User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple's Glass seems to be more and more frail.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple's Glass seems to be more and more frail.
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-20, 11:02

Granted, I'm a small group of people being the one complaining here right now. I have a Watch Series 3 with a broken screen and I wasn't "abusive" with it, just normal wear and tear. My iPhone 11 Pro has scratches on the screen that have been there since shortly after I bought it. What gives? I thought these things were supposed to be getting stronger and yet they seem to take scratching and cracking to a new level.

I can get my fingernail under that crack at the top and pull the screen up. Thankfully the Watch still works, but I'm going to be in the market for a new one once they are announced. My OG Watch in Stainless is still holding strong with no screen issues. I know that's due to the sapphire instead of glass, but still.

My job is a geek for a living, I'm not in construction or anything. I'm also not overly abusive of my gear and yet this glass just doesn't seem to hold up anywhere near like it used to. Heck, my iPhone XS got more use that the 11 Pro and the screen is still pristine on it. Not a mark, let alone many of them.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-08-20, 12:12

You weren't supposed to break your Apple Glasses NDA!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-20, 12:24

hehe
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-08-20, 17:08

Strange, never scratched or broken the screens of any of my iPhones (4/5c/6s/Xs), and I have on several occasions fumbled and dropped them face down onto rocks or concrete. Never used screen protectors, but always high quality cases.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-08-20, 21:02

I use the glass covers religiously after breaking my screen once.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-21, 08:07

The really odd part is that this is the only set of devices I've really had scratch or crack like this. I have dropped my iPad twice (well me once and my infant pulled it to the floor) and those broke. I dropped my phone between my bed and nightstand and it hit the metal bed frame once. Other than those three times over the past +15 years I've not had something like this.

Again, if I were in construction or even a job that is a manual labor job of any kind I'd just write it off as me being rough. I sit/stand at a desk all day.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-22, 01:33

My leather couch did it in today.

I'm wanting to wait for the next gen to release so I'm actually paying Apple $250 to repair this one so I can get SS or Titanium in the new model.

BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2020-08-22, 13:55

Depending on how old the watch is, I think this might be covered under Apple's screen replacement program: https://support.apple.com/screen-rep...tch-series-2-3
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-22, 14:11

Man, that looks just like my Watch when the screen cracked. I'm chatting with Apple now to see if we can get this changed over to free.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-22, 16:04

After one chat and two phone calls later I'm getting refunded the repair fee and my Watch is getting replaced/repaired for free!

I'm still really annoyed that the glass seems to frail. In the quest for thin we really lose durability. I get that the Watch was a special case given it is a known problem, but thinner isn't better.

BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2020-08-23, 15:35

Nice! Hopefully the fact that the screen replacement program is limited to Watches 2 and 3 means that 4 and 5 aren't affected as much—maybe something got redesigned when they made the screen bigger for the 4.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-08-30, 20:42

I got my replacement Watch in yesterday and it is everything I hoped it would be.

Even better, I got the email today that my card was going to be refunded for the cost of the repair I prepaid for!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-10, 13:24

Looks like someone started a class action lawsuit about this with the Watch.

Not sure why they would but I guess in a litigious culture it makes sense.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-10, 13:48

Lawyers hunting easy money and using a money-grubber to get to it. Nothing else. The individual presumably suffered a minor injury, and the lawyers smell millions.

The watch, like iPhones and Mac laptops, is designed to come apart to permit the battery to swell safely. The other option would be that you have a literal *bomb* strapped to your wrist.

Yes, the glass can be fractured and a person could get cut by it, but it is not the life-ending catastrophe that our lawsuit-happy culture is making it out to be. Apple has lots of money, and the easy way to get some of it is to file a class-action that will net the class-members a few pennies while the lawyers make many millions. It's a scam that people buy into hoping for their own millions, but getting only $25.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-10, 13:54

I will throw out there though that my 13 mini has a scratch on it's screen that got there during the first week. I no longer place it screen down anywhere.

Last edited by turtle : 2021-12-10 at 14:18.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-10, 13:57

Shiny things scratch. That's life.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-10, 14:18

drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-12-10, 15:57

Dang it. I have been carrying my 13 around sans glass protector up until now.

I guess that's about to change.... crap.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-12-10, 16:09

My Apple Watch SE started feeling a little odd about a week ago. Touches would come with a little 'pop', as if there was water underneath the display.

Then, a few days later, the bottom third of the display started coming off.

Then yesterday, the entire thing flew across the room.

Unclear what happened. Did dirt get inside? Did the battery swell? Did the glue get loose?

Fun stuff.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-10, 16:33

Did the edges look like mine posted above with the crack on the curved part? If so then it would be the same thing. Either way, I'm sure it is covered by Apple to get replaced for free.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-10, 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
My Apple Watch SE started feeling a little odd about a week ago. Touches would come with a little 'pop', as if there was water underneath the display.

Then, a few days later, the bottom third of the display started coming off.

Then yesterday, the entire thing flew across the room.

Unclear what happened. Did dirt get inside? Did the battery swell? Did the glue get loose?

Fun stuff.
You're wearing it wrong.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Yeah, that's weird for it just to come apart so spectacularly.
chucker

2021-12-10, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Did the edges look like mine posted above with the crack on the curved part?
Nope, the edges seem quite smooth, as though the two had never stuck together in the first place.
chucker

2021-12-10, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
You're wearing it wrong.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

You're the second person to tell me that it's my fault.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-10, 16:46

Yeah, but I'm joking (can't speak to the other).

Remember that was Steve's comment on the iPhone 4 Receptiongate? "You're holding it wrong", in a nutshell. Then he had to turn around and send everyone a free case.

Not even sure how one would wear a watch incorrectly.
chucker

2021-12-10, 16:52

Quote:
Yeah, but I'm joking (can't speak to the other).
Yeah, I know. Just, oof.

Quote:
Not even sure how one would wear a watch incorrectly.
I mean, I dunno. My best guess is dirt created a crack, then the various weather conditions plus sweat started pulling it apart, and one thing led to another. But then this would be happening a lot more frequently, right? And I'm hardly known for extreme sports.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-12-10, 17:29

Yeah, it's something I've never heard of/read about in an Apple watch. If this were a thing, the stories would certainly be out there by the truckload. Nothing bad/weird stays quiet or hidden for long in the era of Twitter and the rest. It's an instant, worldwide soapbox/bullhorn/complaint department/return desk.

Just a freak occurrence. Hope you get a new one out of it. Would be easier to do that than go through some repair scenario, I'd think.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-10, 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post

You're the second person to tell me that it's my fault.
It's always your fault. Don't you know anything?

Seriously, though, "flew across the room" sounds interesting. Did it "pop off and go flying"? Or did it hook on something and get flung?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-12-10, 17:46

You really should be in contact with Apple. I'm sure they will cover it as battery swelling.
chucker

2021-12-10, 17:57

Quote:
Just a freak occurrence. Hope you get a new one out of it. Would be easier to do that than go through some repair scenario, I'd think.
My understanding is Apple Watch repairs basically aren't a thing; you always get a replacement. So, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Seriously, though, "flew across the room" sounds interesting. Did it "pop off and go flying"? Or did it hook on something and get flung?
I think it just popped off as I got up. Maybe I accidentally hit the doorknob with my arm, though? I don't know.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-12-10, 18:00

Have you been to see a repair depot? Still under warranty? etc.?