Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

$220 to spend and nothing to buy.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
$220 to spend and nothing to buy.
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-05-27, 22:42

Well, I have $220 to spend tomarrow. Nothing to buy. I have a nano so don't need one of those. What could I buy? Tell me what you guys (and Windswept) think. I don't need an external hard drive so that's a no. I have 250watt speakers hooked up to an 80watt reciever, And a 2.8ghz pc with integrated crappy graphics. Doesn't have to be stereo/pc related just pointing it out.

Give me some ideas here people!


Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-27, 22:43

If you can't think of anything you need, why not save the money and spend it later? Why do you need to spend it "tomarrow"?
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-05-27, 22:45

Don't have a job during this summer, so if I save the money I'll spend it on worthless little things (like food).

Brad, you must have some idea, We both have 12" Powerbooks.


PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-05-27, 22:48

Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-05-27, 22:48

Get an iSkin duo case for the nano, save some *and* donate some to a charity of your choice. Win-Win for all concerned!
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-05-27, 22:51

I don't really like cases. They just add to thickness, and take away from the ipods coolness.

I also have a crappy CRT monitor, but mostly use my 'Book on my lap.


hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2006-05-27, 22:54

Well video games are always fun. Do you have SimCity 4? That can keep you entertained for months.

Of course as others have pointed out, you might want to save some money. College gets very expensive, especially if you want to go on spring break and good stuff like that. Why not buy a game and put the rest in your savings account.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-05-27, 22:55

paypal to me, please.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-05-27, 22:59

But don't you have to be 18 to have a paypal account?

Anyways, are there any games that are really cool and will run pretty good on a 1.5ghz G4, 768mb ram, and 64mb vram?


Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-27, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium
Seconded.

Maybe you should spend part of it by getting a few books about managing money (and the value of it).
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-05-27, 23:08

Hey, we don't develop our decision-making part of the brain until we're 18 (or something like that, I decided not to pay attention)
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2006-05-27, 23:19

So you've got $220 to your name, no job, and you're looking to spend it?

Can you mail me some seeds from your money-growing tree? I'll pay the shipping.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-05-27, 23:35

I don't pay taxes.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2006-05-27, 23:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
I don't pay taxes.
Dude, hook me up with that.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-05-28, 00:32

Quote:
I don't pay taxes.
Yes, but your parents do.

I agree with Brad, get a good book and getthe jump on money management before you get older and have the wrong habbits set.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-05-28, 00:53

You guys aren't any fun.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-28, 01:00

I'm reminded of an adage:

"Something given has no value."
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-05-28, 01:12

Quote:
You guys aren't any fun.
How about a cool cell phone. Some games for your computer or game console? At least they'll last longer than fast food.

Though you really should learn to save and manage money now. Too many adults haven't a clue how to because at your age they just blew it. Read something like "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki. Not the perfect book, but some great thought process in it. It really is worth the money for you to get a early start and is very easy to understand.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-05-28, 01:28

Yeah, save your money. I could buy a Macbook Pro, but you don't see me doing it, why? Because well, I have to pay for school for one thing, and because well saving money is good... its like buying something, but better. Money in the bank makes interest, interest = more money.
defaultmike

2006-05-28, 04:34

how about a bluetooth mouse or keyboard? Or perhaps some nice speaker for whenever you're watching DVDs on your laptop (I'm guessing you hook it up to a larger screen for that). Perhaps some more RAM for your 12" powerbook. Or maybe look at how much it'd cost to get it upgraded. a digital camera or something. I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas at ya. enjoy your "happy shopping"!

www.portfoliowork.blogspot.com
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz (coming mid-December) | iBook G4 12" 1.2GHz | iPod 5.5 80Gb | iPod 3G 20Gb
Koodari
Veteran Member

2006-05-28, 05:08

I'd just hang on to it till I had enough for a 20" Dell LCD to replace the CRT with, but if you're really bent on spending now, put $70 in a Happy Hacking Lite2 keyboard. Being located in Europe, I paid roughly double for mine and it was still the single best investment I've made in computer gear in 15 years. As far as I'm concerned, there's no better keyboard except maybe the $300 Kinesis ones which I haven't had the chance to try out.

Of course, you could always buy a big pile of cool books from Amazon.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2006-05-28, 05:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM
Money in the bank makes interest, interest = more money.
Money in the bank doesn't make much interest at all. Invest instead.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-05-28, 05:51

Quote:
(...)

Give me some ideas here people!
Drugs!

spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-05-28, 06:50

Ignore the old men here You're only young once and I've never seen a coffin with pockets. $220 doesn't really give you much leeway to make a mistake, so fritter it on whatever you want.
Is it 1981?

2006-05-28, 08:35

What?? I wish I had that kind of money just floating around and spend - well I do, I just can't justify it (I can buy that book I wanted, but then I don't eat for the rest of the week etc).

How about some DVD boxsets? I'd love to get the Six Feet Under 2001-2005 boxset, but I can't because a) I can't afford the £100+ price, and b) Since I've already got s1 + 2 on DVD, a purchase of the complete set would be of utmost stupidity. How about Blackadder or... whatever you're into?

Helvetica is my bitch.
System: 27" iMac i7, 2TB, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X Snow Leopard
murbot
Hoonigan

2006-05-28, 08:45

Hey man, save it, get a job, and keep adding to the pot. You'll actually be able to by something decent if you do it long enough. You only have cheap, relatively useless shit on the radar right now because you have such a little amount of money to waste... let it grow.

We're brainwashed into wanting to buy everything we see nowadays. Trust me, you'll feel better about it soon enough if you resist the temptation.

If you really want to spend it, buy a Pocket Bike. You can grab one for a few hundred bucks. They're illegal to ride on your street, but they're so small most cops can't see you.
pilot1129

Send a message via AIM to pilot1129  
2006-05-28, 09:11

Why dont you sell your money on ebay?

Think about it, its so ridiculous it may actually work. Market it as the ONLY bill with that particular serial number on it. There is NO other one like it on the planet!

Its a collectors item! It was hand picked from a wallet and contains within it several years of history (depending on print date)

Of course shipping will be free and after they paypal you the auction amount, just paypal them back $220. Tell them the bank will give them the exact same bill from the auction when they withdraw it.

You know there is someone out there who will bite for this
hflomberg

2006-05-28, 11:24

Hey - enjoy! go to your favorite toy store - and buy something! - software? gadgets? games? books? clothes?

There is plenty of time to get serious in 30 or 40 years!
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2006-05-28, 11:25

Save it for a Wii.
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-05-28, 12:48

get a life