Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Using AN search

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Using AN search
Wrao
Yarp

2009-03-29, 12:20

Okay, I was trying to find a specific post. I knew that this specific post contained a very specific phrase. The Phrase was "Solve God". So, I searched foolishly for "Solve God" with NO parenthesis. I go hundreds of results, ostensibly every thread that contained either Solve or God. Okay, I waited the 30 seconds for the next search, and I tried "Solve God" WITH parenthesis, assuming this would, like Google, create a search phrase that would only search for threads/posts with that phrase. I got the exact same results. Finally I tried "Solve+God" Assuming the + would tell the search engine would do the phrase thing again. Same results as the first time.

Ultimately, I did not find my post. I recognize the irony in failing to find the result I'm looking for after typing "Solve God" into a search engine, but that aside. Why did I fail?

Also, I think that the 30 second wait is a little bit too long. Wouldn't 20 or 15 be just as effective at preventing search spam?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-03-29, 12:29

This:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22so...ient=firefox-a

Gave me this:

http://forums.applenova.com//showthread.php?t=28202
Wrao
Yarp

2009-03-29, 12:33

Kind of sad that google is better at searching this site than this site is. Oh well, thanks for the tip.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-03-29, 13:20

I thought it was basically vBulletin's fault.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2009-03-29, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
I thought it was basically vBulletin's fault.
It's obviously murbot's fault.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-03-29, 14:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Kind of sad that google is better at searching this site than this site is.
It's kind of sad that a company that makes billions of dollars a year whose primary focus is to index and search content intelligently and has one of the world's largest computer infrastructures dedicated to accomplishing that job does it better than a cheap piece of software maintained by only a few dozen developers and running on a single puny VM?

C'mon!

As for the 30 second delay, searching is unfortunately the most disk-intensive task for our software and with even a little load can cause the whole site to hang for everyone. Unless we one day get a huge wad of cash so I can improve our hardware infrastructure, that's gotta stay.

I've been tempted to bypass the internal search altogether and replace it with a search box to Google, but the internal search still provides much better search option granularity and Google doesn't always seem to have all of our pages indexed.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Wrao
Yarp

2009-03-29, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
and Google doesn't always seem to have all of our pages indexed.
Phew. Viva la resistance.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2009-03-29, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
As for the 30 second delay, searching is unfortunately the most disk-intensive task for our software and with even a little load can cause the whole site to hang for everyone. Unless we one day get a huge wad of cash so I can improve our hardware infrastructure, that's gotta stay.
How huge ? Would be cool to turn off this 30 seconds, make the site faster and all. Maybe we could start a 'Nova foundation with a amount of cash to get. We could setup something for viewing how much left needs to be donnated.

How are the things set now ? Are we using a rented dedicated server ? Shared with others ? We got our own machine ? Cause I got a couple of thousands of $ doin nothing

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-03-29, 20:35

I think it's a VPS.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-03-29, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
I think it's a VPS.
Correct! I pay for and maintain the VPS myself. It costs $20/month.

The dedicated colos I've seen for just a 1U server start between $100-200 per month, plus the upfront cost of the hardware itself.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
murbot
Hoonigan

2009-04-21, 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
It's obviously murbot's fault.
Dude, what's with the personal attacks against me? You're either attacking me or coming on to me. I'm pretty tired of it. Pretty soon I'm going to have to resort to drastic measures–like maybe pinning you down to the cement floor of the loading dock with my powerful forearms and working my cock all the way up your butt so you understand loud and clear just how much I disapprove of your unwelcome advances. I mean, you can't get much more direct than that.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2009-04-21, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Dude, what's with the personal attacks against me? You're either attacking me or coming on to me. I'm pretty tired of it. Pretty soon I'm going to have to resort to drastic measures–like maybe pinning you down to the cement floor of the loading dock with my powerful forearms and working my cock all the way up your butt so you understand loud and clear just how much I disapprove of your unwelcome advances. I mean, you can't get much more direct than that.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-04-21, 14:59

Quote:
Hahah. I would have like "massively powerful forearms" better.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2009-04-21, 18:21

Quote:
Pretty soon I'm going to have to resort to drastic measures–like maybe pinning you down to the cement floor of the loading dock with my powerful forearms and working my cock all the way up your butt so you understand loud and clear just how much I disapprove of your unwelcome advances.
Wow!

Now I know why I don't come down here much, its really dark and scary!!

turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2009-04-23, 16:51

I'll know not to unleash the wrath of murbot again, despite how aroused it might make me.
murbot
Hoonigan

2009-04-25, 14:05

I think I can let it go.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2009-04-25, 15:07

Murbot, I had the same problem with this. I really started getting rough, slapping them around whenever they were sucking my cock, but that failed, too. Even pulling out of their mouths just before ejaculation and shooting sperm all over their face, neck, chest and hair seemed to have no effect. What do I have to do to get the message across to these swishes?
murbot
Hoonigan

2009-04-25, 16:21

I know, Fahrenheit.

It screws with your head at other times, too. Every time a man passes me on the street, I'm afraid he's going to grab me and drag me off to some bathroom to suck my cock. I've even started to visualize these repulsive cock-sucking episodes during the healthy, heterosexual marital relations I enjoy with my wife–even some that haven't actually happened, like the sweaty, post-game locker-room tryst with Mark Messier that I can't seem to stop thinking about.