Driving without AC

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Driving without AC
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-07-29, 21:17

7? You named your dog 7?

Have you posted this before? Jesus christ. That name is on my short 3 list for the new dog we're getting in September.

I'm not sure if you planted that in my subconscious with an earlier post or if I'm just as cool as you are and picked the same rad name.

Hmm. Probably the subconscious thing.

(anyway, fuck.)
¡Damned!

2008-07-29, 21:33

Do it! It's a great name.

I don't remember offhand ever mentioning his name here...maybe at the other place once or twice (though I don't remember doing that either). He was my first dog (actually, the only dog) that I actually picked out myself and got to name, and I didn't even really "name" him in as much that he kind of willed his name through the grid of the dog-pound cage, and it happened to be 7. There may or may not have been LSD involved.

If I didn't adopt my current dog (Britta) I would have named her 9. She's a total 9. Though, come to think about it, she's full-blooded German, so maybe that wouldn't have been such a great name. Imagine going through life hearing "NO!" all the time, and then getting a treat. Holy mixed signals.

So it goes.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-07-30, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
Crackpot idea: wet the front of your t-shirt (and especially the front of your girlfriend's t-shirt if she's going with you), use high fan speed and bring a cooler full of ice and drinks. Swelter! My AC crapped out on me this spring and it was like $1200 to replace it so I was like screw that. I'll replace it next spring when funds aren't as tight.
During college, my ex and I used to drive long trips to the Mexican coast to go scuba diving during spring break. In a vehicle with no AC.

When it was *really* hot, we'd stop at gas stations along the way and hose ourselves down with their water hose. Sopping wet hair and clothes were nice and cool for a while with the windows open, but while driving through the hottest desert areas, we'd be completely dry in 30 minutes and have to stop again.

I remember coming back to the States from one of those trips, and I was so dehydrated that at the Denny's on the US side of the border, I drank 24 big glasses of ice water. Yikes!

Oh, and Moogs, I'm having my house AC replaced today, and it's gonna cost me... try to guess before peeking...

Spoiler (click to toggle):
$7,000

Waaaaah!!!
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2008-07-30, 22:17

Whoah! I guessed exactly right. Guess that's why we haven't replaced our loud, inefficient, and 10+ year-old AC unit. Probably won't get around doing it next year, though.

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2008-07-30, 22:21

Okay I take the trip tomorrow. Had to postpone because a have a job interview that popped up and they weren't willing/able to reschedule.

Good news is I got the ice packs, got a cool, a few wash clothes (sorry moogs wife isn't coming with me, though I like your idea)and duck tape. Going to make my seudo cooling vest tonight (will post a picture when I can track down a digital camera).

Best news though is I got the Audio book for...DUNE. woot.

And All That Could Have Been
artesc

2008-07-30, 22:33

ahhhh...Dune. Classic
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2008-07-30, 23:02

Our old Honda Civic had it's AC conk out in it's last few years. It wasn't worth fixing and driving with the windows down was nice. The year before we retired that car the engine started over heating all the time and the only way to control it was to crank the heat to full blast. During it's last summer we we're heading up north for the weekend, we were on Bayview heading up to the 401 and we got stuck in traffic for about 40 minutes - only moving about two or three metres a minute. The engine started overheating as it was prone to do in 90 degree heat. So, stuck in traffic, with no AC and the heat cranked full blast...for almost an hour. We almost fucking lost our minds.

In normal circumstances we drive with no AC and the windows down. We only use AC when stuck in traffic and the dogs start getting hot. AC smells weird and is wholly unnatural.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-07-31, 02:22

Oh gosh, that is what my Accord did last Spring, it was brutal to have the heat on when it was in the 80s, I cannot imagine the 90s.

I use AC rather than windows down because AC is actually more fuel efficient, and I have a low sweat tolerance.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2008-07-31, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
During college, my ex and I used to drive long trips to the Mexican coast to go scuba diving during spring break. In a vehicle with no AC.

When it was *really* hot, we'd stop at gas stations along the way and hose ourselves down with their water hose. Sopping wet hair and clothes were nice and cool for a while with the windows open, but while driving through the hottest desert areas, we'd be completely dry in 30 minutes and have to stop again.

I remember coming back to the States from one of those trips, and I was so dehydrated that at the Denny's on the US side of the border, I drank 24 big glasses of ice water. Yikes!
It's amazing what a motivated college kid can accomplish isn't it? We get soft as we get older. That's a cool story. Got any pictures of you immediately after a gas station visit?

