User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Google's Giant Buttons (and other UI newness)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Google's Giant Buttons (and other UI newness)
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2009-09-11, 11:28

I think it's because it's just another bar and they're not use to it. I used to do that... for wahtever reason I can't even explain.

I think google solved the problem with Chrome and the "One bar does it all". I love it (Using on my PC at work)

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Iago

2009-09-11, 11:34

Mozilla used to have one bar for everything. It was the reason I didn't switch to Firefox for so long, it seemed inefficient to have to switch focus to another input. Hopefully this will retrend that way.

I'm Joseph Fritzl, and no windows was my idea.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-11, 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago View Post
My Father types google into the search bar in Safari. Increasingly I believe that computers are not for everyone.
Oh, that's not the worst of it. Go to YouTube, Amazon, or any web site with a search bar near the top of the window...type in "www" and look at all the URLs that people type in.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-09-11, 11:54

Quote:
My Father types google into the search bar in Safari. Increasingly I believe that computers are not for everyone.
It's funny, if you just highlight the search bar and hit "enter" without any text in it, Firefox will bring you to Google.com. Safari just gives you an error.
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2009-09-11, 12:21

I don't have big buttons yet... Using Camino... Then again, I wouldn't have noticed if I did. I don't remember the last time I actually went to google's homepage (I've got a customized google homepage...).

I really have nothing to put here, but I feel it's rather strange to not have one.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-09-11, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
It's funny, if you just highlight the search bar and hit "enter" without any text in it, Firefox will bring you to Google.com. Safari just gives you an error.
My Safari doesn't give an error, it just doesn't do anything.
Iago

2009-09-11, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Oh, that's not the worst of it. Go to YouTube, Amazon, or any web site with a search bar near the top of the window...type in "www" and look at all the URLs that people type in.
Christ alive. Just tried it. I know I'm too quick to suggest people should need to have licenses for most things in life, but chalk up a vote for a mandatory Computer Driving License.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
I wonder why that is. I assume Apple gets $ for sending queries through Google, but not from searches entered on the website, so that might be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
My Safari doesn't give an error, it just doesn't do anything.
An error = the "dunk!" noise OS X makes when you try it.

I'm Joseph Fritzl, and no windows was my idea.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2009-09-11, 13:50

I haven't read the thread, but the giant controls are caused by these attributes in Google's stylesheets:

Code:
.lst { font-size: 17px; } /* search text */ .lsb { -webkit-appearance: button; } /* search buttons */
Why on Earth they added these, I'm not sure. Those are the actual class names, so if anyone were to add a custom stylesheet to their systems, this is what you'd want to override:

Code:
.lst { font-family: sans-serif; /* WTF: they are now using Arial. FUGLY. */ font-size: 8pt; } .lsb { -webkit-appearance: push-button; }

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-09-12, 22:31

Quote:
Does anybody here really go to Google's homepage often enough to care? Surely we all use the Safari search bar.
1. Google is my home page. This is the same for almost everyone I know.
2. The Safari search field is un-customisable and worse, doesn't localise to your local version of Google, so we're all stuck with the US site
3. It only takes a split-second longer and no extra mouseclicks to click on a Google bookmark and search from there.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-12, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveblue View Post
1. Google is my home page. This is the same for almost everyone I know.
This is another thing I never quite understood, partly because of it being redundant with the built-in search field and partly because Google usually isn't my destination and it ends up needlessly taking another second of my time. I have new windows and tabs open to a *blank* page so no time is wasted loading some site I don't want to see and so the URL field has focus and I can start typing immediately (or choose the appropriate bookmark).

But of course I'll admit to being a performance whore in this regard.

