Page 1 of 7 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-14, 14:41

It's iPhone, it's new. Have fun.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-14, 14:58

No white or silver model on the 13, but Starlight instead. Looks a bit creamier/off-white? Or maybe it just looks that way in pics and “”starlight” is their new, cool way of saying white (or silver).
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-14, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
It's iPhone, it's new. Have fun.
Capella is SO much better at this!!

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-14, 15:44

Yeah, I think it's a cream white. We'll have to see in person.

I dig the blue. Will probably buy that in a few weeks. Starting from 128 GB is great.

This thread is presumably also for the Pros? I also dig the Sierra Blue.

The Pros should start at 256 GB.

They're doing the silly "it's $30 more if you don't do a carrier deal" thing again. Doesn't affect me (I get the phone via company carrier contract anyway), but, bleh.

It sounds like the iPhone Pro records the depth mapping during the video, and puts it in a separate metadata track, so you can change portrait setting, after the fact, in video. That's pretty great. (Perhaps not even Pro-specific?) In general, cinematic mode sounds fantastic.

120 Hz on iPhone Pro is a bit overdue compared to the competition; seamlessly clocking down to 10 Hz to save energy is great, though (and I think the competition can't do that trick?). It is a bummer they didn't — unlike the competition — add an always-on mode; Samsung does this to show you the time and basic widgets. They could've leveraged watchOS complications here, even.

I'd say this is overall a fairly minor upgrade, but I don't mind.

I'm excited to see how much faster y-o-y the A15 is; they seem to be on a trajectory of about 18% y-o-y right now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-14, 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Capella is SO much better at this!!

Oh, believe me, I would rather Capella do it. But …

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-09-14, 15:54

https://forums.applenova.com/showpos...6&postcount=41

Quote:
Right, I should have been more specific in that it bugs me that my current 12 Pro Max won't get the goodies the 13 Pros are getting (ProRes especially), because it doesn't seem like there's much of a technical hurdle to do so. If it's just a software lockout like PM PB mentions above, it seems pretty shitty.
Gotcha. That might be a performance thing, though; encoding ProRes in real time requires a fast CPU and (especially?) fast flash storage.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-14, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
YThey're doing the silly "it's $30 more if you don't do a carrier deal" thing again. Doesn't affect me (I get the phone via company carrier contract anyway), but, bleh.
Wait a minute...what does that mean exactly? $30 more for what?

Please don't tell me they hit you with that if you have the means/desire to buy the thing outright, upfront ($699+tax, etc.).

Because, typically, the way commerce and buying/selling shit works is that you might get a little break, $30 going in the other direction if you pay in full, upfront (and don't do some payment plan/installment thing).

Before I start yelling and cussing and calling Tim and Apple horrible, denigrating names, I want to be sure I'm grasping it correctly.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-14, 16:34

I'm pretty sure it's the other way. You save $30 through the carrier, or something. Apple's configuration page lists the prices at "$699" or whatever, and if you follow through far enough there is a carrier contract thingy that knocks off $30.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
chucker

2021-09-14, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Wait a minute...what does that mean exactly? $30 more for what?
They introduced this with… the iPhone 11? 12?

The $799 iPhone 13 is actually $829, and then the carrier gives you a $30 rebate. Unless, that is, you don't want to activate with the carrier (or are with a non-eligible carrier).

Quote:
Because, typically, the way commerce and buying/selling shit works is that you might get a little break, $30 going in the other direction if you pay in full, upfront (and don't do some payment plan/installment thing).
Play with their store configurator. If you select a carrier or none, the price suddenly changes and you get weird stuff like "Includes $30 T-Mobile instant discount (requires activation)."
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-14, 16:50

Confusing.

I've actually never bought an iPhone through Apple. Since 2007, across four brand new models (original, 4, 5 and first-gen SE) I've gone to my AT&T Store. The iPhone 5 (2012) and SE (2016), I paid cash, outright, for. They charged the $x99 pricing of whatever you saw at Apple's site, the keynotes, etc.

Yeah, they've started doing this recently.

All this stuff is confusing. I'd want them to go ahead and activate it for me, but I'd want to keep the same plan I've had for years and years and works great for me...lowest possible price, 300MB(!) data (which I never come close to going over as I live my entire life in and around wifi), unlimited talk, unlimited text (although most everyone I message is on iPhones and I can't remember the last time I saw a green carrier text, except the one in those group messages that keeps me from "leaving this conversation".

