User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iMac intel vs. G5 Dual Core Tower

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac intel vs. G5 Dual Core Tower
rubber_Jedi

2006-01-11, 20:35

1. How does the new 2GHz iMac Intel Core Duo stack up against the 2GHz G5 Dual Core - specifically with regard to Motion, Photoshop and AfterEffects?

2. Does having two procs mean that we can consider the iMac. Intel Core Duo at least a semi-professional machine?
halo1982

2006-01-11, 20:55

A Core Duo iMac will most likely be killed by a G5 when it comes to Motion, After Effects, and Photoshop, because all of those apps are going to be running under Rosetta, i.e. software emulation of a G4 processor.

Dual core by no means makes it a professional machine, nearly everything from now on is going to be dual core.
Paranoid666au

2006-01-11, 21:04

Jobs as said Apples pro apps will be uni. bin by march and you know what that means. When was the PowerMac last updated?
rubber_Jedi

2006-01-11, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid666au
Jobs as said Apples pro apps will be uni. bin by march and you know what that means. When was the PowerMac last updated?
That being the case, how will the intel iMac stack up to the G5 dual core once the Universal apps are out? My thought is that I can get a 20" screen and dual procs for less than the cost of the G5 tower.

If the intel iMac can support the demands of Motion (video+proc etc.), then it seems to be a better purchase.

chaos123x

2006-01-11, 22:06

So if there going to wait till March to make the pro apps universal that means that we will get Final Cut Pro 6 for free! (well 5.5) and fifty bucks for Intel users.

Why would they cross grade FCP 5 to intel a few days before NAB? and then release a new version right afterward.

I hope the update will rely more on core image and less on the CPU.

Imagine FCP ruunning as fast as Apple's MOTION.

Last edited by chaos123x : 2006-01-12 at 00:35.
Paranoid666au

2006-01-12, 00:19

Woa I just found out that all Apple pro apps don't run on intel. We have to wait till March, Apple says by the 31st. http://www.apple.com/rosetta/