User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Missing CNET Reporter (update: found dead)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Missing CNET Reporter (update: found dead)
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-12-01, 15:01

There's an article over on Engadget that one of their reporters and his family have gone missing.
Have YOU seen James Kim??
shatteringglass

2006-12-01, 15:06

I'm not sure if James Kim does any reporting for Engadget. He works over at CNet right now. He was once a product reviewer at the now-defunct TechTV. He does good work.

I'm hoping for the best.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-12-01, 15:31

Oh yeah, I'm such a good reader....
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-12-01, 15:58

I remember him from his TechTV days. I hope he's okay.
washington mac user
can't read

2006-12-02, 02:15

I hope they find him and his family
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-12-02, 02:16

ahhh TechTV. Damn you G4. Bitches. But saw it yesterday. I heard they're doing areal searches now.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-12-02, 03:23

Quote:
hope he's okay.
Really doubtful at this point. It's like the best case scenario right now is that they've been abducted...heh.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-12-03, 00:59

If somebody can change the title of this thread to "Missing CNET Reporter" it would be swell. I just finished checking the news sites and saw that the family is still missing. One report indicated that conditions were rainy in the mountain pass they were in and that temps were near freezing, suggesting that the current mode of thinking is that their vehicle left the road. The car didn't have LoJack or OnStar onboard so they can't locate it using those technologies.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-12-03, 01:44

CNN has picked up the story.

However, given the return trip terrain and the weather involved, I believe this will end badly.
Jamie240

2006-12-03, 08:03

CNN now has a video - called 'Family Vanishes on Thanksgiving Trip'.

It interviews his sister and a co-worker.

What a very sad story this seems likely to turn out to be.

As a general rule, probably not a good idea to drive through rugged terrain during winter, especially with young children in the car.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-12-04, 18:38

His wife and daughters have been found.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16036886/

It appears that he strapped on some snowshoes to try to find some help. Obviously, search teams are still looking for him.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2006-12-04, 18:51

Good for the family, I pray he can be found, alive.

My brother lives in Grants Pass, I wonder if he's trying to help find him? That's the kind of thing he would do...

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-12-04, 18:57

I'll bet a lot of people roll out to help look for him.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-12-04, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I'll bet a lot of people roll out to help look for him.
Yep. Even though the search had started to cool off, now that the wife and kids have been found, the search for him should intensify now. I really hope they find him. Yes, I love his work, and I respect him as a journalist (one of the few true journalists in tech), but more for his wife and daughters. Kids need all the help they can get in this world, and if he's half the guy people are saying he is, I'm sure he's a hell of a dad.

Eugene
careful with axes

2006-12-04, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgriz View Post
His wife and daughters have been found.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16036886/

It appears that he strapped on some snowshoes to try to find some help. Obviously, search teams are still looking for him.
Absolutely retarded and naive unless he has decent survival experience. This isn't the movies and you don't do that type of thing alone, you bring at least one other person with you if available...otherwise stay put.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-12-04, 20:09

Well, if he had snowshoes, he must have had *some* skills.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-12-04, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Absolutely retarded and naive unless he has decent survival experience. This isn't the movies and you don't do that type of thing alone, you bring at least one other person with you if available...otherwise stay put.
Who should have gone with him then, his wife or one of the kids? Obviously he should have stayed put, but he waited a week before taking off. They were last seen Nov. 25, and he didn't take off until Dec. 2. Once you've been sitting around waiting for a week, you're probably starting to believe that nobody's coming.

World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2006-12-04, 20:18

Quote:
Who should have gone with him then, his wife or one of the kids? Obviously he should have stayed put, but he waited a week before taking off. They were last seen Nov. 25, and he didn't take off until Dec. 2. Once you've been sitting around waiting for a week, you're probably starting to believe that nobody's coming.
But you've probably never been lost in the mountains before. Let me tell you, time is a meaningless concept when you can't find anyone. I'm not surprised that he took went looking for help, that's what I did.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-12-04, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Well, if he had snowshoes, he must have had *some* skills.
That's sort of a weak assumption given his physical attributes. Having the gear doesn't equate to having the knowledge/skills to trek out across a mountain pass by yourself and live to tell about it.
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-12-04, 20:26

Quote:
Obviously nobody else could have gone with him, so that's all the more reason to not go anywhere. Going out alone after a week without adequate nourishment is even more pointless.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-12-06, 15:53

Sadly, it appears Kim has been found dead. A news conference is being held now, but I'm at work, so I can't watch it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16070337/

murbot
Hoonigan

2006-12-06, 15:58

Damn, that's really too bad. I guess a week of being stuck there with his family starving and freezing made him think that going out was their only chance to make it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2006-12-06, 16:11

It's so weird...watching someone on TV, reading their work, emailing with them...and then they're just gone.

My thoughts and (weird, agnostic, non-deity-specific) prayers are with his family.

. I really don't know what else to say.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2006-12-06, 17:05

This story just got a whole lot sadder:

Quote:
Searchers told NBC News that at one point they were able to make direct contact with Kim on the ground and that they had explored ways to lower a medic to the site. It was not immediately clear whether that attempt was aborted or was undertaken too late to save Kim.
This whole tragedy has made me so very sad. As a journalism student, I look up to a lot of other journalists. Kim was one of very few technology journalists I actually respected.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-12-06, 17:10

Man, it just gets worse.

What a tragic series of events...
Windswept
On Pacific time

2006-12-06, 17:21

These last few days, I've been imagining him out there, wondering what he might be doing and thinking at that very moment, and imagining how horrible the situation had to have been for him - having to endure the freezing misery, hour after hour, day after day.

Wearing tennis shoes in the snow. How unbelievably horrible the nights must have been.

Poor guy. I just feel so awful at the ordeal that he suffered.

One news report said that they wanted to take a road with a scenic view.

Don't know if that happened to be true or not.

What started as one of life's minor whims, ends in a most final and inescapable termination of life.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2006-12-06, 19:05

I met him once during a visit to TechTV studios. Great guy.

They have no obligation to (I don't think), but hopefully C|Net will help out the family in some way... College fund for the kids, perhaps.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2006-12-06, 19:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
These last few days, I've been imagining him out there, wondering what he might be doing and thinking at that very moment, and imagining how horrible the situation had to have been for him - having to endure the freezing misery, hour after hour, day after day.

Wearing tennis shoes in the snow. How unbelievably horrible the nights must have been.

Poor guy. I just feel so awful at the ordeal that he suffered.

One news report said that they wanted to take a road with a scenic view.

Don't know if that happened to be true or not.

What started as one of life's minor whims, ends in a most final and inescapable termination of life.
Truly awful. I just can't imagine how bad it must have been for him to know that his family was also stranded (since he didn't know they were rescued) and still be unable to return to the car. It must have been absolutely beyond a humans limits.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2006-12-06, 19:26

It will be weird to fall on one of his review on cnet. You just can't forget what happended to him.

He seemed a nice guys, I can't imagine what the family is going through right now.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Eugene
careful with axes

2006-12-06, 20:48

Makes a real case for OnStar or similar. Anyone have a list of similar services that aren't bound to car brands...

Also in hindsight I would have treated the gas in the car as gold...using it only as an accelerant to start a fire as was done with the tires. Any excursion would have been to go looking for firewood, you could probably even chop down small trees with your cross-wrench if one side has a flat head. Things to know for the future I guess.