Minecraft 1.18 (Caves and Cliffs Pt 2) Notes from Minecraft live

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Minecraft 1.18 (Caves and Cliffs Pt 2) Notes from Minecraft live
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-13, 16:48

I'm finally watching Minecraft Live Pt 2. Just jotting some of the highlights I'm getting as I watch.
  • Seeds are going to generate the same (mostly) in Bedrock and Java
  • New generation with old worlds still BLEND the chunks now! No more cliffs of insanity!
  • Caves below the original world will generate beneath your original chunk!

They talked about 1.19 The Wild Update too, but we'll stick with 1.18 for this thread. The Warden and Sculk have moved with the Deep Dark into the 1.19 update rather than 1.18 P2.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2021-11-16, 16:03

I jumped into last week's pre-release to play around for a bit and the new world generation is just amazing. Meadows (basically grassy plateaus sided by rivers), mountains, seaside cliffs, jagged peaks covered in ice and snow... really really fun to discover. And legit beaches are back, just like the alpha days! Caving is insane now, with the world being about 10x more dangerous below ground - pitfalls everywhere and massive caverns that just go on and on. A whole new game from that perspective. I was looking forward to the Warden and the new Deep Dark cities, but the extra world depth and height should be of enough interest for a while, especially if we go with a whole new Overworld for 1.18.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-16, 16:32

Do you have a link for fhis?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-16, 16:46

The thing about the 1.18 improvements is that we wouldn't have to do a new world to get the "sub-bedrock" generation. So in theory, it will look like it was always there. It would impact the mob trap by adding caves that would be dark under it, but other than that it should be pretty nice to move our existing world into 1.18.

The blending of chunks also makes it seem like a same bet. I haven't seen a "before and after" but in the Minecraft Live video there were some tame examples. I'm not sure how far off it would be if there was an ocean chunk next to a mountain biome. It will be interesting to see how it handles the smoothing. My guess is the smoothing is in all the new chunks leaving the old chunks as they were so they don't wipe a portion of your existing build.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2021-11-16, 16:51

Minecraft Live 2021

The pre-releases are available through the Minecraft Launcher - I just let a randomized seed play out in creative mode and use /locatebiome to check out new areas.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2021-11-17, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
The blending of chunks also makes it seem like a same bet. I haven't seen a "before and after" but in the Minecraft Live video there were some tame examples. I'm not sure how far off it would be if there was an ocean chunk next to a mountain biome. It will be interesting to see how it handles the smoothing. My guess is the smoothing is in all the new chunks leaving the old chunks as they were so they don't wipe a portion of your existing build.
The wiki says this:
Quote:
Upgrading of old worlds
  • Terrain from new chunks will now blend with existing terrain from old chunks. Any player-made structures in these chunks will be either intact, buried, or deteriorated.
  • The old bedrock layer between Y=0 and Y=4 in old chunks gets replaced with deepslate.
  • If there is bedrock at Y=0, lower places in old chunks will be filled with deepslate and caves.
  • A new bedrock layer is placed at Y=-64.
Sooo.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Worth a test as we get closer to release date.

I'll leave it to you guys to decide on the upgrade path, whether it be new Overworld or upgraded one. I've been spinning the random seed generator in Chunk Base and found an especially nice one with many 'rare' biomes within 1K blocks of spawn, so if we go with a new Overworld I'll put that seed up for consideration.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-17, 10:11

CC under a mountain. It would be like Pompeii! That would require playing. I was under the understanding from the video that it would only change the border of the chunks and under bedrock or Y=0.

I will say, my only hesitation with a new world is losing our familiar works. I mean, Robo might not ever play on the server again, but his LEGO house is still there. Things like that.

¡Damned!

2021-11-17, 10:21

Pretty sure it just blends the edges of old chunks into new ones. How it does it - like how far the process intrudes into older chunks or stays strictly on the side of newer chunks - I don't know. A good test would be up by Flowerland. The honey farm is right on the corner of the chunk and would definitely be affected.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-17, 10:34

I may just toss up a new server on an alternate port and test that out with the full world. I just need time to trim and make it happen. Might happen over the Thanksgiving break.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-17, 12:55

I am really itching to play again, if I can find time.

But I may be PvP and grief the server a lot

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-17, 13:01

I'm with that guy! ^
¡Damned!

