User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Watcha Listening To? Revolution Edition.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Watcha Listening To? Revolution Edition.
Page 56 of 64 First Previous 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60  Next Last Thread Tools
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2011-09-21, 17:35

Losing My Religion

R.I.P. R.E.M
tomoe
Veteran Member

2011-09-21, 20:56

For the past few weeks, have been listening to down-tempo metal. Perfect autumn music. In heavy (pun intended) rotation: Sleep, Saint Vitus, The Sword, and Yob.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-09-25, 23:58

Metallica live from Rock In Rio... Right now ! Check it out, live feed on youtube.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-09-28, 11:17

Hugh Laurie's new album, Let Them Talk.

Yeah, that Hugh Laurie. Unabashed blues, and quite good, if you like the blues. I'm impressed. Perfect for a rainy day.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-09-28, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
Hugh Laurie's new album, Let Them Talk.

Yeah, that Hugh Laurie. Unabashed blues, and quite good, if you like the blues. I'm impressed. Perfect for a rainy day.
it's not bad, but I really can't stand that album, him, and the fact that he is on tv all over the place with that album.

The only reason is because he is an actor on TV. There are so many better blues musicians, and so many better blues albums.... and those guys can't catch a break, meanwhile this tool will be in front of every register at Starbucks for the latte crowd.

edit: Like i said, unfortunately the album actually is pretty good... it's just annoying to see how some artists struggle, and this guy can do whatever he wants and make millions.

Last edited by Brave Ulysses : 2011-09-28 at 12:04.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-09-28, 12:17

Welcome to earth, BU. That's pretty much s.o.p.

Believe me...the year I lived in Nashville - all the songwriters, musicians, singers, etc. I'd see in the seediest dives throughout the city at 11:30pm on a Tuesday night. Then walk outside to get in my car, look up and see a billboard with some lame-ass pre-fab "male model dons a cowboy hat and gets a singing contract" act, promoting an album with (awful) songs he didn't write, each one meticulously crafted solely for radio-play and disposability, etc.

When you see actors put out albums, 98% of the time it's exactly because of their fame/clout from their day gig. There have been 1-2 exceptions over the decades, I suppose. But, yeah...that's just how it is.

The purest, sweetest voice I ever heard was from this pudgy redhead in some low-rent, questionable tavern/billiards place just across the river from downtown Nashville. I was transfixed for hours, listening. And she wrote everything she sang (and played a mean guitar). Just her and an acoustic, and hardly anybody even listening.

But she wasn't "pretty" (in the technical, top 40/marketability sense), although, to me, her talent made her quite beautiful. She didn't dance, or have her tits splayed all out. Her songs didn't sound like they were written in a scheduled meeting among professional staff writers whose goal that day was to "write a new hit for Brooks & Dunn", etc.

This was over 10 years ago. I assume she's still doing that, or gave up. I've not seen her on any album covers, TV shows or billboards in all this time.

So, yeah...it sucks. People like her, barring some crazy bit of luck, will never get seen or heard outside that crusty, stale bar (or at family get-togethers), while [fill in the blank with anyone currently clogging up the country top 40 chart], and their stylists, reigns supreme.

It's beyond sad. I think about her, and about all the lousy acts that have been signed, nurtured, promoted, recorded, toured (and eventually kicked off the label because it was finally obvious to everyone they had nothing going for them), etc. And how she probably never even got a legit shot (because she wasn't a Barbie doll or swimsuit model, or some other ace-in-the-hole like an existing TV or movie career).

But if some moderately-talented cast member from Grey's Anatomy or How I Met Your Mother got the itch to "record a country album", they'd automatically, with no credentials or reason other than "they're on TV!", get the top studio, producer(s), musicians, writers, etc. all working for/with them...to produce, at best, some mediocre, derivative shit that nobody with any sense would actually buy on purpose.

All the above applies to all genres, of course. I'm just speaking from my experience, and where I lived/what I listened to and saw first-hand...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2011-09-28 at 12:27.
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2011-09-28, 16:36

FWIW, Laurie actually admonishes anyone who buys the album to seek out any other number of blues musicians if they like his album, and to support local scenes, etc. He rather understands that if it wasn't for his fame, many who buy the album would never realistically be exposed to the blues.