The store configurator adds $30 to the price if I select "activate yourself later" or something like that, which I never really have.

They don't do this on the iPhone SE. It's $399 no matter what I click or how I go about it. That number never changes, not that I see.

I honestly don't know what to expect. I do get confused on the lingo, process, etc.

They kinda present/phrase it all a bit weird, don't they? And I can't help but think "well, they count on people not fully grasping WTF is going on at times like this". I've been using cell phones since summer 2004 and I don't think I've ever had a sensible, straightforward or "well, of course...that makes all the sense in the world!" conversation at the phone store (AT&T in my case, but I've been to Verizon and Sprint stores with friends and it's the same thing). I truly believe you could go to the same store three times in one day, 2-3 hours apart, and ask three separate employees the exact same question and you'd get three complete different, contradicting answers.

"You can walk out of here today with a new iPhone, absolutely nothing out of pocket!"

"Bullshit."

"Well, there are actually some..."

"Exactly, but that's not what you said, is it? Bug off."

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-14 at 17:09.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-14, 17:50

How do you do trade-ins?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-14, 18:17

I think you have to ship it back for evaluation?
¡Damned!

2021-09-14, 18:44

Or you can bring it in-store for an estimate. Apple Trade In
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-14, 19:57

Well here's a headline I never thought I'd see.

But if the "trade-off" (if you can even use that word with such minuscule numbers) is bigger, longer-lasting battery, then...yay. That's the sort of thing people appreciate. Not thinness for bragging rights/design awards.
Quagmire
meh

2021-09-14, 20:14

The battery life increase is the big draw for me. It's the one thing I miss about the 11 Pro Max. The 11 Pro Max was a battery beast. Of course I will miss Pacific Blue when going to Sierra Blue.

giggity
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-09-14, 20:41

Quote:
Well here's a headline I never thought I'd see.

But if the "trade-off" (if you can even use that word with such minuscule numbers) is bigger, longer-lasting battery, then...yay. That's the sort of thing people appreciate. Not thinness for bragging rights/design awards.
Must be more of the post Jony Ive world taking hold.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2021-09-15, 05:43

I've done the trade-in with Apple the last few years. It's super easy. I just buy the phone outright and send the other one back. Ends up costing me like $459 to trade in an iPhone 12 Pro 256 for the 13 Pro 256. Once you get through the first one of buying outright, it's not bad to upgrade with their trade-in system cost wise.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-15, 07:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Must be more of the post Jony Ive world taking hold.
Yeah, I was wondering if such a thing would’ve happened 4-5 years ago (although I think there have been a few slight thickness increases on a few models over the years, so I can’t ding him unfairly.

But still…way more examples of stuff getting needlessly thin and precious for no obvious reason, so…
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-15, 09:18

Also, isn’t it interesting how quiet and “normal” everything is, less than 24 hours later? Just kinda shows that, big picture, this stuff is commonplace/expected and no longer the big news/cultural rallying point it once was.

In many ways the iPhone “peaked” (not meant in a negative way at all) some years ago. An overall look/design had been settled on (only deviating a year ago with the the teturn(!) to the more squared-off iPhone 4/5 styling).

Recent releases have focused on the camera updates and things centered around it, but let’s be honest…the iPhone is plenty fast/powerful, any model, and it already does/replaces 55 other items or devices in one’s life. All the “low hanging fruit”, as they say, was snatched years ago. The NFC stuff, the GPS/location-awareness, the privacy and security aspects, the App Store, the display and battery improvements, etc.

COVID aside, do folks still even camp out or stand in line for these things anymore? If so, it doesn’t get covered as it once did, which only proves my original point. The “big event” aspect has slowly gone away, and now we all know we’re going to get solid yearly updates with a handful of new features/capabilities, but much (most?) of the true change and “oh wow!” is to be found under-the-hood, in the OS driving the thing.

That, to me, is where all the fun, cool stuff is happening.

Let’s face it: Apple could “freeze” the iPhone for 2-3 years, offering only the new iPhone 13 lineup until fall of 2023 or so and it’s still more phone than anyone could handle, or ever truly need.

I sometimes wonder if they’ll remove themselves from that “every year” hamster wheel and take a “when we have 3-5 truly compelling, game-changing features, then we’ll release a new iPhone. And it may take longer than a year. It might be every two, or more.”

