Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

MacBook Pro (2007, 2.2 Core 2 Duo) screen / graphics issues

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacBook Pro (2007, 2.2 Core 2 Duo) screen / graphics issues
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2012-01-13, 18:09

It's been rather a long time since I've posted on here, and it seems that every time I do, it's with tales of woe. This is no exception.

I was using my MBP this afternoon (a stalwart machine that's served me well since March 2008), when the screen suddenly began to flicker violently, changing colors, showing bits of Safari and Twitter amongst the chaos. Unfortunately, I did not get a proper screen shot - perhaps because of panic, but more likely because anything I tried to do on my keyboard didn't seem to have any effect. The only way I could stop this malady was to perform a hard reboot (holding the power button until the MBP turned off). I turned the MBP back on - and the startup screen was checkered grey. Another reboot, and everything came up as expected. However, five minutes into that session, the same issue came up again. Based on my remedial research, it appears to be a graphics card or logic board issue. In either case, pain and sadness, since my AppleCare expired back in February 2011.

However, I am currently using the same computer on battery power, unplugged, and it's been working without issue for the past hour-plus. I was able to back up my files on Time Machine and repair permissions - just in case the worst would come.

The MacBook Pro was plugged into a power strip both times when this major malfunction occurred, but the MagSafe connector's indicator light wasn't on. I don't know if that's an indication that the MagSafe is going, or if that could in any way contribute to an issue like this.

A few additional details on the machine in question:
  • 15" MacBook Pro
  • 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 4 GB RAM (installed myself in 2008)
  • Mac OS X 10.6.8

So, I'm assuming that my MBP could be on the outs with a graphics card or logic board issue. I guess I'm looking for validation, or to see if anyone has suffered the same maladies in the past - and if they have, to see if they had other issues or what their final outcomes were. I'll be taking my MBP to the closest Apple Store at my earliest convenience - probably this weekend - but if anyone has any input or suggestions, I'd be willing to try anything in the meantime. Thanks!

Guess our wishes don't do dishes or brake repairs...
Twitter | Flickr | last.fm | PSN: TheLittleDoctor
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-01-13, 19:56

Sounds like the GPU is starting to go. I think the 2007 was notorious for failing GPUs. There is a chance Apple will repare it even if it is out of warranty.
lightning_bug

2012-01-21, 20:32

Update: The GPU appears to have shuffled off this mortal coil. Checkerboard screen on boot, or distorted Apple/spinner - an appointment has been made with the local Apple Store tomorrow.

I'm just surprised that it held together for a whole week between catastrophic hiccups. Backups have been made, and I'm borrowing my old 12" PowerBook from my parents in the interim. Great form factor, useless at video in 2012.

lightning_bug

2012-01-22, 15:15

Update: Confirmed as a GPU failure, requiring a logic board replacement. However, since this is a known issue with my particular MBP, the repair will be done for free. Apparently this program was set to expire in a few months, so I lucked out with regards to the timing of this catastrophe.

Turnaround time for repair: one to three days. Apple's customer service comes through once again!

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-01-22, 16:29

Good to hear that things worked out.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-01-22, 21:02

Apple customer service at it's best.
Sargasm

Send a message via AIM to Sargasm  
2012-01-23, 04:25

For everyone with a non-unibody MacBook Pro: that program is only good for up to 4 years from your purchase date (which is one year extra past Applecare coverage). Often times they'll cover you anyway, but if you see even a HINT of a graphics issue, take it in to a bar.