Quote:
Oh, and Moogs, I'm having my house AC replaced today, and it's gonna cost me... try to guess before peeking...

$7,000

Waaaaah!!!

Holy balls! That's frickin insane. Is this a special CA discount or are you having one of those giant trane systems installed that can cool a large house to absolute zero in under 7 minutes?

...into the light of a dark black night.
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-08-01, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Do it! It's a great name.
I'm pretty sure it's done. Still getting some static from the family, but they can go to hell.

Quote:
If I didn't adopt my current dog (Britta) I would have named her 9. She's a total 9. Though, come to think about it, she's full-blooded German, so maybe that wouldn't have been such a great name. Imagine going through life hearing "NO!" all the time, and then getting a treat. Holy mixed signals.
Yeah, that's pretty funny. I'm also picturing you visiting in Germany with her, and walking around everywhere yelling out NO!! NO!! NO!! after her. Everyone would be staring at the crazy american.
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-08-01, 10:28

Quote:

$7,000

Waaaaah!!!
Jesus christ, what kind of unit are you getting? The ones we put in our new houses run us about $4000.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2008-08-01, 12:57

Drive complete. The icepack idea from brad was tried, and though helpful they lasted a full 1 hour each until melting and my cools were too rinky dink to refreeze them. I also ran out of my two giant jugs of water after about two hours. I think listened to Dune on tape and all they talked about was WATER, was not helpful

My go to move was the wash cloth in the cold ice water that was melted in my cooler. That helped stave of the insanity until the sun went down. When that happened the out door air was cool enough to have coming in and everything was great.

And All That Could Have Been
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-08-01, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Jesus christ, what kind of unit are you getting? The ones we put in our new houses run us about $4000.
4000 Canadian Dollars? These days that might be about 7000 US Dollars.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-08-01, 19:34

Quote:

Quote:
It's amazing what a motivated college kid can accomplish isn't it? We get soft as we get older. That's a cool story. Got any pictures of you immediately after a gas station visit?
Yes. Pictures. But not after the 24 big glasses of ice water. Cause they'd all be in the loo. And I'm no pervert!
Windswept
On Pacific time

2008-08-01, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escher View Post
Whoah! I guessed exactly right. Guess that's why we haven't replaced our loud, inefficient, and 10+ year-old AC unit. Probably won't get around doing it next year, though.
Start saving your pennies; and start researching local companies and prices on angieslist.com, if it's available for your area. I should have done that, because I *love* Angie's List; but the ac went out on Tuesday night, and I called my most recent service company's answering service at 5:30am on Wednesday morning.

The guy 'on call' returned my call around 6:30am, and referred my number to his boss, who called me within 30 minutes. The sales advisor came out in person by 7:45am to show me the units available, and to measure the metal parts that would need to be specially made. I picked the unit 3/4 up the list, and got set up for installation between 2 and 4pm that same day.

They ordered the 'big' crane for a two-storey house (unit's on the roof), and I had my new air conditioner by 6:30pm, installed and paid for... all in one day. It helped that it was Wednesday, middle of the week. For once, my appliance disasters didn't pick Friday afternoon to occur.

Quote:

No, I'm afraid not, Moogs.

Quote:
Holy balls! That's frickin insane. Is this a special CA discount or are you having one of those giant trane systems installed that can cool a large house to absolute zero in under 7 minutes?
Well, it's a 5-ton unit with dual fan speed, meaning that instead of crashing on and crashing off, the unit starts up with 50% fan speed, then increases gradually to high, then eases back down. Apparently saves energy and saves wear and tear on the unit, so it should last a long time. The local electric company gives a $250 rebate for buying that unit.

There was a $5,300 unit with a one-year guarantee. Then, a $6,300 with 10 year warranty, parts and labor, but a one-speed fan. Then mine at $6,900, 10 year parts and labor plus the $250 rebate. The top of the line was $9,000. I could have gotten by with the $6,300 one, but thought the two-speed fan sounded like a good idea. I'm all for easing wear and tear on the unit, and the rebate helped. AC is crucial here, so it's worthwhile to invest in the best quality possible. And, yes, it was a Trane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
See above, dear one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
4000 Canadian Dollars? These days that might be about 7000 US Dollars.
Yes, alas.

*sigh*