last phone, and I didn't think anything of it at the time, but I'm coming to prefer this more and more.

Also, it just looks really cool, too.

If you've got any more questions about it, feel free to ask.
noleli2

2011-10-22, 22:49

Hmm, add this to the list. I'd need to feel it, because it might be harder than I'd like, but I like the open top/button design. http://goincase.com/products/detail/snap-case-cl59593/1
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-10-25, 21:31

I bought no case and spent the $100 on the AppleCare+. A case could cost half that and get me nothing if I broke the phone. Besides, ever since shattering my iPhone 4 even after using it in a case 80% of the time, I decided that the best protection was the kind I didn't feel the need to take off from time to time. I'm pretty sure that in 2 years time, I'll have gotten my money's worth.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-10-26, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I bought no case and spent the $100 on the AppleCare+. A case could cost half that and get me nothing if I broke the phone. Besides, ever since shattering my iPhone 4 even after using it in a case 80% of the time, I decided that the best protection was the kind I didn't feel the need to take off from time to time. I'm pretty sure that in 2 years time, I'll have gotten my money's worth.
I agree with you on going no case and just getting the AppleCare+. I think a case defeats the purpose and beauty of this phone.
Partial
Stallion

2011-10-26, 10:36

50$ for a case? I have a $10 Elago case that works well, looks decent and feels nice. I believe Eugene has the same one.

With AC+ don't you have to pay 50$ to get the phone fixed, still? So, you're at 150$ for a drop and a replacement versus a 10$ case which protects from the drop.

It doesn't make much sense, but if you've got the money..

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2011-10-26, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
This.

I'm seeing all these ultra thin cases that people are putting their IP4 in that I "know" aren't going to prevent a cracked screen if the phone hits anywhere near the corner. Save the $35 bucks get Apple Care + and perhaps a bumper to make the edge more comfy and voila comfort.

I may get a LifeProof case for rugged times. Wither Otterbox?

omgwtfbbq
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-10-28, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
50$ for a case? I have a $10 Elago case that works well, looks decent and feels nice. I believe Eugene has the same one.

With AC+ don't you have to pay 50$ to get the phone fixed, still? So, you're at 150$ for a drop and a replacement versus a 10$ case which protects from the drop.

It doesn't make much sense, but if you've got the money..
But it's 100% protection against a drop and it's $200 for 2 drops and replacements. Over the 2 years I'm pretty sure it's at least even money without a case.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2011-10-29, 01:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleli2 View Post
Hmm, add this to the list. I'd need to feel it, because it might be harder than I'd like, but I like the open top/button design. http://goincase.com/products/detail/snap-case-cl59593/1
That looks a whole lot like the Body Glove case I have, except mine has a clear back (which I like for keeping that wonderful Apple logo visible). Great case - highly recommended.

I paid $25 for mine, but recently found it on Amazon.com for a client... for about $6 including shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Glove-Acc.../dp/B0042B7GDC