User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Apple Retail stores and edu discount

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Retail stores and edu discount
TheWart

2005-08-04, 11:09

The apple stores (specifically the one in Green Hills Mall - Nashville, TN) do give edu discounts right?

I have my student ID...is that usually enough to convince them?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-08-04, 11:22

Yes. I bought a Mac mini with my edu discount five months ago, and all they needed was my student ID.
TheWart

2005-08-04, 11:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Yes. I bought a Mac mini with my edu discount five months ago, and all they needed was my student ID.
Awesome..just what I wanted to hear.

Thanks a bunch!
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-08-04, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWart
The apple stores (specifically the one in Green Hills Mall - Nashville, TN) do give edu discounts right?

I have my student ID...is that usually enough to convince them?
only on hardware though. software is online only
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-08-04, 13:07

you should also have your drivers license to verify that the student ID you are using is actually YOURS.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-08-04, 14:49

are you sure? back in may when i went and bought my whole set up (powerbook, airport extreme, isight, ect) i got 2 jam packs and they gave me the edu discount on them. i got $20 off i think on each of them...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-08-04, 14:52

I think they did ask for my driver's license. Of course, my school's student IDs use a photograph, and they can always match the name on the ID to the name on the card I used to pay for the stuff, but driver's licenses are harder to forge.

I heard you can't get student discounts on software purchased at retail; that you have to order online. But apparently some Apple stores are a bit more lenient about that, based on Yontsey's report above.
iThink therefore iMac

2005-08-04, 15:09

I bought Microsoft Office (student and teacher edition) for my mac from an Apple retail store and I paid the student price.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-08-04, 15:11

well it may have been just for the fact that i was spending like $3500 at the time and they wanted to make me feel good...haha
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-08-04, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by iThink therefore iMac
I bought Microsoft Office (student and teacher edition) for my mac from an Apple retail store and I paid the student price.
that is a specific product. not an education discount. MS will basically sell that to anyone
vasili

2005-08-05, 00:11

Tax free on many states 5, 6 and 7. Only good for people with education discount if you think about it. Amazon tax free always.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-08-05, 00:37

So...I could buy an iBook and an iPod mini at an Apple retail store, pay the education price for each, and be eligable for the Student Union rebate?

Does Apple's online store charge sales tax (for Minnesotans)? Sorry if that's what Vasili was trying to say, but he wasn't very specific as to what was "tax free."
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-05, 00:45

You'll have to check. Go to the online store, add something to your cart, go to the checkout, and it will tell you if it's added tax or not based on your state.

Come waste your time with me
Sargasm

Send a message via AIM to Sargasm  
2005-08-05, 01:09

how does the free ipod with laptop work? My friend is going to buy an ibook soon, but sales rep confused him when he said that the student discount isnt applicable to the ipod, or some such nonsense.
Alexia

Send a message via AIM to Alexia  
2005-08-05, 01:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargasm
how does the free iPod with laptop work? My friend is going to buy an iBook soon, but sales rep confused him when he said that the student discount isnt applicable to the iPod, or some such nonsense.
The rebate is for $179, the same price as a iPod mini 4gb with student discount. You buy both the iBook and iPod(It doesn't matter which iPod) and you get $179 back.
agent302
"I'm learnding!"

Send a message via AIM to agent302  
2005-08-05, 15:43

Just for some reference, I bought a Powerbook and an iPod not long ago, and it only took 3 weeks from the time I mailed in the rebate form to get my $179 check in the mail, which seems relatively fast for a rebate program.
JohnnyTheA

2005-08-05, 18:46

I got the Education version of Office without having to show any id.... But I guess thats not really the same as the education discount.

Johnny