If you want to be pissed off, be pissed off at the record labels that try to take the pretty types with no real ability. At least Laurie is trying to educate others. No, he's no Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, Skip James, etc. But he shares the passion for the music that they do, and he's at least using his fame to try and share with others something that they would never even try to listen to otherwise.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2011-09-28, 17:08

I can think of exactly one time that the "actor/musician" thing turned out some pretty cool stuff (and brought some much-needed mainstream attention to blues music).
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-09-28, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
FWIW, Laurie actually admonishes anyone who buys the album to seek out any other number of blues musicians if they like his album, and to support local scenes, etc. He rather understands that if it wasn't for his fame, many who buy the album would never realistically be exposed to the blues.

If you want to be pissed off, be pissed off at the record labels that try to take the pretty types with no real ability. At least Laurie is trying to educate others. No, he's no Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, Skip James, etc. But he shares the passion for the music that they do, and he's at least using his fame to try and share with others something that they would never even try to listen to otherwise.
no, for sure. I was afraid my diatribe might come across as suggesting otherwise. But what annoys me is that this is what the record labels are interested in, and promote... and it also annoys me that this is what sells.... and that's not the record labels' fault. It's all of ours.

He seems to try to be very humble in the interviews I have seen, and he has surrounded himself with great session players which he has pointed out. But, at the same time, I can't help but think he was sitting at home one day thinking how he always wanted to be a blues player, and then snapped his fingers and had the resources and fame to make it happen and be successful.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-09-28, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
I can think of exactly one time that the "actor/musician" thing turned out some pretty cool stuff (and brought some much-needed mainstream attention to blues music).
yes!

apparently Steve Martin is actually pretty good too.

But the bruce willis, tim robbins, types.... bleh
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2011-09-28, 17:55

Hmm. This looks pretty cool. Setting my DVR now!

Quote:
"Hugh Laurie: Let them Talk - A Celebration of New Orleans Blues" premieres Friday, Sept. 30 at 9 p.m. on "Great Performances" on PBS. Check local listings.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-09-28, 23:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
One time? Are you kidding me?!

..yeah okay, I know; he's a comedian not really an actor.

...alright, alright. Haha
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-10-02, 22:34

I hope you die. It's part of a Spotify playlist posted by one of the music blogs I follow.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
I've got to say, Spotify is really winning me over. It's got everything I've searched for. It's nice not to have to buy a new track every time my son hears something he likes on Pandora because you can't repeat the track. And I've been exploring new bands without fear of wasting money or having to find a torrent of it. I don't like how it doesn't integrate with the iPod/Music app on my iOS devices because that makes it cumbersome to control from my car's HU but that's a minor issue.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-10-19, 22:43

I'm trying out MOG now and while I'd like to like it more than Spotify, it's really struggling to impress me. At least the iPhone app is kind of crappy and that's how I'll be interacting with it since I prefer to listen to music using my iPhone even when I'm at a computer.

Right now, I'm listening to Broken Social Scene "Sweetest Kill". It's part of a "working on a rainy day" playlist. Perfect for a day like today.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2011-10-20, 17:24

Pretenders by The Pretenders. Quite possibly the best debut album ever.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2011-10-26, 09:56

damn it... this song is ridiculously stupid and sticks in your head....

http://vevo.ly/pWwPEs
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-11-03, 09:19

I discovered a pretty awesome band by accident yesterday. The television was tuned to one of those music channels. "CoffeeHouse Rock" I think it was called... which right there you figure about 3 chances in 1000 you get something worth listening to. Who goes to Starbucks for the music? No one. You go there to get ripped off on over-hyped coffee!

