Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Moving my iMac G5 to the US

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Moving my iMac G5 to the US
apfelsaft

2005-03-16, 22:58

Hi!
I'm moving to a friend in the USA, for approximately 4 months.

Maybe you can answer my questions, since I want to take my german 20" iMac G5 with me to do video editing.
First problem is getting the iMac overseas. Can i put it in a Pelicase or in my large Samsonite suitcase between the clothes and take it as luggage on the plane? (airport security might think it's a bomb ) - Or better Fedex it? What about insurance?

I know about the different voltage and plugs, someone told me the new european iMacs have a switching power supply? (110V/240V) Could I just buy a new power cable in America?

Or should I sell my iMac and get a middle class Powerbook and an external HDD? Will Finalcut then feel slow switching form my 1.8GHz G5 iMac to a 1.67GHz G4 Powerbook?
Too bad I'm mac addicted...
jdorian

2005-03-16, 23:06

Whatever you do, assume that the item will get lost or damaged in transit to either theft, poor handling, and in lost luggage. Most luggage is not insured for much, and the airline will probably give you a hard time if there is an issue. Since Fedex will allow you to insure it, that is probably the best option. In the event that it gets lost, you will have the money to buy a PB, and if it does not get lost on both trips, you have a machine that you are used to.

As for power, you should be able to buy a new cable when you get the the USA.
apfelsaft

2005-03-16, 23:44

Thanks for your quick reply!
Hmmm... Fedex or DHL shipping my iMac G5...

I suppose I need to buy an external hard drive anyway. Just to be sure about not loosing any edited video clips over the ocean.
Will the "LaCie Big Disk Extreme" and my DVX100AE do as carry-on luggage?
I've heard so many bad things about transatlantic flights not allowing passengers any technology (iPods etc.) in the cabin.
jdorian

2005-03-17, 08:05

Put the items in your carry on luggage and pack them well as you might have to carry them several miles. You might want to make copies of the files and put them on DVDs and leave them with a trusted person, just as you would leave your travel plans.
apfelsaft

2005-03-18, 20:46

I'm really considering selling my my 20" iMac G5 now and getting a 12" Powerbook with maximum RAM and 100GB hard disk BTO as soon as it comes with Tiger in April.

The whole shipping the iMac thing does not feel comfortable to me.
If it really gets lost and I have to wait months to get the insurance payment, I will probably go mad.

A 12" Powerbook will fit in my Boblbee backpack with the video camera and the external hard drive. All my precious as carry-on luggage.

And if everything works out fine for me in America, I can get a big TFT as secondary display there.
ironlung

2005-03-18, 20:57

Have you bought your airline tickets yet? If so.. check what type of a plane are you going on. Anything Boeing and the compartments are large enough for anything. I carry my guitar all the time and thats pretty huge. The only people who ever complain are the ones on smaller aircraft such as a propeller.
apfelsaft

2005-03-18, 23:03

The ticket says it is going to be a Lufthansa Boeing 747. My backpack is a hardcase Boblbee Megalopolis Executive. Hopefully it's not too large...
ironlung

2005-03-19, 14:40

hah! Lufthansa has great service, the best ive ever seen. They wont bother you but will try to accomodate you in anyway they can. Boeing 747 has a lot of comparment space!

BTW you can ask them abt the size of the compartment and then check ur imacs specs
apfelsaft

2005-03-22, 16:11

Hi, sorry for the delay, fightclub...
I've talked to some Lufthansa employees the past days. It seems it is absolutely Ok to bring even large electronics as carry on luggage in the cabin.
I gave them the 20" iMacs dimensions and they said "kein Problem"!

Now I need a tough, tight fitting case or bag for the 20" iMac:
iLugger iMac G5 bags look good.
Pelican cases seem too large.

My flight is in june, so I've some time left to try different cases and bags.