ETA of next MacBook Pros?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
ETA of next MacBook Pros?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-04-03, 01:37

With both Leopard and iPhone apparently due in June, is there a consensus ETA for new MacBook Pros? I've been using the same PowerBook G4 since July 2004; the launch of iPhone and especially Leopard seems like a good time to upgrade, but not sure if Apple will be cooperative. Thanks.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-04-03, 05:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
With both Leopard and iPhone apparently due in June, is there a consensus ETA for new MacBook Pros? I've been using the same PowerBook G4 since July 2004; the launch of iPhone and especially Leopard seems like a good time to upgrade, but not sure if Apple will be cooperative. Thanks.
I'm certain there will be a bump before Leopard is launched (or very shortly afterward). Mac Buyers Guide says that the MBP averages a 182 product cycle and is now on day 160 of that.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-04-03, 05:25

NAB?

Hell, just about everything could be updated at NAB.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2007-04-03, 06:17

Probably the upcoming Santa Rosa architecture. 800 MHz FSB and that kinda stuff... Probably sometime 2007 H2.

Somewhat old linky
minDGarden

2007-04-03, 08:52

I too am going to purchase a new MBP to replace my G4 PB. I'm awaiting Leopard or there abouts so I don’t have to pay extra for the new OS. Previously I’ve updated a machine just before a new OS was released but luckily only had to pay £15 to upgrade to the new OS. Does anybody know the eligibility time scales for this type of upgrade?

From my past experience new Macs are released approximately April and October of each year. Don’t get caught out in haste as I have previously!
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2007-04-03, 12:13

Alright, heres a similar question:

Any speculation on how big the upgrade will be? I am probably going to purchase a MacBook Pro in the coming month. How big of an idiot will I feel like when they upgrade in August?

If the answer is 133 MHz faster bus and 167 MHz faster CPU, the answer to that question is "very little." But if the answer is all new case, and 4+ GB RAM limit, the answer is "fuck!"

I am not sure why that article says Santa Rosa will be 64-bit... Merom is already 64-bit. And the upgraded GMA in Santa Rosa is irrelevant, because the MPB has dedicated graphics. And the 802.11n is also irrelevant, as the MBP already has that, too.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-04-03, 13:47

21 days 17 hours and 29.764 seconds.
apple007
BANNED

2007-04-03, 21:58

Following up on Kraetos' follow-up, are the new MBPs supposed to have a new case/form factor or am I getting my rumors mixed up? Thanks.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2007-04-03, 22:03

Quote:
Following up on Kraetos' follow-up, are the new MBPs supposed to have a new case/form factor or am I getting my rumors mixed up? Thanks.
The most likely case change would be a switch to the magnetic latch the current MacBook has, but other minor changes are always possible. I wouldn't expect a major overhaul, though. I think the system most likely to get a complete physical overhaul is the iMac.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Frank777
Veteran Member

2007-04-03, 22:18

All the machines kept the same form factor in the last year, so as to minimize concerns about the Intel transition.

Whether the same aluminium treatment remains doesn't really matter, but the Pro Books must gain the features of its cheaper siblings, namely the better latch and user-replaceable hard drive.
photoworks

Send a message via AIM to photoworks Send a message via Skype™ to photoworks 
2007-04-05, 03:57

i was wondering if the next version of the MacBook Pro will be available in black like they did for the Macbook.

Hopefullly they will as well include Leopard as well.

trevo

2007-04-09, 04:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoworks View Post
i was wondering if the next version of the MacBook Pro will be available in black like they did for the Macbook.
Unlikely.

I still haven't adjusted to the new name of the notebook line but I suppose I'm just going to miss my PB....
apple007
BANNED

2007-04-09, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevo View Post
I still haven't adjusted to the new name of the notebook line but I suppose I'm just going to miss my PB....
Ditto. "PowerBook" is such a better name than "MacBook Pro."
Anthem

2007-04-09, 11:48

Quote:
Ditto. "PowerBook" is such a better name than "MacBook Pro."
I was sure they'd go with "ProBook." Close to "Powerbook," keeps the same initials, etc.

