Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2021-04-20, 12:55

iPad Pro
  • M1 chip added, 8 core CPU and an 8 core GPU as well
  • up to 2TB storage configuration
  • USB-C port is Thunderbolt port (supporting USB4), 4x more bandwidth for wired connections, can support external displays at up to 6K resolution
  • 5G chip for connectivity on LTE enabled devices
  • camera improvements: front camera has 12MP ultrawide camera to enable CenterStage (uses machine learning to pan to keep people in view)
  • HDR screen with 4 million pixels on 11" and 4.6 on 12.9". ( Liquid Retina XDR. 1000 nits of full-screen brightness. 1600 nits of peak brightness. 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio )
  • 11" at $799 and 12.9" at $1099
  • April 30 for pre-orders, availability second half of May

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
¡Damned!

2021-04-20, 13:00

*sad iPad mini noises*
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-20, 13:30

Ooh, that's right, nothing else got touched. I guess the other, non-Pro iPads get some attention this autumn.

It was a quick one, too. Came in right at one hour. But I didn't miss the third-party demos done by people who've never stood in front of a crowd before...those are painful to sit through.

PS - I like how Apple has a whale in their pond.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-20, 13:37

I was in Teams with a couple of folks and one of them was losing their mind over the iPad getting an M1.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-20, 14:07

The camera-following feature is pretty cool.
Dr. Bobsky

2021-04-20, 17:04

this always seems to happen to me: I bought a iPad mini a moment before they upgraded to the third gen, then bough a fourth a moment before the fifth... I just bought the smaller ipad pro two months ago... ah well..
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-21, 14:14

Tech specs:

128, 256, and 512 models come with 8GB RAM
1TB and 2TB come with 16GB RAM.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-21, 15:07

Quite a leap. Maybe they're planning to do something with all that RAM after all…
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-21, 15:13

You mean, like run Mac OS?

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-04-21, 15:18

Probably not that in particular, but they really need to do something to answer, after many years, "OK, that's an interesting high-end tablet — now what do I do with it?"

Procreate, sure, but that also runs on the $599 iPad Air. The 12.9-inch iPad Pro needs to offer more than just nicer speakers and a bigger surface.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-21, 15:48

Apparently not.

Man, they make some weird shit. It all looks very pretty and cool-as-can-be, but when you step back, sober up and blink your eyes a bit, you have to wonder about some things. Do people in various departments sometimes lose a bet?

You should never have to ask “why does this exist?”
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-21, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
You should never have to ask “why does this exist?”
I keep saying it: The iPad Pro is and has been a top-secret test-bed for app developers to unwittingly use to port their apps to the Mx processor. It gave Apple the app library they needed to move to their own SoC without all of the "man, we got to rebuild everything" whining that came with the shift to Intel.

And now, with the M1 landing in the iPad Pro, we can see the next step in this evolution: The Ax processors are on their way out, soon to be replaced by ever more efficient Mx chips, even in the iPhone. Before long, there will be a single, consistent SoC running all of Apple's stuff, with a single, consistent library of apps to choose from, differentiated only by the UI.

Personally, I think it's the single most brilliant coup ever attempted in industry. And all right under the ever-vigilant eyes of apple's competitors, the press, the gubmint, developers, the end-users, all of us!

Absolutely brilliant!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-21, 17:00

Well, when one puts it like that...

Hmm.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-22, 08:26

So I have a 12.9" iPad Pro and I love it. Mine is the one with only 1 camera on the back that is now the iPad Air (iPad Pro 3rd Gen). I got mine "clearance" from B&H after the new Pro was being released.

Thing is, I'm not using it to it's fullest potential at all. I have the folding keyboard for it and do occasionally modify code or other higher level odd tasking that isn't just watching shows or playing games.

Seems if I really want this to replace my laptop I need the real keyboard with trackpad. Or a separate mouse/track pad at the least with my folding keyboard. Now it is more like a MB Air though.

The ability to detach and be a slate is nice and certainly worth it for me.

So trying to figure out the place for this product I can only think of it like a MB Air with a detachable touchscreen. I mean, Surface seems really the same if you think about it. Apple just focuses on creative where MS focuses on business productivity.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

2021-04-22, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
So trying to figure out the place for this product I can only think of it like a MB Air with a detachable touchscreen. I mean, Surface seems really the same if you think about it. Apple just focuses on creative where MS focuses on business productivity.
Right. Surface uses Windows, which at this point is sort of OK at the whole desktop/mobile merger thing. You get all the classic apps and if you squint a little, they kind of work even on a tablet (except when they hilariously fail at, say, HiDpi).

