Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Minecraft Server
Page 9 of 49 First Previous 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13  Next Last Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-12-26, 00:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Hmm. That might be it. I think my three-year-old MacBook Pro is probably on the trailing edge of useful compatibility with this game. Can't imagine a six-year-old PPC Mac trying it.

It was probably "falling" because the system wasn't fast enough to load in the map chunk. Not a good sign of things to come.
Argh.
I won't have a lot of time to play from my faster/newer machine at work... though IT is a CoreDuo iMac (not a Core2Duo) and is demonstrably older than your 3 year old machine. It looks like I won't be able to come play until sometime next year. At least I have my skin ready for action! Maybe you'll have made the place predictable and safe for newcomers by the time I can join in. Until that time I'll stay tuned in here for the unfolding action of the world of AppleNova.

If Scates joins in you must insist that he carve a Mount Rushmore of emoticons

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-26, 01:39

Quote:
I have been authorized to bribe you with offer an initial stipend of resources to help migrate you to the AN server.
Btw, torifile, I found your house/cave this evening and carried through on my end of the bargain. Just so you know.

Iago

2010-12-26, 10:39

Are you guys doing reserved slots or is it first come first serve? Will probably jump on at some point over the holidays if that's cool.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2010-12-26, 10:43

No reserved slots to my knowledge. Just be mindful of planned project areas, please!

drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-12-26, 12:15

Is there a Department of Planning that people can consult before building? Is there some sort of commerce to keep the society active once everything has been built out?

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2010-12-26, 12:24

The world is virtually infinite.... it is unlikely it will be built out, except for the fact that there is one spawning point.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-12-26, 12:46

The one spawning point is really annoying actually. If you're not built up enough to build a quick way to get to your home base.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-12-26, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
The world is virtually infinite....
Specifically, the world is procedurally generated. It is created as it is explored, and if we ever "filled up" all the room we have now, all we would have to do is keep exploring away from the spawn point.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-26, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago View Post
Are you guys doing reserved slots or is it first come first serve? Will probably jump on at some point over the holidays if that's cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyScot View Post
No reserved slots to my knowledge. Just be mindful of planned project areas, please!
Yup. Just find a wide plot of land that looks unused, and have at it. If you have a particular area in mind, try marking the area by laying down a perimeter of some cheap material, be it wood, dirt, or cobble, and set up a sign or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
The one spawning point is really annoying actually. If you're not built up enough to build a quick way to get to your home base.
Yeah, it kinda sucks that you can't set your own spawn point, but at least the general spawn area is near the Safe House and an entrance to the skyway. So, you can take cover quickly or take the safe road to somewhere that's hopefully near to your project.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-26, 14:59

Also, the regulars on the server know this by now, but for the newcomers, be aware that there's a bug in the current version of Beta in which the server and client don't always update the large map chunks correctly. The result is a massive "missing chunk" that shows as a big rectangular hole from the top of the map all the way to the bottom.

To fix these errors, simply log out and log in. That'll force the server and client to sync up the terrain.

That said, some missing chunk errors can result in handy information or just look cool. They reveal caves, underground lakes, and lava pools normally, but if they intersect with manmade structures, you get a neat view of the guts.

For example, I experienced a series of missing chunk errors a few minutes ago and got cutaway views of the Apple Store, Castle Bryson, and the White House (and its secret underground bunker).

Apple Store:

Castle Bryson:

White House:

Spoiler (click to toggle):
The underground bunker is why I haven't been seen aboveground much lately. Its construction has taken massively more time than I originally anticipated.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.

billybobsky
BANNED

2010-12-26, 15:25

The apple store doesn't look nearly as good with the texture map you are using, Brad...

¡Damned!

2010-12-26, 15:33

Yeah, it's also good to know that the missing chunks are user-specific. It's especially egregious when traveling long distances since they tend to show up more often. Since the Beta dropped there hasn't been one time that I could take the skywalk from my place to Bridgeport without a chunk of the skywalk disappearing and thus having to log out/in.

I've been doing some fun little renovations to Casa 709. I put in a pool yesterday with underwater lighting (bbsky took a dip too, which delighted my gf watching over my shoulder ), put in some more glass on the skywalk corner so I could see the tree farm below, put a fire break in the skywalk so if RowdyScot's lava bridge burns the whole thing down I'll be safe (), finished my "hub" of stairways and finally figured out how to keep my tree farm from growing out of control - a glass tree-trunk inhibitor just out of reach of my axe (7 blocks up).

I started traveling North to look for snow, but I think I may put that project on hold while I figure out the massive cave system I've got going on underneath the mountain.

So, so addicting. I've been logging out ~5am every night now for the last days, and I'm starting to feel it....but goddamn if I don't wan't to jump back in as soon as I wake up.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2010-12-26 at 15:45.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2010-12-26, 23:10

My lava bridge gets a big boost once I log in tonight. Got some awesome help in finding a lava source.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-12-27, 01:47

How do I make a pool? I'm looking at one that's 5 blocks deep. I've started to put water in it but I'm dealing with a pretty mean current right now.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-12-27, 01:50

Can you make anything out of creepers?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-27, 02:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Can you make anything out of creepers?