Quote:
2. The Safari search field is un-customisable and worse, doesn't localise to your local version of Google, so we're all stuck with the US site
True, it's not customizable, but what do you mean about not localizing? Unless you have a cookie set to override it, Google should choose its language based on your browser's user agent string. Some very quick tests confirm this. I set my system's language preference to "Español" first, restart Safari, and Google searches from Safari show up with Spanish text. I change to "British English", restart Safari, and Google uses what I can only assume is the British flavour of English.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-12, 23:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I change to "British English", restart Safari, and Google uses what I can only assume is the British flavour of English.
I see what you did there.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-09-13, 00:28

Quote:
This is another thing I never quite understood, partly because of it being redundant with the built-in search field and partly because Google usually isn't my destination and it ends up needlessly taking another second of my time. I have new windows and tabs open to a *blank* page so no time is wasted loading some site I don't want to see and so the URL field has focus and I can start typing immediately (or choose the appropriate bookmark).

But of course I'll admit to being a performance whore in this regard.
I guess it gives me a warm reassuring glow that the internet isn't broken . I could put in a site I visit more frequently like Facebook or a news site or something but it wouldn't load as fast and would be more likely to be down. From a performance front, Google shouldn't take much time to load and you don't have to wait for it to actually load if you want to do anything that you can do from a blank page.

Moreover, if I'm opening a new tab without using a bookmark or some other link there's a reasonably good chance that I want to do a Google search. If a Google page opens, with the cursor already directed to the search field, then this is a performance boon. So from a purely performance-whore point-of-view there's no reason against opening Google (unless you're worried about a couple of bytes of bandwidth) and very good reason for it.

And if you live outside the US, well...

Quote:
True, it's not customizable, but what do you mean about not localizing? Unless you have a cookie set to override it, Google should choose its language based on your browser's user agent string. Some very quick tests confirm this. I set my system's language preference to "Español" first, restart Safari, and Google searches from Safari show up with Spanish text. I change to "British English", restart Safari, and Google uses what I can only assume is the British flavour of English.
*sigh* Silly Americans . I'm talking about localised search results. Try searching for something on Google.com and Google.com.au. Very different results depending on what search terms you've used. Now try the same search viewing only 'pages from Australia'. You can't on the US site, obviously. Nor for the Safari search field.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed this bit the first time through:
Quote:
and so the URL field has focus and I can start typing immediately

Last edited by joveblue : 2009-09-13 at 04:09.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-09-13, 02:34

Quote:
Ditto.

Quote:
*sigh* Silly Americans . I'm talking about localised search results. Try searching for something on Google.com and Google.com.au. Very different results depending on what search terms you've used. Now try the same search viewing only 'pages from Australia'. You can't on the US site, obviously. Nor for the Safari search field.
It should be doing that automatically based on your IP address. Or, you could get a Google account (if you don't mind the privacy implications) and have it stored that way. Either way, you don't need to set the home page for this.
Partial
Stallion

2009-09-13, 03:47

Do most people use the Safari search box? I can't get used to it, I don't know. I always pop open a new tab (which automatically opens google) to search.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-09-13, 04:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
It should be doing that automatically based on your IP address. Or, you could get a Google account (if you don't mind the privacy implications) and have it stored that way. Either way, you don't need to set the home page for this.
The Safari search field directs your browser to http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8, where 'Applenova' is the search term. Google interprets this as a US search. If you go to the Google homepage it will redirect you, yes, but not if you search this way. I have a Google account, but that's irrelevant as Google interprets that URL as a US search. Does it not work this way in Germany? The obvious solution is that Safari should insert your ccTDL into that URL (e.g. .au, .de, etc.) for you based on your system settings.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2009-09-13, 04:42

Quote:
The Safari search field directs your browser to http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8, where 'Applenova' is the search term. Google interprets this as a US search. If you go to the Google homepage it will redirect you, yes, but not if you search this way. I have a Google account, but that's irrelevant as Google interprets that URL as a US search. Does it not work this way in Germany? The obvious solution is that Safari should insert your ccTDL into that URL (e.g. .au, .de, etc.) for you based on your system settings.
Define "your ccTDL". Based on what? If I'm in a hotel in Thailand, should it present me with results from my country of origin (Germany), the most likely country based on my preferred language (the US), or based on my current physical location (Thailand)? I'd say the latter, but you seem to be arguing the first?
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-09-13, 05:14

My suggestion is whatever city you have your Time Zone set to in your System Preferences. You could argue for something else, but the point is that at the moment it's US and US only.
chucker

2009-09-13, 05:22

Quote:
My suggestion is whatever city you have your Time Zone set to in your System Preferences.
Not currently possible — Safari doesn't expose your location information yet. It would also lack the interface to ask you permission.

