Social networking sites

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Social networking sites
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2007-07-30, 12:23

I have lately become intrigued by social networking sites like digg and facebook. I've been a digg user for a while, but I've quit going there so frequently since it's just been going downhill lately. I've been using reddit on and off, too, but I don't like their submission system because I'd rather see a synopsis before clicking on a link.

Recently a friend invited me to facebook, so I joined. I also signed up with delicious for the first time and I've been using them both a lot in the past week. I got an invite to pownce so I signed up for that, too. I've got a problem, I guess Anyone use any of these social networking sites? Anyone want to add me as a friend (BTW, I've got 6 invites to pownce left.)
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2007-07-30, 12:35

At least you didn't mention Myspace.

I use Facebook. I just heard about pownce this weekend, but don't have an invite for it yet. I'll take one if you have it, just to see what it's about.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-07-30, 12:42

I've been on Facebook for years and, while it's still the best MySpace alternative out there, the new "applications" have turned it into a big mess.

I've got accounts on all the big sites, like Flickr, YouTube, Digg, etc but can't say that I actually use any of their account features.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-07-30, 12:54

I've had facebook since freshman year of college. I've always liked it a lot better than myspace. never signed up for that one.

But, as jdcfsu points out, the applications that were introduced recently have started to make some profiles look straight out of myspace.

I'll probably keep my account on facebook until I graduate and then delete it. I say the same things about AIM too though. I always say once I graduate, I won't use AIM anymore, but I know I will
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-07-30, 13:04

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2204045449
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-30, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Description/quote/screenshot plzkthnxbye!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-07-30, 13:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Description/quote/screenshot plzkthnxbye!
How old-school of you. Don't you know the cool kids don't communicate any more; they just squirt (heh. hehe. heh.) URLs to each other?

The URL points to abb's "AppleNova Forums Members" group on facebook, and since several people in this thread indicated that they have facebook accounts (yet aren't in the group), I was trying to encourage them to join.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-07-30, 13:24

I would join, but I've made it a point not to join any groups on Facebook. I used to have some in there when I first got onto Facebook, but I've since taken them all out. I will however, ask all members of this group to be my "friend."
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-07-30, 13:26

So, if I am not member of any social networking, does that, like, makes me Internet hermit?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-30, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
The URL points to abb's "AppleNova Forums Members" group on facebook, and since several people in this thread indicated that they have facebook accounts (yet aren't in the group), I was trying to encourage them to join.
Super. Just keep in mind that URLs like that are completely meaningless for everyone who isn't currently logged into Facebook (or whatever private service du jour).
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-07-30, 13:32

I joined facebook a while ago and thought it was the cats ass. Especially given that my humble little city has more facebook members than any other so I could find just about everyone I've ever known. But I rarely even check anymore. It got boring and I got sick of people I didn't like in high school contacting me. And the applications they added made everything ugly.

In the end, I prefer email to keep in touch with friends.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-07-30, 13:34

PM me if you want to add me as a friend on Myspace or Facebook. I have 3 myspace accounts; a personal one, a solo music one, and my band site.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
chucker

2007-07-30, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Super. Just keep in mind that URLs like that are completely meaningless for everyone who isn't currently logged into Facebook (or whatever private service du jour).
Yeah yeah.

(I knew I'd get flak for posting a URL without any context, and I do deserve it. )
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2007-07-30, 13:37

I joined MySpace at the repeated behest of a local friend. I was a pretty regular user for a while, not so much now. I used mainly to connect/keep in touch with peoples local.

I am also on Facebook, joining that to try to connect with old college friends. None of them are on Facebook, as it turns out, but a few people have randomly said hi, sort of a pen pal thing with other Cornellians.

Feel free to say hi to me on that site. I will connect with a few folks there later...
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-07-30, 13:42

Ooooooh, I want to be your friend! Can I be your friend?

I have accounts on xing (formerly known as openBC) and on academici (both are European sites and not that well known over here), as well as Flickr, del.icio.us, etc. I hardly use the social networking features on the latter sites, other than for bookmarking people. A lot of these sites just become pointless blogs for many people (twitter's "microblogging" is an extreme example), without much value other than bragging about the number of contacts you have.

Since MySpace vs. Facebook was mentioned, there's a very interesting article comparing the class differences between the two. Basically, MySpace is for the "lower classes" and younger kids, while Facebook attracts better educated, older, and wealthier people.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2007-07-30, 13:53

Since ghoti mentioned twitter, can someone please explain what the point of it is? I just don't get it.

Oh, I do use del.icio.us but just to bookmark sites from work so I can get them into Safari when I'm home.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2007-07-30, 13:54

I really enjoyed Facebook, which I joined last August when I entered college. It had a simple, clean interface and was a great way to keep in touch with HS friends, since I went to school out of state. I'm starting to dislike it a bit more with the new applications, though. I added a few for fun, but find that they ruin the old layout which I liked and clutter it up, making it more MySpace-y. As for MySpace, I've always hated that site with a passion, so I avoid it like the plague. I'll never get one.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-07-30, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
I'll probably keep my account on facebook until I graduate and then delete it. I say the same things about AIM too though. I always say once I graduate, I won't use AIM anymore, but I know I will
I thought roughly the same thing but found that Facebook is actually the best way to stay in touch with people post-grad. AIM, on the other hand, is rarely used anymore.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-07-30, 15:01