Yep! If you can kill them without making them explode, creepers drop "sulfur" (looks like gunpowder) that you can craft with sand to make... TNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
How do I make a pool? I'm looking at one that's 5 blocks deep. I've started to put water in it but I'm dealing with a pretty mean current right now.
To make an "infinite spring" of still water, make a shallow 2x2 hole in the ground, and drop water into two opposite corners. Play with that concept until you figure out some of the water flowing dynamics; they're a bit unintuitive. For example, you can't "fill" a reservoir with water that's just flowing in. You have to drop water source blocks at the *top* of where you want to be filled. So, you can take your 2x2 shallow hole and dig down through it to make the pool deeper.

billybobsky
BANNED

2010-12-27, 02:20

Quote:
Yep! If you can kill them without making them explode, creepers drop "sulfur" (looks like gunpowder) that you can craft with sand to make... TNT!
Which makes no chemical sense at all. If they dropped nitrates, it could be vaguely more accurate.

SpecMode
Wait what

2010-12-27, 02:21

Another way to make an 'infinite spring' is to dig a 1x3 trench, then put water in both ends. Fill buckets from the center block, and it'll always refill itself.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-27, 02:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecMode View Post
Another way to make an 'infinite spring' is to dig a 1x3 trench, then put water in both ends. Fill buckets from the center block, and it'll always refill itself.
Yup. This was the first water technique I learned, and the 1x3 method is good for making rows of water for crop irrigation. Both the 1x3 and 2x2 show that for a flowing water block to "become" a still water block, water has to flow into it from two different directions.

billybobsky
BANNED

2010-12-27, 02:29

Quote:
start with a shallow pool 1 deep of the size you want and dig down to the depth you desire.

to make a large surface area pool -- set up an infinite spring, 2*2, with buckets of water laid in opposing corners. Next dig your pool, but only every other block in a checkerboard pattern. Fill these holes with buckets of water. Remove remaining blocks.

To start with a pool with strong current. Remember two things: the first flowing square in a current is actually a still water square, and a square of water will become still if it is adjacent to two still waters (in the cardinal directions). Each flowing situation must be dealt with individually. Sometimes it's just a matter of refilling a square or two on the edge and that works fine, but the best course is going to be defined by the borders of the pool.

It is easier to start with a pool 1 deep and dig than fill several layers of water.

¡Damned!

2010-12-27, 03:08

The way I built my pool was to excavate the whole thing and then fill in the top-most layer with dirt minus 1 square. I filled that square with water and it filled in the lower layers. Then, I just removed each piece of dirt and replaced it with a bucket of water. billybobsky's checkerboard idea may be quicker than replacing each piece though.

So it goes.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2010-12-27, 04:51

Well, the Applenova sign is partially compete, over the water from Bridgeport - near Mushroom Mountain Crater, but it's much larger than I imagined...which means that I have to do some pretty major earthworks to make it work. If some kind passing admin happened to fill the chest over there with TNT, it might make things a mite easier....

My, we have explored much further than I though we had.

SpecMode
Wait what

2010-12-27, 05:28

I was tunneling out from the mineshaft under my cabin on Mob Hill, and managed to accidentally break into the vertical shaft behind RowdyScot's ranch house, about one glass floor above the bottom. I had no idea I had managed to go that far (or even what direction I was going!). I put up some signs and marked it as an underground passage to Mob Hill.

ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2010-12-27, 07:18

Quote:
Yep! If you can kill them without making them explode, creepers drop "sulfur" (looks like gunpowder) that you can craft with wool (from sheep) sand to make... TNT!

Err, um, Brad? Are you sure that's not sand you need instead of wool? I've always made TNT with 4 parts sand and 5 parts sulfur, arranged checker board style.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2010-12-27, 09:33

It's sand.

So, looking at the large map...I think I may need to bridge the two deserts with sand. This could become ridiculous. :P Gotta decide on the scale needed here, then just go for some outlines.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-12-27, 09:52

So if I've already dug out my pool (actually constructed it with glass blocks), could I just fill the top layer with dirt and fill the pool?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-27, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
Err, um, Brad? Are you sure that's not sand you need instead of wool? I've always made TNT with 4 parts sand and 5 parts sulfur, arranged checker board style.
Whoops! You're right. Post edited.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2010-12-27, 13:03

Could you guys get together for a party somewhere and snap screenshots of your virtual selves? Might have to do it in batches due to your access times, but that would be interesting.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-12-27, 13:18

Gah! Too bad we didn't think to do that last night. 5 or 6 of us were huddled together in a cave under 709's complex, torturing a glass-walled-in spider spawner.

The next time a bunch of us are online (probably later this evening), I'll try getting everyone together for a snapshot.

¡Damned!

2010-12-27, 13:22

Quote:
So if I've already dug out my pool (actually constructed it with glass blocks), could I just fill the top layer with dirt and fill the pool?
Yep. That worked for me.