AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Address Importing to Address Book question

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Address Importing to Address Book question
LenrdZelig

2006-02-26, 23:13

Hello all

Yet another stupid question.

Where i work I publish a small newsletter intermittently via email. Nothing terribly fancy, just html and a few pics here and there with announcements of events, new things, etc etc.

Since I have the Mac Mini, I thought I would give it try publishing it on the Mini.

I have the address list from the "other" computer. I had difficulty exporting the files in any type of vcal format (but that is a problem for another type of system)

I WAS able to export the email addresses into a text file - each line (of about 400 email addresses) is listed - one email address on each line.

Is there any way I can convert this into any usable format for the address book on Mac OSX? I've looked for text to vcal converters but converting the one file with the addresses in them just results in a file that is unusable with address book -

And as a side note, since I'm fresh on the Mac platform, any reccommendations on preferred softs for publishing/ creating newsletters, and newsletter list management (taking care of dead addresses, etc etc)

I'm all "ears"

once again, thanks.
jsk173

2006-02-27, 01:14

MaxBulk Mailer has been good for me. You can find it at VersionTracker.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-02-27, 01:37

Quote:
I have the address list from the "other" computer. I had difficulty exporting the files in any type of vcal format
Were there any other file types available besides text?
LenrdZelig

2006-02-27, 09:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
Were there any other file types available besides text?

As of last night no. I would attempt to export them from the program and for whatever reason it would not work. That is to say, the program is SUPPOSED to let me export the information, but it woudln't. I found a 3rd part app that would allow me to save it in a text format document at the very least. The 3rd party app ALSO let me save the information in a ".lst" file, if that makes any difference.
LenrdZelig

2006-02-27, 16:06

For anyone who may be interested or may have a similar problem at a future date, I found a program that worked called Address Book Importer (truth in a name)

http://homepage.mac.com/sroy/addressbookimporter/

Fairly straightforward interface, allowed me to "dump" all the email addresses into the Address book once I told the program which category to place said information. Neat little program - surprised that there isn't something similar already built in. But no matter.....

If there is another way to do this, however, I'd still be interested.

Side note - any way that I can set a second "tag" for all of the 400 email addresses at once? I imported them all into their own grouping, but it'd be nice to have a second way to keep them segregated out of my "regular" addresses.