User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

403 Forbidden and FTP problems too

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
403 Forbidden and FTP problems too
moosie99

2006-11-03, 15:52

Hi guys, I'm a bit of a lurker here (though I'm a regular reader as it were) but I'm in a really tight spot and was looking for some problem solving and advice?!

So I was working on a hand-coded website for someone using XHTML and CSS. They had previously used FrontPage, so when it came to uploading the site I removed all the files and folders thinking that they would no longer be neccessary.

However what I've now found is that the website comes up with a 403 Forbidden error "You don't have permission to access /~naturistholidays.co.uk/public_html/ on this server." The site is http://naturistholidays.co.uk (I know ) if anyone can confirm and take a look for themselves.

"Fine" I thought, I'll just go back into my FTP app (Panic's Transmit on Mac OSX) and restore the original backed-up site and work out what went wrong from there. Unfortunately I'm now getting an error in Transmit telling me that it "Could not connect to ftp.naturistholidays.co.uk" because the "Connection timed out or server hung up". The FTP details haven't changed from last time when everything worked perfectly. Am I right in thinking the FTP can;'t connect because I deleted those files previously?

I know for a fact that my index.html page is on the site, but when I type in http://www.naturistholidays.co.uk/index.html it just tells me that "The requested URL /~naturistholidays.co.uk/public_html/index.html was not found on this server." The index file should be sitting in the top layer of the site, not in any folders so I guess that's why it doesn't come up?

What can I do? Is there anything I can do from my end or will I have to get the web hosting company to restore the folder structure at their end?? I don't want to jump to conclusions but am I right in thinking FrontPage is at least partly to blame?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!
Hector
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-11-03, 16:16

My first guess is you deleted the route .htaccess file which usually handles access to files and what not. Based on the /~naturistholidies.co.uk/public_html/ remark I'm guessing this is shared hosting. Email the host's support people and see if they can replace the .htaccess file that you might have accidently deleted.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-11-03, 16:49

Naturist Holidays, eh? Nice.
moosie99

2006-11-03, 17:53

Thanks jdcfsu, I think it's just a question of getting the support guys to put evevrything back the way it was. I figure the .htaccess file went when I deleted everything else. Would that explain the FTP access issues too?

Bryson - down around Portsmouth way if you're interested
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2006-11-03, 20:44

It could explain the FTP access issues. I personally have never seen an .htaccess file set to control FTP, but it's possible. If the support team can restore the directory, or at least return it to a usable state from which you can start from, then you'll be good to go. I'd be curious to see what's in the .htaccess file if it does control the FTP as well.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter