User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 13
Page 6 of 7 First Previous 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-06, 20:27

As we speak I am on my soon-to-be traded-in iPhone Xr reading articles about the difference between backing up to iCloud versus backing up to my computer.

My iPhone 7 Plus (running some version of iOS 12 or 13) is connected to my 7 year old MBP (running Low Sierra), theoretically being backed up.

The first backup didn’t go.

I have NO idea if I can restore the data to the new phone via this old contraption.

Everything I read says that my iCloud backup ought to work.

I’m thinking I might try that first, to squeeze out any cruft.

But I have to know that my text messages made the journey over, first.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-07, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I always buy from AT&T, walk into the store and buy it outright. Do you think it’s worth asking if they have any deals on an SE 2? Damn thing is a year-and-a-half old, after all. What if I could get it for something less than $399? I should probably drive out there and ask in the coming weeks. Not looking to change anything plan-wise, I’d just like a new SE at the cheapest, paid-upfront-with-cash price they’ll do.
If you're willing to stay with AT&T for more than 30 months there are options to get the phone for free like Ken. I know it depends on the trade in you give them though. If all you have to offer is the original SE then there isn't anything with that one. It stops at iPhone 8 for trade in IIRC. I will say though, always worth asking when you're in the store.

We actually just had our local AT&T mobile manager in our house this morning setting up a new line or my oldest daughter. She is getting a Blue mini with 256 for free (after the 30 months) thanks to me trading in a Xs.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-07, 09:20

I’m willing to stay with them forever as long as their service/coverage remains at least as good as it is now. Been with them for 17+ years, never had a reason to change/leave. I’m not a “churner” type, constantly jumping carriers/plans, etc.

But I’m not interested in my monthly bill going up by putting the phone on it. I’ll be paying for it upfront, in full, but yeah…nothing to trade in.

To me it’s the simplest thing ever but they’ll go and do all this crazy stuff/double talk and come up with some plan/program to where I get unlimited data, HBO Max free for 11 days, Spotify+, a WWE SuperPass (don’t want/need any of it, and certainly not looking to pay extra). 100% happy with my current plan, etc.

Basically I just need to go in and ask “without any bullshit, sales spiel or getting cute, can I buy the SE, today with cash, for less than $399. ‘Yes’ or ‘no’ are the only words I want to hear. If the former, let’s do it. If the latter, have a good day and I’ll get out of your hair.”

I get so tired of sales-speak/tactics. I’ve got four $100 bills (plus some more), you’ve got a year-and-a-half old non-flagship model that probably isn’t flying out the door…let’s help each other.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-07, 09:24

Yeah, I'm nearly positive you have to be on their unlimited plans to get the trade in phone deals. Not worth it for you at all.

What about 12 minis out there? Might be worth a look at one of those now that the 13 mini is out. Refurb maybe? I'm not sure of the complete spec comparison, but it is bound to be better than the SE 2 in almost every way.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-07, 09:31

It is/will but it’ll still be $200 or so more than the SE pricing I’m cool with. For things I know I truly won’t appreciate/notice. I know me…my requirements/standards are hyper-modest (some may say “low”…hell, “nonexistent” ) that the flagships just never cross my mind…they’d be wasted on me.

The SE isn’t a “settle” phone for me. I appreciate the reasonable (for me) pricing and I actually prefer the home button. I’m not enough of a camera/photography fiend to care about the double/triple lenses of the flagships. I sometimes go days and days (weeks, even) without launching the camera app.

My iPhone is primarily a Safari, Messages, Mail, FaceTime, Apple Music, Weather, Maps, Scrabble and YouTube device. I don’t game, I’m not on a single social media platform, I currently have only four third party apps installed.

I’m not like any iPhone user you’ve ever known, I’d wager my right lung on that.

I could get a 13 mini today if I wanted one, but it’s just complete overkill for my needs and I really don’t want to pay over $500 for a phone (or, as long as the SE exists, $399).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-10-07 at 10:14.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-07, 14:24

I didn't realize the 12 mini is still being sold. I assumed it would be scrapped with the 13 mini out. I don't blame you for not wanting to spend extra on it. My mom is still on an iPhone 8 and very happy with it (did I just compare you to my mom?). She uses a phone about like you describe. I do have to give her a better data plan though. She tethers her laptop to the phone all the time because I block all Facebook traffic on my network and she lives on my property.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-07, 14:33

Yeah, it's still there and $100 cheaper. I was going to get a 12 Mini, but then the carrier gave me a 13 Mini, so why would I waste my time?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-07, 15:42

I've been attempting to do a backup of 19.6GB to iCloud from my 7 Plus.

Finally decided to update to iOS 15 to see if that would help.

Of course that took forever.

It's finally in the process of rebooting and reinstalling the new operating system.

Then I'll attempt the backup to cloud again.

STILL NOT SURE if I could just hook it up to the computer running MacOS 10.12 with a lightning cable and move everything over to the iPhone 13 over a wire.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-07, 15:43

Why not do phone to phone over wifi? It would likely be much faster than all these options. When I did that with my mini it was pretty painless and didn't require every account to be re-authenticated. Some yes, but not all. Everything else was transferred over including special settings.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-07, 18:44

Seems setting up new iPhones isn't the easy thing it once was. What's happened/different?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-10-07, 18:55

It's super easy, still. It's the iCloud thing that can cause trouble. The OS needs to be up-to-date, and you have to deal with slow inter webs moving lots of data.

I back up to my computer first, and restore from that backup. Right there, in Finder, you can force the iPhone to update and then restore. Much faster, far more reliable. Do et!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-08, 23:09

You people did NOT tell me about the phone-to-phone transfer!!!! What will happen? Time well tell…

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-09, 10:50

Okay I think that I have my final report for you all.

Backing up ~20GB of data over my slow-ass connection was going to take the better part of a day. The phone would grind away for hour upon hours without the progress bar advancing more than the width of a penny until it would finally begin displaying an estimated transfer time, which would increase as time passed.

One bit of advice I found online suggested that it would go faster if you updated the OS on the phone, so I took my 7 Plus all the way up to 15.

When I went to update it via iTunes on (low) Sierra iTunes had to download an update in order to see the phone.

I did a full backup of the phone to iTunes and then turned to the new phone.

After the initial setup screen answers it popped up with a variety of options, one of which I *now* see that Turtle mentioned but had completely missed:

PHONE TO PHONE transfer

It was ridiculously simple to do it this way.

When I woke up this morning I did see that most of the apps were still pending download and then I noticed that I was not yet signed into iCloud on the new phone so I did that - the result was not immediate - a bit of a gummy, lingering "did I manage to do that or not?" hung in the air and I tried again.

Then I went to one of the apps pending download and did a long press which brought up a menu that allowed me to mark it as a 'priority'.

Still not seeing any immediate progress I went to the App Store on the new phone and found an app that had not been downloaded to my phone and clicked the cloud download icon.

In a few moments I saw the familiar radial time-wipe animation on some of the app icons.

Not sure which of my actions is what kicked off the cascade, but all the apps downloaded within the next 90 minutes and I was able to proceed to the carrier's activation sequence from their website.

As of the 11 o'clock hour I am now cooking with a new iPhone.

The remaining step will be the trade-in for the old phone.

Then our long national nightmare will be over. (thanks Gerry)

Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-09, 11:41

Quite the undertaking! I’m doing something wrong because I’ve never gone through such a time-chomping ordeal to set up a new phone.

Seems like everyone here is spending hours - if not an entire day - to get their iPhone 13 up and going, ready for use.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-09, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post

Quite the undertaking! I’m doing something wrong because I’ve never gone through such a time-chomping ordeal to set up a new phone.

I wanted to cross every T and dot every i before actually pulling the trigger. I didn't want to discover that I'd missed something. Part of my caution is probably borne from how backups from the past relied on the user, and nowadays it's all quite automated.

Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-09, 12:25

True. Everything should be pretty solid and dialed-in.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-10-09, 12:31

Looks like mine should be here ahead of schedule. Originally was supposed to ship on the 22nd but it went out earlier this week and will be here Monday.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-09, 14:08

It's nice moving over to a familiar setup.

I can even go back and find text messages from people who have passed on or who I no longer communicate with - old familiar ghosts.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-09, 14:14

I think I might be one of the few people who deletes his texts/iMessages once that particular conversation/session is over. Always have, since my first iPhone. I was texting back and forth with someone earlier this morning for about an hour, off and on.

But when things died down and we said goodbye (until later), it all got zapped. I've never kept old texts/emails. While there have been a couple of scenarios where I wish I had, I've learned that, sometimes, it's just heartache fuel in some way or another.

That something I've never had to worry about carrying over from an old phone to a new one...they're already gone, by my own hand, well before.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-09, 14:19

I'm an archivist 😎

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-10-09, 17:05

Texts sometimes just have to be saved, legal reasons for one.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-10, 13:35

I'm a bit annoyed at how easy it is to accidentally trigger the app move/delete state. I do it many times a day. This didn't happen with the phone controlled by the home button. I wonder if I can dial that down...

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-10-14, 15:28

I'm also annoyed at how frequently my phone believes I'm trying to unlock it.

I am also annoyed at how I ordered the wrong flipping case for my new phone, and how the Apple Store was unable to take it back for an exchange and told me that I had to return it via the Apple Store Online. Why is that???

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-14, 15:36

That's weird. You got it from there, in person, but they wouldn't let you return it there?

Hey, I admire you for even being able to make a purchase. The last two times I've visited an Apple Store, I didn't know WTF was going on, where to go, where I paid, etc. It's just a room you walk around in and you may, or may not, get help within 40 minutes. I liked it better when there was an obvious checkout area, a Genius Bar, etc. It was a zoo, those last two visits. It was more like a beer garden than a retail store.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-10-24, 18:44

Looks like I might be getting an iPhone 13 after all, just took the case off my XS and the battery is bulging like crazy. It’s a wonder the screen/phone still works. Second time this has happened, my 6s suffered the same fate.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-24, 18:46

I've never heard of that. Bulging? Is it about to explode or something? Does it have anything to do with the case? Or were some runs of some models known to do this?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-10-24, 23:04

It's the battery that is bulging, it puts pressure on the screen an breaks the glue. Lithium Ion batteries do that for some reasons. Due to how much time I work outdoors I wouldn't be surprised if a combination of hot and cold cycles combined with humidity are hard on my phones. I have an appointment at the Apple Store near by to see if it is savable with a new battery. The screen might not go back in right now that it has been warped.

Last edited by PB PM : 2021-10-24 at 23:20.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-10-25, 07:19

Now that is impressive! I don't know that I've seen a phone get that bad before. Do you keep it charging all the time?

I will say, I love my 13 mini. I do miss telephoto but it is a small sacrifice to have the smaller phone in my pocket.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-10-25, 08:40

I just charge the phone overnight, that’s all. I have the optimize charge feature turned on, so it doesn’t fully charge until just before I unplug it in the morning. I do the same with my iPad and other battery devices and never have this happen to them.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-10-25, 09:52

My 3GS did that as well, a few months before I was able to update to the 4S, so I had to go back to the OG iPhone for a few months.

Not something fun to realize the battery expanding like that.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.