2021-11-18, 16:44

On the blending note - just out of curiosity I decided to strip a copy of BP down to its core chunks and load it up into PreRelease2 to see what would happen. Pretty interesting! The blending doesn't blend different ground type so much as it alters the levels and ground shapes of the new chunks to fit in with the old chunks. In one of the pics there's a village that was expecting to be on the side of a mountain, but the terrain had to roll down towards sea level instead. In any case, the old builds seem to be staying intact.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-11-18, 22:53

Man I miss BP! Seeing my bridge again, and creeper head!

Pretty slick how it handled the blending from those pictures really. We might be able to make this work will with CC from what I'm seeing in those. I'm going to have to seriously look at cloning the world, trimming it and running it on the snapshot to play.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-20, 08:41

The building techniques in this video just blew my mind. If this works on regular, unmodified Minecraft things are about to get weird.

https://youtu.be/nCClalcgGsY

EDIT: nevermind, the description says it's a mod. Sorry

¡Damned!

2021-11-29, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I will say, my only hesitation with a new world is losing our familiar works. I mean, Robo might not ever play on the server again, but his LEGO house is still there. Things like that.
Brad mentioned that he could probably voodoo over any favorites, but I get what you're saying. And as much as I've warmed up to starting a new Overworld, 1.18 might not be the time. 1.19 will add the Deep Dark (which we expected to show up in 1.18) and underground cities, plus at least one new biome variant (Mangrove swamp)... maybe to get the greatest chance of underground cities beneath us we start a fresh Overworld in 1.19 and just add the caves beneath CC in this round? Just a thought.

If we do keep this world for another spin, we should talk trim just to get the most out of the new terrain. Here's where we were at after the last trim:

Here's the map with each region labeled:

I'd like to add a region (r.-2.-2) to the saved areas - there's a Pillager outpost out that way and I've found much enjoyment going out there to needle the little buggers. We could, depending on go-aheads from whoever's closest by land or attached in some other way, probably lop off some regions as well. The Mooshroom island (r.-2.3) could go, as there's new, close islands that generate in 1.18, and we have a lot of areas that Brad performed his biome-changing magic on if you're looking for some relatively safe caving. The west outcrop of ocean (r.-2.0) could maybe go (arteggio?). Probably the southermost region (r.0.4) past Southlantic Station too.

Thoughts? Adds? Others?

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-29, 14:32

I would love to preserve the old and make way for the new. I'd really love to do another clean slate world exploration night like we did so long ago, except with voice channel. Those were hilarious times.

Just watched a guy who did survival on an all lava world. He finally upped himself so he could get to the Nether and it was TERRIFYINGLY complex!!!!

¡Damned!

2021-11-30, 12:07

Caves & Cliffs: Part II is out!

New world height and depth means new ore distribution:

No coal for making torches in the deepslate! Pack accordingly.

So it goes.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-11-30, 14:08

Those mine gases are really going to be dangerous!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-01, 10:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Brad mentioned that he could probably voodoo over any favorites, but I get what you're saying. And as much as I've warmed up to starting a new Overworld, 1.18 might not be the time. 1.19 will add the Deep Dark (which we expected to show up in 1.18) and underground cities, plus at least one new biome variant (Mangrove swamp)... maybe to get the greatest chance of underground cities beneath us we start a fresh Overworld in 1.19 and just add the caves beneath CC in this round? Just a thought.

If we do keep this world for another spin, we should talk trim just to get the most out of the new terrain. Here's where we were at after the last trim:

Here's the map with each region labeled:

I'd like to add a region (r.-2.-2) to the saved areas - there's a Pillager outpost out that way and I've found much enjoyment going out there to needle the little buggers. We could, depending on go-aheads from whoever's closest by land or attached in some other way, probably lop off some regions as well. The Mooshroom island (r.-2.3) could go, as there's new, close islands that generate in 1.18, and we have a lot of areas that Brad performed his biome-changing magic on if you're looking for some relatively safe caving. The west outcrop of ocean (r.-2.0) could maybe go (arteggio?). Probably the southermost region (r.0.4) past Southlantic Station too.

Thoughts? Adds? Others?
I'm good with this personally. I REALLY appreciate you marking the region numbers because it is critical for the script Brad wrote to purge. I should be able to figure out how to do this without his assistance. Either way, we will have backups in case I totally kill it. I'm really looking forward to being able to update to 1.18 personally.

I don't have a timeline though... I thought I might have been able to do this over Thanksgiving but I spent the time with family instead of gadgets sooo...

If/when I do the update, I'll keep a copy of this current world as it is so we can always revert if required.

¡Damned!

