User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Gee, I thought this was an Apple forum...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Gee, I thought this was an Apple forum...
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-09-02, 02:56

At no time in the three years have I been here have I noticed such little focus on this place's core ideal, and so much on crap that has nothing to do with it; take this from 'view new posts':

I'm not having a go at the member base, cos I could easily create some threads myself, but it just seems slightly saddening that the place I come for nerdy love has turned into some sort of digg compendium of links and trash.

Come on guys, lets get our apple awnnn! But keep the lolcats.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-09-02, 03:11

Well, there's not much coming out of Cupertino these days anyway. However, you could go read the educational Google comic and post your opinion on Chrome.

I can see from your screen cap that you have neglected that.

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2008-09-02, 03:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post
Well, there's not much coming out of Cupertino these days anyway. However, you could go read the educational Google comic and post your opinion on Chrome.
Besides, I think the quality of the posts outside the "Speculation and Rumors" subforum tends to be much higher than those within. I started here because of the rumors, but quickly left them behind because the discussions were, for the most part, completely unenlightening. And in some cases, downright aggravating.

That aside, I still find myself compelled to avoid Apple speculation and rumors for some reason.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2008-09-02, 06:46

What we need is a picture of naked girls mud wrestling thread... or perhaps more Boobies threads. No?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-09-02, 09:30

There's not terribly much you can say about Apple-related stuff on a daily basis when you've been talking about it for years. The rumors get boring and everything else has already been said.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-09-02, 09:33

Besides, folks here make for a great bunch to socialize with.

Think it as a exclusive Country Club who happen to be full of Apple fanbois (and one PC-using heathen).

Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-09-02, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
What we need is a picture of naked girls mud wrestling thread... or perhaps more Boobies threads. No?
What we need is more cowbell.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2008-09-02, 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
There's not terribly much you can say about Apple-related stuff on a daily basis when you've been talking about it for years. The rumors get boring and everything else has already been said.
Therefore, welcome to Nova!
Chinney
Veteran Member

2008-09-02, 10:07

Quote:

Anyone want to talk about a headless iMac?
RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2008-09-02, 10:44

I take offense to referring to the hockey threads as crap.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-09-02, 11:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
full of Apple fanbois (and one PC-using heathen).

I think we have a couple, actually. In fact, I bet there are lots of Windows users here. Not many Windows-only users though.

But hey, it's a good reflection on the community when a non-Apple user can be a moderator and active participant here!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-09-02, 11:10

Probably, but not quite same thing as a heathen, is it?

No arguments RE: good reflection on AN.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-09-02, 15:36

Quote:
Not many Windows-only users though.
Sadly enough, I've joined those ranks. (Except in the computer labs, when I always ask for Macs.) But I agree with Luca's statement that it's still a great community for people who are interested in Apple even when they don't slavishly use every product.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-09-02, 15:49

My friends brother's wife dads uncles boss's friend said there was an Apple Tablet coming out soon....
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-09-02, 23:39

And what would you have us talk about?

Every rumor out there has been rehashed a thousand times over. And I'll just come out and say it:

I don't find Apple rumor-mongering to be entertaining.

I mean, really. Who gives a damn? Rumors are either far-flung to the point of stupidity, or completely predictable, or completely inane. I don't have any interest in debating the dimensions of the next iPod nano, I'll wait a few weeks and see it for myself.

For the most part, I just like the people here.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-09-03, 01:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
I don't find Apple rumor-mongering to be entertaining.
Hmmm.. should go and have a look at Turtle's thread, "How did you find Applenova"; Seems that almost half of people came here via Think Secret. Makes one wonder how many came here originally to rumor-monger.

In my case, I was searching for purchasing advices, came here, just decided to have fun discussing bad science and loved the responses, and thus called it home. So in a way, it did start out with a bit of rumor-mongering, but after I've gotten to know the scene, I just moved on to more interesting things other than rumor mongering.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2008-09-03, 05:49

I came for the rumor too. I was looking for some information about the upcoming MacPro. When they were released, I moved to other sections. In fact, I'm only watching rumors when I'm really waiting for something.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2008-09-03, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Hmmm.. should go and have a look at Turtle's thread, "How did you find Applenova"; Seems that almost half of people came here via Think Secret. Makes one wonder how many came here originally to rumor-monger.
Yes, I know, I'm in the minority. I just don't find it entertaining.

Actually, you can see me stick my foot in my mouth in that thread for that very reason. Sorry, all

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-09-03, 11:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Yes, I know, I'm in the minority. I just don't find it entertaining.
Oh, please don't think that you're the only one or in minority. I have gotten tired of it once I've known all the rehashes, and I'm sure such is the case with many posters here. Rumor-mongering is just fun only once and has no replayability value.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-03, 11:21

Of all the things here to complain about! How funny...

If my memory serves me correctly, I think you (Farenheit) are participating in most, if not all, of those threads you show. You're not sitting over alone in Rumors & Speculation, 24/7, waiting for someone to come play with you.

And it's not a zero sum deal...none of those "silly threads" are at the expense of anything Apple-related. We've got one "real life" forum, AppleOutsider, vs. the other nine Apple and tech-oriented threads. If people want to post something in one of those nine, every minute of the day, they will (and can).

There just isn't much going on right now, that's all (as Luca says above). We've made it through the iPhone 3G release, we're still struggling with that Mobile Me stuff. No new releases in a while, but with next Tuesday's iPods and possible notebooks after that, I'm sure talk will once again turn "Mac-ish" and Apple-y. It always does.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

2008-09-03, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Of all the things here to complain about! How funny...

If my memory serves me correctly, I think you (Farenheit) are participating in most, if not all, of those threads you show. You're not sitting over alone in Rumors & Speculation, 24/7, waiting for someone to come play with you.
Well, 3 of them if you look! :P
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-03, 12:11

Don't give me the facts when I'm trying to make a point. It doesn't sound as cool.