Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Reset Discussion PRAM, Ensign Nova!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Reset Discussion PRAM, Ensign Nova!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-01-09, 10:04

I'll be as succinct as I can (ya right!): I don't want this place to turn into AppleInsider.

After not participating in any political discourse for a long time, a few days ago I made some strong statements about two of the political candidates. One of those statements was not received well by another member. After repeated (failed) attempts to clarify and get actual opinions from the other person, the discourse went nowhere.

That ended before it got ugly, thanks to Brad, and the same thread continues today. +1 for AN, continuing the tradition of not being like AI.

A day passes without incident. Then I receive a negative comment from this same person out of the blue, pertaining to a completely unrelated thread, one which they did not participate in. The comment was to the effect of "since your thread got locked, the person who locked it shares my opinion of you". This morning this same person, in a newer thread, posts a comment about me even though I am not participating in said thread. WHY? None of this is necessary. Let's keep this place the way we like it, all right?

To the person in question, until a couple days ago I had absolutely no beef with you whatsoever at AN. If you really despise me that much because of my political comments, A-OK, but don't rep-bomb me and start dragging stuff up in threads completely unrelated to the comments you originally took issue with. As I said when Brad calmed the other thread down... PM me, swear at me up and down, tell everyone how much you can't stand me in your signature. I can take it and can dish it out if I have to. I'd rather not, but whatever you decide.

It's a new year and I'd rather not start it off this way (or see others start it off this way with their own disputes). Since I have a hard time keeping my emotions in check with political threads and apparently do not communicate clearly enough my POV, or my interest in hearing other people's POV, I will steer clear of politics. Sad it has to be that way, but I can be honest with myself about my part in the problem and avoiding it the rest of this year. Next year we'll all be able to bash a new president; it'll be great! And by great I mean less than great. I hope the next president, no matter the party, kicks so much ass everyone can't help but heap praise on them.

In general let's all keep ourselves in check as the primaries continue and we go down to the wire. I have to say again what a good job Brad and Carol do about starting things civil and keeping them civil. You're both a big credit to the forum. And Alcimedes, you're an excellent watch dog, putting the smack down on any threads that head the wrong direction. Thanks to all three of you for keeping the Outsider in good shape.

In general for everyone, the more pissed off something makes you, the more you should probably avoid posting about it, though personally I wish we were all adult enough to let stuff roll off our shoulders and not turn it into a personal thing. For me, if someone indicates they can't stand the candidate I like, I generally couldn't care less on a personal level. I may strongly disagree but don't correlate disliking someone's opinion with disliking them or vice-versa, unless it happens all the time in all sorts of threads. Hope it doesn't come to that for any of us in 2008.

Cheers,
Moogs

...into the light of a dark black night.
zippy
Veteran Member

2008-01-09, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
In general for everyone, the more pissed off something makes you, the more you should probably avoid posting about it, though personally I wish we were all adult enough to let stuff roll off our shoulders and not turn it into a personal thing. For me, if someone indicates they can't stand the candidate I like, I generally couldn't care less on a personal level. I may strongly disagree but don't correlate disliking someone's opinion with disliking them or vice-versa, unless it happens all the time in all sorts of threads. Hope it doesn't come to that for any of us in 2008.

Cheers,
Moogs
Yeah but, the problem with that is that we're not all adults here to begin with. /points at some of the kids/

(Just kidding. I'm actually impressed from time to time with the maturity of many of the sub-full-grown-up crowd here.)

Sorry to hear you've had extending problems from that other thread. It is unfortunate that politics becomes such an emotional thing - not just here, but all the way up the food chain (or down) to our elected officials. The politicians who can reign in that emotion, and have civil discourse with others no matter how far apart their views are always up there in my respectability meter.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-01-09, 10:22

Damn kids! It's all their fault.

But seriously, I don't expect that people will agree even half of the time about topics like politics but I just get the sense things (and not just in the threads I mention) are heading in a wrong direction at times. We won't need another revolucion for at lest 5 years.

...into the light of a dark black night.