But iPad uses iPadOS. IMO, it's way better than Windows 10 as a pure tablet OS. But once you get into the purported iPad Pro use cases, that line becomes a lot muddier. Multitasking, moving documents from one app to another, etc.? Possible, but hoo boy.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-22, 19:48

The is why I don’t use my iPad. I. Was trying to think of why I don’t go to my iPad for real computing; multitasking. Slide over is “ok” but nothing like the three monitors I normally work with day to day. I. Feel cramped on this 12.9” iPad Pro right now. Sure it is good for many tasks, but like when I’m helping my son with coding I go to my workstation where my MBP is docked to two monitors. Switching with expose is massive too. I can do that for single apps on the iPad, but not really the same at all.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-22, 21:08

I just realized that it's the giant onscreen keyboard that pushed me away from my iPad.

chucker

2021-04-23, 03:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Switching with expose is massive too. I can do that for single apps on the iPad, but not really the same at all.
I recently watched the video where Steve originally introduced Exposé. The audience was in awe; it clearly makes for a fun visual demo (especially since this was 2003), but also, it's quite useful!

That trick of "pretty, yet also very functional" is hard to pull off, but it seems overdue for the iPad. And I think it starts with stopping with the minimalism. Add some visual affordances again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
I just realized that it's the giant onscreen keyboard that pushed me away from my iPad.

Does the split mode help?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-23, 07:56

Nope I'm not a thumb typist, I'm a swipist.

And seriously, this revelation only hit me yesterday but it answered the mystery of why I accepted the smaller screen of the 7Plus and stopped using my iPad at home.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-23, 08:24

I just looked and I have 12 "desktops" with some being full screen single apps like my primary Windows 10 VM. I'm constantly swiping between desktops and apps with the Magic Trackpad. I just can't really get that on the iPad. I can swipe and change apps, but that isn't the same. Certainly not with a screen that small to be able to fully multitask even close to the same.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-23, 10:56

I owned an iPad Mini for about a year or so. When I started writing my second book, I realized just how much of a kludge the silly thing was. It was absolutely useless. I haven't owned an iPad since, and that was … 7 years ago?

Funny thing, my wife got me an iPad as a gift, but I had no use for it. She was really bummed about that until it landed in her mitts. Now, it's her everyday thing, but she is only interested in Facebook, Pinterest, and messaging. So it's perfect for her. Those things don't interest me and I'm not an artist, so I simply cannot find a use for the silly things—even at the Air or Pro level.

Totally useless.

In my experience whether in personal use, watching others, or selling the silly things, I have come to the conclusion that there are three markets for iPads:

1) I have money burning a hole in my pocket (any iPad will do up to the amount I want to spend on frivolous things);
2) I play Candy Crush (base 32GB iPad);
3) I am a serious creative type that professionally uses Procreate, Photoshop, and a handful of other creative-type apps (iPad Air will do in a pinch, but I want a bigger screen so the 12.9" Pro is my choice).

In these scenarios, there is absolutely no reason for the 11" iPad Pro to exist, and almost no reason for the iPad Mini to exist (although I do get the desire for some folks). Either the Air needs to go away, or the 11" Pro needs to go away, and the Mini needs a serious overhaul. Since the Air is the best overall value above the base iPad, the 11" Pro is just … dumb.

Edit: And now there's this utterly stupid thing! The new 12.9" iPad Pro does not work with the old iPad Pro Magic Keyboard. This is the dumbest accessory-related thing Apple has done in ages!

Seriously, unbelievable!

That is a $350 thing that will be rendered useless for a lot of upgraders. Apparently it's because the new 12.9" iPad Pro is .5mm thicker!

Well, at least they've given up on "thinner at any cost".

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-04-23 at 11:35.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-04-23, 11:34

I owned one for a while back in 2012-2013. I think it was the third or fourth generation full size (this was all pre-Air, Pro, etc.). At the time I was working night shift at a nuclear plant (nothing technical/critical, just personnel/work hour/fatigue monitoring...I had more money than I knew what to do with, and I got this so I could have something to keep me company (I was alone for eight hours every night in a trailer for about four months, answering a phone that never rang, etc.). So I'd load movies and stuff on it and that was the only way I managed that four-month "vampire" existence.

I sold it soon after.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-23, 12:00

Apple has their consumer audience dialed in on these products.

Passive consumption has to be the highest use.

I'm interested in having one as a sketchpad and painting tool.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-23, 12:16

You can do that with a base iPad for $329, and a Pencil for $99.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-04-23, 14:49

Yup, never got the point of the iPad Pro, for anyone other than artists who use the pencil. For everything else the entry level model is more than good enough. Got an iPad G2, then the iPad G5, still use it now. Good for reading books, watching YouTube and such. Serious writing? Not without a Bluetooth keyboard.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-23, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
never got the point of the iPad Pro, for anyone other than artists who use the pencil
Even then I'm not sure I get it. You really have to be pushing boundaries for it to make any sense. All of the other iPads work for almost all artistic work.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-04-23, 19:33

The other iPads don’t have as much RAM, which you need for layer work in Photoshop or similar apps.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-04-23, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
The other iPads don’t have as much RAM, which you need for layer work in Photoshop or similar apps.
Yep.

I wouldn't spend half a whack of money for not-enough-performance.

"Always over-spec a Mac" has been my lesson over the past 30 years.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-23, 22:15

The new iPad Pro's are definitely a step up in processing power. No doubt about it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-04-24, 19:02

Don't forget, there are those who see these as gaming consoles for on the go. Sure it is frivolous spending, but it is very capable for that kind of work.