But with the competition and all, they wouldn’t dare. Gotta chase those yearly spec bumps and “on paper” improvements lest Samsung and others create snarky ad campaigns centered around Apple’s “complacency” or lack of yearly spec-chasing.

Anyone buying an iPhone 13 (any version) knows, deep down, they’ve got more phone/tech in their pocket than they could ever truly fully use/tap into in two lifetimes.

Anyway, it just hit me, prowling around online this morning, just how you’d never know a new iPhone was just announced. Years ago, the story would still be “above the fold” at CNN and others. Made me realize just how much has changed the past 10 or so years. Not good/bad, just different.

The iPhone is now a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. Solid, respectable and popular everyday/everybody-has-one devices that very few are losing their shit over on a yearly basis anymore.

It’s been fun/interesting to watch that evolution/transition over the years.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-15, 09:21

So this is interesting. There are a bunch of trade-in offers going with this phone now. Not sure how to get figure out the possible options for upgrading Mrs T's phone if I do.

AT&T will pay $1000 toward your new Pro over 36 months. It is a bill credit though. So you get a charge for the "installment" due on the phone followed by a bill credit for the $1000/36.

Apparently they will also take a functional phone as a trade in for a deeper discount too. Not sure on this part but apparently all carriers in the US are doing this. Verizon doesn't care if the screen is broken from what I've read. They also only go 24-30 months instead of 36 like AT&T.

Hmmm....

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-15, 09:25

Quote:
Anyone buying an iPhone 13 (any version) knows, deep down, they’ve got more phone/tech in their pocket than they could ever truly fully use/tap into in two lifetimes.
This is really true. Mrs T watched the presentation with me yesterday and got excited about the camera features. Couldn't care less about the other aspects, just the camera specs. Is that phone more powerful than all of her previous ones combined, possibly but it doesn't matter. She has two requirements for a phone as stated this morning over coffee:
1) Does it keep a signal and not drop calls?
2) Does it take great pictures?

Pretty simple and yet there is so much capability beyond that.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-15, 09:29

For those eager/willing to do the looking and digging around, there are probably some good dess as is to be had. And with a starting price of $699, I think it’s worth it to try.

I, personally, wouldn’t jump through any real hoops for a $399 SE, but you’re getting into some serious money on these flagship models (especially if you go the Pro route).

Definitely worth looking into to get the best deal/savings, when some of these models are more expensive than an actual Mac.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-15, 09:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Pretty simple and yet there is so much capability beyond that.
You could probably run the space program with a few dozen iPhones.

You always hear those stories - and I don't know how true/accurate they are - about the tech on the space shuttle and various satellites/space stations being a bit "old school" and basic. I always thought..."why? It's NASA, don't they have people to design/build better, more capable stuff? They're rocket scientists. Literally, no joke!"

I figure you could run a small island nation on an iPhone at this point, and certainly a medium-sized widget-making factory (toilet paper holders or fruit baskets).

When you think about the power we all carry around in our pockets every day - and often take for granted - it's truly Star Trek-level stuff. If someone from 1966 time-traveled to 2021, their poor head would explode.

"This stuff actually exists?!?"

Now for the fun part: imagine 40-50 years from now, seeing all we've seen in just the past 10 or so years. The things that we think - either limited by available tech or our imaginations - simply "aren't possible" in 2021 (the same way that guy from 1966 couldn't have imagined something like an iPhone).

Exactly.

Everything, and anything, is possible. Sometimes it's just a timing, or vision, issue.

But it all catches up and seems to work itself out.

You gotta take a bit of a Willy Wonka approach to this stuff.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-15 at 09:49.
chucker

2021-09-15, 10:30

Quote:
Also, isn’t it interesting how quiet and “normal” everything is, less than 24 hours later? Just kinda shows that, big picture, this stuff is commonplace/expected and no longer the big news/cultural rallying point it once was.

In many ways the iPhone “peaked” (not meant in a negative way at all) some years ago. An overall look/design had been settled on (only deviating a year ago with the the teturn(!) to the more squared-off iPhone 4/5 styling).

Recent releases have focused on the camera updates and things centered around it, but let’s be honest…the iPhone is plenty fast/powerful, any model, and it already does/replaces 55 other items or devices in one’s life. All the “low hanging fruit”, as they say, was snatched years ago. The NFC stuff, the GPS/location-awareness, the privacy and security aspects, the App Store, the display and battery improvements, etc.