MacBook isn't much worse than iBook, but MacBook Pro sounds stupid.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-04-09, 13:23

My official predictions: New Powerboo - dammit! - MacBook Pros at NAB, followed by new Mac Pros and displays and (one more thing) iMac at WWDC.

The MacBook gets updated either alongside the MBP or shortly afterwards, to make the education buying season. The Mac mini gets a quiet bump in May, and Leopard? That's anyone's guess.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2007-04-09, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
My official predictions: New Powerboo - dammit! - MacBook Pros at NAB, followed by new Mac Pros and displays and (one more thing) iMac at WWDC.

The MacBook gets updated either alongside the MBP or shortly afterwards, to make the education buying season. The Mac mini gets a quiet bump in May, and Leopard? That's anyone's guess.
There's some problems with this scenario.

Macbook Pros could indeed be announced at NAB and set to ship in May. Intel is supposed to be shipping Centrino Pro in early may so that works.

The iMac could be announced at anytime. My hunch is that the iMac will move from Merom procs to Conroe/Kentsfield. Apple is merely waiting for the Intel price cuts due April 22nd which puts the pricing of Conroe/Kentsfield procs at an affordable level.

The Mac mini will be likely based on Centrino Pro so it could be updated along with the Macbook and Macbook Pro. We will not see new Mac Pro at WWDC but we may seen new configurations (ie new graphics or optical choices) the next hardware revision doesn't happen until Q3 of this year with Penryn/Stoakley.

Apple should be able to space this stuff out nicely.

omgwtfbbq
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-04-09, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I was sure they'd go with "ProBook." Close to "Powerbook," keeps the same initials, etc.

MacBook isn't much worse than iBook, but MacBook Pro sounds stupid.
ProBook sounds dumb, like some kind of SomethingAwful.com piss-take. I like MacBook, not so wild about MacBook Pro, it seems a lot like an over simplification: that they have a Mac Pro and a Mac Mini implies to me that they should have a Mac. But they won't drop the i from iMac, I suppose.
pwat

2007-04-10, 13:58

Is there an appreciable change for the average non power user in the new chip or would a refurbished MB Pro at 2299 be a reasonable way to go? I know the newer model will be out in 1 wk or 3 months...who knows...but is it worth waiting. The refurbed model seems a good deal as long as there is no real power difference in the new chip. This is just a laptop to do simple tasks on, tho in the future who knows.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-04-10, 15:53

The current MacBook Pro is very Powerful. Much faster than the PowerBooks it replaced. I'd say go for the refurb.
pwat

2007-04-13, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
The current MacBook Pro is very Powerful. Much faster than the PowerBooks it replaced. I'd say go for the refurb.
Thanks for the info.
I heard rumor that the new chip was expandable....anyone have knowledge of that???
nickwoolley

2007-04-15, 14:55

So since NAB has finished, when do we all think the next macbook pro might come out?
Frank777
Veteran Member

2007-04-15, 15:06

Early May, exactly when everyone's been saying they'll come out.
macuser256

2007-04-15, 16:15

you know as a follow-up to NAB they could bump some stuff this coming tuesday. Probably not very likely but who knows.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-04-15, 16:37

I think the next MBP / MB refreshes will be low-key happenings, no special event, etc. Just an update to the Apple store and home page probably. Would make sense to release them the week before FCS2 ships. Basically Apple's MO is to just string one announcement after the other, more or less evenly spaced in the time remaining between now and "The Next Big Thing", which at this time, is WWDC. At some other time it may be MWSF or whatever.

...into the light of a dark black night.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-04-21, 16:15

I'm in the market for a new computer. My 12'' PB only holds a charge for an hour now (if I'm lucky..)

I'm hoping for this Tuesday.. Surely they will be updated before WWDC though.. I can't wait that long.

