Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Amazing Race 10

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Amazing Race 10
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-09-17, 20:13

this is for those of you who watch this show, if you don't like reality TV could you just PM me with your withering comments? Note that I haven't cluttered the hockey threads...

DAMMIT!!!!
I didn't know that a BRAND NEW season of The Amazing Race was starting tonight... I wandered onto it by accident, 30 minutes into the Season Premiere. Can somebody catch me up on what happened in the first 30 minutes and why there was a team eliminated so early on?

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-09-17, 20:15

They got the teams together, and had a problem. Rules aren't exactly clear on the matter, but there was some argument over whether or not teams *HAD* to wear clothes.

I guess they didn't read Team Nudity USA's application too closely...
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2006-09-17, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Can somebody catch me up on what happened in the first 30 minutes and why there was a team eliminated so early on?
Don't know if I remember the right order on what happened, but the standard introduction... Teams caught a flight to Beijing, I think the first task was to find a restaurant and eat some fish eyes, then make it to one of the mid-point locations where they had to wait until the morning (not a pit stop though).

The last team that made it to that point was eliminated... it was part of their "some new surprises" for this season of the show.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-09-17, 21:12

Thanks!
I hope that they haven't jazzed it up too much this year. I know that they change things up from year to year to try to keep people from gaming it...

Captain Drew on Twitter
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2006-09-18, 04:11

Ran into Phil at work about a month ago as he is a good NZ boy, who comes back to NZ for motivational speeches regarding kids.

Got the feeling he gets asked about the AR too much, and is almost on auto-pilot if you ask him about it.

Likes a good pinot though.

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-09-18, 04:19

Sweet! It's on tonight over here.. Can't wait to see the first 30 minutes!!
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-10-08, 22:02

Holy CRAP!!!
I really do hate to see teams fall completely apart, especially...
Spoiler (click to toggle):

Like tonight when Sarah had to do the ascenders then rappel down and then... well, hell, just everything that they did... her boyfriend Peter is a douchebag. Mr. Whiney asshole who lets his bionic girlfriend do all the hard shit. Man that just pissed me off.

And what's the guy's name who was in the team that finished first tonight? Going through the race having a nonstop tantrum is SO charming, hello Mr. Ugly American.

Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-11-19, 21:22

hoooooo......
Spoiler (click to toggle):

Well the only team that I can even remotely cheer for now is Tyler and James, with the Cho brothers having been eliminated. Cheering against the girls is the best reason to watch now....

Captain Drew on Twitter
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2006-11-19, 22:33

Do you really think that reality shows like this are "as they happen" and completely free-form?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-11-19, 22:34

Not at all, I work(ed) in the 'biz too long
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2006-11-19, 22:46

Me too.
I know a writer on the show.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-11-19, 22:54

I'm assuming that a lot of the interviews and congregational situations are prey to scripted elements... not so much during the insanity of driving all over Helsinki and back. The consideration given to the locations and the tasks must be fun, at times there's obvious intent with some of the tasks...

Regardless of the degree of tweakage, it's still a lot of fun to watch, especially the little captions when people are unintelligible but say something especially stupid... and the edits to show the stupid things that people say in the heat of the race... the Ugly Americanisms that make you wince... the times that they walk past a marker, etc, etc.

Captain Drew on Twitter
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-12-10, 20:53

Holy crap!
Scratt, get 'hold of the finale to this season's AR - there's a bit of skydiving in the first hour... very cool!! ::currenly watching the finale::
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2006-12-10, 21:08

Thanks for the heads up...

I always wondered if they would let me do a skydive myself if I was on the amazing race, or whether I would have to do a Tandem. *shudders*

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-12-10, 21:34

Have to say that a 1 Hour finale was kind of unexpected...