Quote:
You could argue for something else, but the point is that at the moment it's US and US only.
Yeah, definitely agreed that that's a flaw.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-09-13, 05:35

Quote:
Not currently possible — Safari doesn't expose your location information yet. It would also lack the interface to ask you permission.
It doesn't have to expose your location information, it just has to send a slightly different URL to Google.

i.e. If you search for 'Applenova' from the Safari search field with your location (according to whatever criteria) set to 'Australia'. it should fetch

http://www.google.com.au/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Applenova&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

instead of

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Applenova&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Simple, and does not require Safari to expose your location information to anyone, just for Safari to be aware of your location itself. The only problem would be making sure whichever location criteria is chosen, it is accurate (there may be some issues with the city selected under Time Zone if people choose a city from a neighbouring country?).
chucker

2009-09-13, 05:50

Quote:
It doesn't have to expose your location information, it just has to send a slightly different URL to Google.

i.e. If you search for 'Applenova' from the Safari search field with your location (according to whatever criteria) set to 'Australia'. it should fetch

http://www.google.com.au/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Applenova&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

instead of

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
…thus exposing your country.

Quote:
Simple, and does not require Safari to expose your location information to anyone, just for Safari to be aware of your location itself. The only problem would be making sure whichever location criteria is chosen, it is accurate (there may be some issues with the city selected under Time Zone if people choose a city from a neighbouring country?).
Well, in 10.6, people will typically set it to automatic, in which case it's pretty close to your real location (though this requires Wi-Fi).
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-09-13, 06:02

Quote:
…thus exposing your country.
Technically yes, although not in the same way that all your other information is exposed to any website you visit (browser, screen resolution, etc.). But, anyone concerned about this should not be using Google full stop. Or the rest of the internet for that matter. This tells Google very little if anything that they don't already know, from your IP address amongst other things.
chucker

2009-09-13, 06:18

Quote:
Technically yes, although not in the same way that all your other information is exposed to any website you visit (browser, screen resolution, etc.). But, anyone concerned about this should not be using Google full stop. Or the rest of the internet for that matter. This tells Google very little if anything that they don't already know, from your IP address amongst other things.
I agree. I think this will all be moot soon enough when Safari adds geolocation support (Firefox and Mobile Safari already have it, after all).
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-09-13, 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
Do most people use the Safari search box? I can't get used to it, I don't know. I always pop open a new tab (which automatically opens google) to search.
FWIW, if you type into the built-in search field and press command-enter, it will open the search in a new tab, just like if you press command-enter on the location field.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2009-09-13, 20:41

Quote:
FWIW, if you type into the built-in search field and press command-enter, it will open the search in a new tab, just like if you press command-enter on the location field.
Things like this should really be made more obvious somehow.
noleli2

2009-09-13, 21:33

Quote:
Things like this should really be made more obvious somehow.
Conventions. They're a beautiful thing.

Kinda like how I just assumed that cmd-1/2/3 would toggle views in iCal. I didn't have to check the menus; I tried them, and they worked. That's a huge sign of a well-done Mac app — and why Firefox sucks.

As for this thread's topic: the large buttons are hideous. 'nuf said.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2009-09-13, 21:59

Ok they are kinda gross, but for us old uns it aint so bad for the peepers.
Partial
Stallion

2009-10-06, 19:27

Anybody else not getting buttons today, and instead getting a fade in effect of surrounding text?

It's very weird..
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-10-06, 19:41

Google recently changed stylesheets to draw the buttons with a vertical gradient, at least in WebKit browsers. Maybe something's broken on your browser?

Partial
Stallion

2009-10-06, 20:10

Quote:
Google recently changed stylesheets to draw the buttons with a vertical gradient, at least in WebKit browsers. Maybe something's broken on your browser?

Oh I know. I've grown to like it. Today, they're doing a fade in. I'll try and get a screen shot.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-06, 20:16

No fade in here.

Are you on Time Warner or ATT Partial?