I hate to sound uncool, but I've never been a member of any social networking or dating sites other than LinkedIn.com for work and a basic name/year listing on Classmates.com and Reunion.com.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-07-30, 17:47

I was pretty 'into' Social networking sites for about a year. I have since cancelled all my accounts and generally have no particular hurry to get into it again. That being said, I don't think they're all that bad, and I don't think I'm just trying to be too cool for school. It became kind of addicting I guess, and I wanted to get rid of it, largely just to see if I could, and not too surprisingly, I didn't think twice about it, and haven't looked back. That all happened about 8 or 9 months ago. Before I left myspace and stuff, I posted a blog telling my friends(all 100 of them) my real email address. Surprisingly, even amongst some of the people that would constantly comment on my shit or otherwise message me and 'keep in touch'. Once I left myspace I all but stopped talking to at least a dozen people. Only a few people actually kept up with my 'real' email address. Most of my friends were real life friends though, so I still see or know most of them, but still, a good amount of people just disappeared as a result of me not being connected anymore.

Funny how that works.

Anyway, the new thing in social networking, from what I hear, is this site http://www.ning.com/ Which lets you create your own social networking sites from a collection of templates and stuff. I have never used it, I don't know anyone that has used it, I read about it somewhere, and thought it was absurd, I don't think it is actually the new thing in social networking, but it is still pretty radical.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-07-30, 19:53

ghoti, keep in mind that facebook started out exclusively for college students. While what they say might be true, there's a very good reason for that beyond features.
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-07-30, 20:10

I'm on Facebook for my main one, since as a high school student I can't do without one (apparently). I'm also on Digg and Flickr, but not active in the friends and contacts area of either of them.

I like a few Facebook apps, but they are ones that do something really simple, like put a photo on you account or a dead-simple audio player to play linked songs. I hate those ones that do all sorts of crap like keep track of who has looked at your profile.

I have, however, reserved a special place in Hell for those "Super Poke" style apps where you can "go much further than a normal poke". Those are the lamest apps out there IMO.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2007-07-30, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosus View Post
ghoti, keep in mind that facebook started out exclusively for college students. While what they say might be true, there's a very good reason for that beyond features.
There are some who think it a bad move on Facebook's part to have taken it beyond the college scene...
¡Damned!

2007-07-30, 22:21

WTF does it mean to 'poke' someone in Facebook land?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-07-30, 22:37

I remember thinking the same thing when I started using Facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facebook.com FAQ
Pokes
A poke is a way to interact with your friends on Facebook. When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose. People interpret the poke in many different ways, and we encourage you to come up with your own meanings.

What happens when I poke someone?
When you poke someone, a poke icon will appear on his or her Home page with the option to "Hide Poke" or "Poke Back."

Why won't it let me poke anymore?
You have been temporarily blocked from poking because you exceeded a Facebook limit that is based on the speed and quantity of use. These blocks prevent spammers from abusing the message and poke features.Your privileges will be restored within a few hours.

I hid a poke. Is there any way to get it back?
Once a poke is hidden, it's gone forever. The memories, however, will last a lifetime. Oh, and hiding a poke allows the other person to poke you again, which is always a good thing.
BenP

2007-07-30, 22:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
WTF does it mean to 'poke' someone in Facebook land?
It was purposely ambiguous to begin with. Now with the app WLP mentioned you can slap, punch, kick, lick, kiss, grope...

Edit: Dammit.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2007-07-30, 23:47

Well I recently started using Facebook again (registered over a year ago but never really used it) and I like it. The applications are kind of weird and annoying, though. I've gotten so many application requests from one of my friends, who seems to be COMPLETELY into it. I've received gifts, been bitten by both vampires and zombies, gotten drinks, and so on. They all seem to have the exact same effect, they just display different pictures.

I'm not sure I want to make a Myspace account. I was unable to while I was in China thanks to some awful web design (the signup page detected that I was in China, and gave me a form in Chinese, and the button to click to switch to the English version just redirected me back to the Chinese page again). Now that I'm back in the US, I don't know. Myspace seems pretty stupid, but it might be a good way to get in touch with people.

Oh yeah - is there any way of making your profile public? It would be nice if I could show my profile to people without them having to have a facebook account.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-07-30, 23:51

www.myspace.com/yontsey <--- personal
www.myspace.com/loveatmyfingertips <--- solo music site
www.myspace.com/fangbonerrocks <--- band music site
Dave
Ninja Editor

2007-07-31, 01:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
www.myspace.com/yontsey <--- personal
www.myspace.com/loveatmyfingertips <--- solo music site
www.myspace.com/fangbonerrocks <--- band music site
Cool guitar
joveblue
Veteran Member

2007-07-31, 07:07

I'm a total Myspace whore.

I don't have a Facebook account because I don't think there's any point if everyone in my city is on Myspace and only a few people are on Facebook.

One of my friends is like "but you can poke people on Facebook" and I said "I want to join even less now...".

But seriously it's a good way to keep in touch with people you don't see all the time... You can just say hi, find out what people are doing, invite people to come out, share photos... I've even made friends from Myspace... like adding people from uni that I haven't talked to at uni... or someone from work who added me... In general I never add someone I don't at least recognise though... I'm never going to talk to them so it seems pretty pointless...