So anyway... there's this band called The Raconteurs. I know nothing about them but there was this sort of 70s groovin song called "Old Enough" on and I thought it was pretty decent. So I busted out iTunes and there are about 4 other songs on that album that sound pretty decent, so I buy:

You Don't Understand Me - (not sure who to compare this too but it's a good drunken-piano-rant-with-drum-accompanyment)
Consoler of the Lonely - (Chili-Pepper-Like... slightly angry/edgy without being angst-ridden madness)
Top Yourself - (Sort of Tom-Petty-meets-wailing-slide-guitar type deal...)
Old Enough - (That 70s thing... sort of)

All of these seem like good songs to have going when you have friends over for a few drinks or whatnot. A good mix between mellow-semi-down-troddenness-and-rock-and-roll-with-a-real-beat. If my descriptions amuse you (Mr. Bond), it's worth noting the best bands usually defy obvious descriptions or definitions. Ya Dig?

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2011-11-03 at 17:45.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2011-11-03, 09:32

You've described The Raconteurs well, Moogs, but what's that photo?

Jack White of The White Stripes does vocals and guitar for them.

I have an acoustic version of Steady, As She Goes on vinyl, which must have a pretty decent "play count" by now...
tomoe
Veteran Member

2011-11-03, 16:56

For that past couple weeks, a steady rotation of:

The Melvins
High on Fire
Leonard Cohen
Fang Island
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-11-03, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
You've described The Raconteurs well, Moogs, but what's that photo?

Fixed the link for you. Dig?

Far out, man.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-11-04, 00:31

I've been listening to Mumford and Sons quite a bit lately (I can't get the image of Sanford and Son out of my head every time I hear that band's name. Am I the only one?) so, per Maciej's suggestion, I've started listening to the Heart and the Head. It's right up my alley. Thanks.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-11-07, 21:14

You wanna know what I'm listening too as I enjoy my Spaten?
That's right, bitches... the founder of our internet feast...

Spoiler (click to toggle):

Aldo Freaking Nova...

Are you a card-carrying member?

¡Damned!

2011-11-07, 21:21

Moogs is just a fantasy....
¡Damned!

2011-11-07, 21:29

This is totally beneath me and the lyrics makes my head teh dumb, but I've been listening to Friends non-stop. Just a couple of singles, mind you. They're new. They make me entirely uneasy and their stupid lyrics suggest that I don't know the younger generation at all - which makes me want to jump off of the nearest bridge.

But they are pop with an awesome groove and I love them immensely.

Today.

So it goes.
murbot
Hoonigan

2011-11-07, 22:28

I've been rockin Puscifer's new album, Conditions of My Parole. I have a favorite few tracks that clicked right away, and I think the rest just need a few more listens. Pretty sweet stuff.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-11-07, 22:34

I've had the new Childish Gambino album, Camp, on replay all day. So good. Great to hear original hip hop.
murbot
Hoonigan

2011-11-07, 23:21

Oh yeah, have to tip my hat to Moogs. Awesome stuff, man.

I have to admit I listened to that album a thousand times when I was younger. I could sing every word in every song off that sumbitch.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2011-11-08, 06:40

I'm really digging the new Feist album, Metals. I don't know if it's "good" in the Pitchfork sense, but I like it.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2011-11-08, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Moogs is just a fantasy....
I've been trying to remind my wife of that fact recently. Will let you know on Friday if it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Oh yeah, have to tip my hat to Moogs. Awesome stuff, man.

I have to admit I listened to that album a thousand times when I was younger. I could sing every word in every song off that sumbitch.

Aldo only sounds better with age, like a fine wine. I think it's the helicopter-and-laser sound-effects-leading-to-massive-guitar-riff at the beginning that does it for me. You don't need 5 hour energy when you got that in your ear. [/legendary80srock]

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2011-11-26, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
This is totally beneath me and the lyrics makes my head teh dumb, but I've been listening to Friends non-stop. Just a couple of singles, mind you. They're new. They make me entirely uneasy and their stupid lyrics suggest that I don't know the younger generation at all - which makes me want to jump off of the nearest bridge.

But they are pop with an awesome groove and I love them immensely.

Today.
Dunno. Can't get into it at all. The Guardian gave them a good mention here.

Maybe you understand Azealia Banks' lyrics better. 212 reminds me of Dizzee Rascal in his Boy in da Corner days. ENERGY. Fresh fresh fresh.