2021-12-01, 11:21

I used Dinnerbone's Coordinate Tool to figure out the region numbers based on our portals list... figured it would be helpful.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-05, 18:06

A little update for y'all. I was on a little bit ago looking over it and I might be able to make to switch to 1.18 tonight. I'll wait until no one is on, but hopefully no one loses everything in their inventory or anything like that. I've seen it in the past, but don't recall the circumstances.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-05, 19:19

This is the region list of chunks I kept. I kept r.-2.0 because there was a cave built into there and I want to allow someone who built there to give input.
Code:
r.0.-1.mca r.0.-2.mca r.0.-3.mca r.-1.0.mca r.-1.-1.mca r.1.-1.mca r.-1.-2.mca r.1.-2.mca r.1.-3.mca r.2.0.mca r.2.1.mca r.2.2.mca r.3.-1.mca r.3.-3.mca r.-4.1.mca r.4.-4.mca r.-5.1.mca r.0.0.mca r.0.1.mca r.0.2.mca r.0.3.mca r.1.0.mca r.-1.1.mca r.1.1.mca r.-1.2.mca r.1.2.mca r.-2.0.mca r.2.-1.mca r.-2.-2.mca r.3.0.mca r.3.1.mca r.-4.0.mca r.4.-3.mca r.-5.0.mca r.-6.0.mca
The update also required an update to Java so it took a little bit more than normal to get it running. However, it is running! Please free free to get in there and have some fun. I'm heading to chunk edges to take a look now.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-05, 19:24

There is a Guardian Temple thing at 1834/340 if anyone is looking.

That is interesting. Still trying to find where the blending happens and this is all I've found so far. Due East from the space museum.

Desert Village 2219/-265

And with that I'm done for now. My inventory was present when I logged in so all should be well. Let me know if you all find something amiss!

Last edited by turtle : 2021-12-05 at 19:34.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-12-05, 20:33

Sorry I've been kind of totally AWOL for a while here. Life being what is it has kept me from a lot of fun like this, but I'm hoping to touch base a little more over the upcoming winter holiday spree.

I haven't logged in to the server lately, but it's on my list for Soon™! Did I read correctly here that the server has been properly updated to 1.18?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-05, 20:35

Yes, but our Resource pack is still from 1.16 IIRC. So far all looks good with the server once I figured out the Java update requirement that is.

Edit: I just checked the logs to see if there were any errors. There aren't, but this must have been miserable for them:
Code:
[19:26:09] [Server thread/INFO]: Villager bne['Nitwit'/7697, l='ServerLevel[world]', x=2255.50, y=63.00, z=156.50] died, message: 'Nitwit suffocated in a wall' [19:26:09] [Server thread/INFO]: Villager bne['Mason'/7703, l='ServerLevel[world]', x=2269.26, y=63.00, z=145.29] died, message: 'Mason suffocated in a wall' [19:26:09] [Server thread/INFO]: Villager bne['Butcher'/7702, l='ServerLevel[world]', x=2270.50, y=63.00, z=154.50] died, message: 'Butcher suffocated in a wall' [19:26:15] [Server thread/INFO]: Villager bne['Villager'/7821, l='ServerLevel[world]', x=2299.50, y=63.00, z=138.50] died, message: 'Villager suffocated in a wall'

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-12-05, 20:59

I've been looking for another project to add to my list!

I'll get on updating that pack ASAP. Let's see if I can get some proper updates by this weekend. 🤞

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
¡Damned!

2021-12-06, 11:38

Quote:
Pretty sure it just blends the edges of old chunks into new ones. How it does it - like how far the process intrudes into older chunks or stays strictly on the side of newer chunks - I don't know. A good test would be up by Flowerland. The honey farm is right on the corner of the chunk and would definitely be affected.
Successful transition!

Needs a little cleanup here and there but it made it. This was right on the chunk edge too, with ocean on all sides previously.

Took a peek at a known bedrock-exposed area (underneath the museum), and just like that, deepslate!

Ken will be thrilled that he has a new 64 layers to mine underneath his already sprawling underground caverns.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-06, 11:41

WooHoo!

Now we should get under the mob trap farm and torch it up.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-06, 11:48

Quote:
Ken will be thrilled that he has a new 64 layers to mine underneath his already sprawling underground caverns.
Oh, happy day. Hopefully I'll be able to get some time together. I don't think I've been on for more than a few minutes over the last 2 years.

And I miss it.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-09, 17:02

Isn't there a button somewhere that will let me kill Creative Mode?

Yes, it's been that long since I've been on. I can still get all the things!

But I can't dig to save my life. And Grey clearly wants me to dig!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)