[..]

The iPhone is now a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. Solid, respectable and popular everyday/everybody-has-one devices that very few are losing their shit over on a yearly basis anymore.
Yep. Starting around the iPhone 7 and iOS 10, it has matured. There will be upgrades as technology marches on — say, to 6G, at some point in the next ten years.

But we're no longer in the Mac System 1-7 days (or iOS 1-9 days) where every new release brought major changes. macOS 1 did not have drag & drop, scripting, multitasking, networking (can you imagine?), or video playback. iOS 1 did not have copy & paste, third-party apps, multitasking, push notifications, or video recording. The Macintosh 128K did not have arrow keys; the iPhone did not have 3G (much less LTE or 5G), nor was its camera practical for video capture (in fact, it was generally horrible).

So frankly, I went into the event expecting to be a little bored. I did not even watch last year's iPhone 12 event, perhaps in part because people remarked that it felt a bit like an advertisement for 5G with Verizon®.

Setting my expectations like that, I did see a few things that delighted me (I wonder how cinematic mode will feel in practice, for example) and a few things that bummed me, but mostly felt satisfied that, yeah, Apple is iterating just fine, despite a year where it's tricky to source any components whatsoever.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-15, 10:55

I just realized that the Pro is now as big as the old "r" series. Apparently they made it even with the non-pro with the 12. Not sure I want a phone bigger than the 11 Pro but yet I want the cameras.

Man, when can I get fatter as opposed to larger screen? Or a mini with Pro camera specs.

chucker

2021-09-15, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I just realized that the Pro is now as big as the old "r" series. Apparently they made it even with the non-pro with the 12. Not sure I want a phone bigger than the 11 Pro but yet I want the cameras.

Man, when can I get fatter as opposed to larger screen? Or a mini with Pro camera specs.
It's probably a can't-please-everyone thing, but I would indeed prefer a fatter 13 mini or 13 regular. Maybe we'll one day see a Pro mini (there is the Pro Max, after all) that is fatter but has the same camera optics as the Pro and Pro Max do.

This is basically the same problem as with the MacBooks Pro — the 16-inch does far more than the 13-inch. It wasn't like that in the past; the 12-inch PowerBook G4 was basically as powerful as the 17-inch, and it achieved that by being a lot fatter. We'll see in October if they're willing to go back to those days. Probably not.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-15, 11:00

chucker, exactly. That's how I am at this point. All the really big, major "OMG, they can do this?!" stuff has been done, so now it's just solid, steady improvements, year after year. Some big and cool, some barely noticeable. But each year is a better, smarter and more capable iPhone. The iPhone in 2021 isn't like it was in 2007 (or even 2010-2011), so yeah...just the natural way things play out (and how they're covered/presented by others).

The hysteria has settled down. It happened with the iMac and iPod, so nothing is immune from being "old hat"/commonplace (but that doesn't automatically translate into worthless or lame, mind you). Just means "it's arrived, and is its own thing".
chucker

2021-09-15, 11:08

Quote:
The hysteria has settled down. It happened with the iMac and iPod, so nothing is immune from being "old hat"/commonplace (but that doesn't automatically translate into worthless or lame, mind you). Just means "it's arrived, and is its own thing".
Yup. It's a bit of a bummer, but there's kind of nothing wrong with that.

And for non-enthusiasts, it's actually great. They get a dependable product.

For us, well… maybe Apple Glasses will be the next big thing. Maybe Apple Watch will have another sensor breakthrough.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-09-15, 11:22

I'll be trading in my 12 Pro for a 13 mini I think. (The cost would only be $7.27/month for the min after credits)

I wish they kept the 2020 colors for the mini though. The colors last year were much better. I'll probably end up with the blue mini and see how that treats me.

I just want something a bit smaller to bring out of the house. I have an iMac, MBP, and iPad to view things on, so no shortage of screens.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-15, 11:32

Yeah, that's why I'm always big (ha) on the smaller phones. I've got a Mac. I could have an iPad if I wanted/needed. I don't need to be carrying around a huge phone every day for it to do what I need it to do. I will be so genuinely bummed the day Apple is like "okay, nothing below 6"...deal with it".

Right now, with the SE (and a "mini" flagship model hopefully in the mix for a good while), I'm okay and have options.

Yeah, these new colors aren't exactly making me want to drool or write an essay.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-15 at 11:54.