Deal with it.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2007-04-21, 17:51

Anyone know when the new BMW 3 Series is coming out? I'm in the market for a new car: I got a flat tyre yesterday.
hobbit.2

2007-04-21, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnick4 View Post
I'm hoping for this Tuesday.. Surely they will be updated before WWDC though.. I can't wait that long.
Not many people know when the next MBPs will arrive. And those who do cannot talk.
So let's try an educated guess, then:

Most seem to agree that the next generation will come with the Santa Rosa chipset. So no updates before that.
Recent rumors suggest Santa Rosa will be revealed May 9th. Which means next Tuesday is definitely not going to happen. Wednesday 9th, or likely Tuesday the 15th of May at the very earliest.

In past years Apple did a lot of PowerBooks introductions either in May or August/September. So May could work.

Yet the majority also seems to agree that Apple does not want to steal thunder from the iPhone's launch which is end of June. Plus/Minus 4-6 weeks around end of June nothing else will likely get introduced. That means mid May at the latest.

But then there's WWDC June 11th. Barely 3 weeks before the iPhone launch is pushing it, but there could be an announcement as WWDC is typically a pro product forum.
However traditionally, with very few exceptions, Apple hasn't used WWDC to introduce hardware.

Furthermore with Merom it took Apple about 3-4 months (!) after Intel's official announcement until they started using the chip. Meaning it would rather be mid/end of August than May. Which would also fit with Apple's average August/September time frame.

Also some reports suggested that Apple will up the MBP screen resolution the moment Lepoard arrives as Leopard features resolution independence. Apple needs an HD capable MBP to give Final Cut Pro users full res previews on the road; but even the 17" model would be too small for 1080p resolution, it would not offer legible font sizes. So without resolution independence this will not happen. We all know Leopard arrives end of October (hopefully).

From all this I can deduct 3 scenarios:

1.) New MBPs between mid May and WWDC keynote at the very latest.
These will likely be a stop-gap compromise introduction without HD screens or drives (lacking Leopard).
A full HD capable MBP lineup would then be likely for MWSF in January 2008.

2.) If there are no MBPs until WWDC new MBPs should arrive in October with HD drives and at least one model offering full resolution 1080p playback.

3.) A mixture of the two:
New 15" MBPs between mid May and WWDC (or missing that perhaps July/August) and a new high-end 17" MBP HD model in October/November.

That's my best guess today.

Last edited by hobbit.2 : 2007-04-21 at 19:18.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-04-21, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
Anyone know when the new BMW 3 Series is coming out? I'm in the market for a new car: I got a flat tyre yesterday.
I guess you don't get what I'm saying, Dorian Gray.

Let me explain my situation further:

By buying a new battery, I would be investing in old technology (3-year old G4). I don't think it's that smart to invest in the PowerPC platform if I have the money now to buy a new computer. I am a college student who has saved enough money to buy a new compy.

So, stop with the sarcasm

Deal with it.
hobbit.2

2007-04-22, 01:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnick4 View Post
I don't think it's that smart to invest in the PowerPC platform if I have the money now to buy a new computer.
But the former might still be the wiser choice. If you're after a 17" model and would like to wait for the HD variant with a 1920x1200 screen and HD drive, then you'll likely have to wait at least until October/November, possibly January 2008. That's another 1/2 - 3/4 of a year. What you're gonna do in the meantime?

You can either buy one of the existing MBPs (which buys you old technology), or you can wait until July where you may or may not be disappointed and end up still buying old technology, or you can set yourself up to wait until possibly January. In the latter case it does make sense to buy a new battery for your old PowerBook as it will help ease the pain a lot until January.

And in case you buy a new battery now and against the odds Apple introduces your dream MBP in the next few weeks, at least the resale value of your old PowerBook is much higher with a brand new battery.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-04-22, 02:19

Well, if you are talking about investing a new computer versus increasing longevity for a year, if you spend 2000 USD in a computer now, or put that same 2000 USD into a mutual fund making a very conservative 7% a year, by spending 100 USD on a battery and buy the computer in a year, you make about 36 USD including capital gain tax. :P Now, while that isn't too much money, the point is, you not only not lose money, you'll beat inflation.

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.