User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Unable to *Send* from Mail... & weird server used

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Unable to *Send* from Mail... & weird server used
greenhybrid

2005-08-15, 00:47

Today I moved into my college dorm and suddenly I'm unable to send email with Mail. When I try, I eventually get a popup that says it isn't working and a dropdown to "choose" my server, although the server I've specified in Accounts isn't there; only smtp.mac.com:my_username. What's going on?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-15, 00:57

If you reread that dialog, I believe it's asking you to choose a different server because the default isn't available. That's why you can't select the default server.

Exactly through what server are you trying to send mail? If you're trying to use an SMTP server that belonged to whatever ISP you used at home, you're probably SOL. Most ISPs only let you send mail through their SMTP servers if you are sending from an IP address that the ISP owns. This blocks spammers what aren't members who would spoof an address of legitimate members.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
greenhybrid

2005-08-15, 08:23

It's the server for my website, greenhybrid.com. I guess I'll have to talk to my host.