User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

How long do registries/registrars hold expired domains before offering them for sale?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How long do registries/registrars hold expired domains before offering them for sale?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-09, 02:08

Sale, rent, whatever.

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but it concerns web development, so I guess it fits here better than anywhere else (save maybe the Genius Bar, but whatevs).

The question is in the title. Do domain registrars hold onto domains after they expire? I ask because whenever I a domain I'm watching expires it seems like it's in this sort of limbo for a while (30 days? longer?) before I can register it. Does that depend on the registry? Does anyone know? I think that's what the "put to sleep" thing I asked about before is, because I've seen some "put to sleep" domains become available again, with time.

There is a domain I am eyeing and, assuming it is not renewed (and I have a hunch it won't be), it expires a few days before I might "need" it. So that's why I'm asking.

Thanks for any replies.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2009-10-09, 02:37

From personal experience, my registrar does hold onto domains for a couple of weeks (maybe a month, I'm not sure). That's to give you another chance if you forget to renew it or forget to pay the bill or whatever.

That may not be the same for other registrars so YMMV, but my registrar does hold onto domains. I don't know if that's the put to sleep thing. And I don't know how it entirely works out, because I've never let a domain expire.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-09, 02:42

Thanks!

If the current owner's registrar (Fabulous dot com, WTF?) keeps it for two weeks, I'll barely be able to get it in time. If they keep it for a month, though, no such luck.

*sets iCal event*

Of course, they'll probably renew it anyway, but oh well. It's a nice thought.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-10-11, 01:27

Does anybody else want to weigh in? Is two weeks pretty much standard?