iPod Users Go Into the Closet

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-10-14, 13:35

I thought somebody would make a thread about this, but nobody did, so here I go...

I was actually just thinking about this on the 12th when it was written. I keep seeing people on campus with white ear buds. I don't know if any of them were anything other then PC weenies. Not weenies because they used a PC, but weenies because they are.

It is less special when everyone has the same thing. I like having more superior products than others.

I actually did buy different headphones (earbuds) but not because I want to be different, I wanted higher audio quality.
¡Damned!

2004-10-14, 14:06

The "iPod nod".

Classic.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2004-10-14, 15:01

I too got different earbuds for my iPod. The question I get now is where are your white earbuds and can I have them if you arent using them anymore. Its like people dont even care about the actual iPod anymore. What is the world coming to???
Quagmire
meh

2004-10-14, 17:17

I have no problem with wearing my white iPod headphones. The only worry if some theif comes along see's the white buds and says hand over the iPod and takes out a weapon. Of course I have a weapon which is the iPod. But, I will have to give it to him since my life means more then a stupid iPod.

giggity
Wrao
Yarp

2004-10-14, 17:21

I don't think I've ever once worn my white headphones on the street, but my pod is broken now, so bleh.

I actually have a friend who has a Creative Zen3, she takes great pride in the fact that it's NOT an iPod.

Last edited by Wrao : 2004-10-14 at 17:27.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-10-14, 17:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I don't think I've ever once worn my white headphones on the street, but my pod is broken now, so bleh.

I actually have a friend who has a Creative Zen3, she takes great pride in the fact that it's NOT an iPod.
Well that is silly. I mean, it's one thing to like being the small elite, but the product you are using has to be better. I haven't used a Zen3, but from reading and looking at it, I prefer my iPod.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-10-14, 18:28

I have a friend like that Wrao. He insists that its better because it has a jog dial.

I guess in an arguement anything goes?

BTW, he has a Creative Zen.

I also know people who hate the iPod simply because its popular. This I'll never understand. Its from the same people who also hate LOTR because its popular, so I just kind of ignore them.
Quagmire
meh

2004-10-14, 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeDude
I have a friend like that Wrao. He insists that its better because it has a jog dial.

I guess in an arguement anything goes?

BTW, he has a Creative Zen.

I also know people who hate the iPod simply because its popular. This I'll never understand. Its from the same people who also hate LOTR because its popular, so I just kind of ignore them.
Does he use Windows? That will kind of destroy his why he hates the iPod thing wouldn't it? Windows is popular and he likes it, iPod is popular and he hates it. If that is the case, I am confused as you are.

giggity
Wrao
Yarp

2004-10-14, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Well that is silly. I mean, it's one thing to like being the small elite, but the product you are using has to be better. I haven't used a Zen3, but from reading and looking at it, I prefer my iPod.
It's not as bad as you'd think, it has a touch sensitive strip so navigation is easy enough, the body is bigger than the pod considerably, the backlight is worse, it has more buttons and it's a more bland color, but it still holds a ton of music.

A word on the Zen's touch strip, it's a vertical strip that feels identical to the iPod scroll wheel, you'd think this would be more logical, since lists are vertically arranged from top to bottom, not right to left like the iPod scroll wheel motion, however, it's pretty awkward to navigate this thing, it just doesn't feel very natural. I can't quite put my finger on it(ha!), my brother suggested that it might have something to do with the continuous motion the scroll wheel provides, versus the "having to move your finger back to the top of the strip" the scroll strip provides.

The strip has a pretty hefty acceleration, which, I assume is to compensate for it being a strip and not a wheel. A nice idea in concept, the acceleration directly interfered with my listening and browsing a couple of times, it might have had something to do with me being used to iPod sensitivity or functionality, but it was still pretty weird.

wait...why have I posted this much on a subject no one here cares about?

CubeDude, those people are the types of people, generally speaking, that take *great* pride in having piece of mind that they are, in some way, unique. The ironical thing is that it's quite often a direct result of trying to hard to be counter-culture, which, if you ask me, is conformist in itself.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-10-14, 20:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
Does he use Windows? That will kind of destroy his why he hates the iPod thing wouldn't it? Windows is popular and he likes it, iPod is popular and he hates it. If that is the case, I am confused as you are.
The difference, I'd say, is that iPod is not merely popular, it's trendy, it's hip, and it's in demand. Windows may control the market, but it's not necessarily hip, trendy or even in demand, it just kind of is.
SledgeHammer

2004-10-15, 00:01

I remember when the iPod first came out and those white earbuds were a sign that you had found a fellow Mac user. There was just something about that that made me smile, I guess.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-10-15, 00:09

I can't even use regular earbuds anyway, so the original white headphones that come with the iPod are out of the question. I just don't have that little flap near the opening of the ear canal.

I'm still using the Etymotic ER-6s, but when those finally wear out I'll probably switch to something with better construction like the Shure equivalent.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2004-10-15, 05:12

I know at least one guy who'll wouldn't get an iPod if they were paying him to take it. He hates Apple that much. The funny thing is that if his employer (MS) hadn't copied Apple, they wouldn't have gotten big enough to hire him.

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-10-15, 08:20

So this is what it's like on the other side of popularity, eh?
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-10-15, 09:15

Be careful what you wish for, I guess
rasmits
rams it

2004-10-15, 15:42

Muggers in Europe are targeting those with white earbuds, so they can attack and take their iPod. True story...
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-10-15, 15:44

Vigilante groups are going to start plugging white earbuds into tasers and hiding them in their pockets.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2004-10-17, 01:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto
Vigilante groups are going to start plugging white earbuds into tasers and hiding them in their pockets.
Sounds like fun to me

Anybody got a taser I can borrow?
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-10-17, 03:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer
I remember when the iPod first came out and those white earbuds were a sign that you had found a fellow Mac user. There was just something about that that made me smile, I guess.
yes I remember those times...
I probably was the first person to have one on the NYC subway, upper east side, and Long Island Railroad... that was a long time ago (the day they released the iPod it was delivered to my school, I had it purchased through the school to save $30 on it)

I was a senior in HS...

It was fun to play with it, but I had to settle for just the game and pretty mirror the first day. I had no use for the white headphones until I loaded my music the next day.

It was funny because at the time I had told one of my friends that this was going to completely transform Apple and possibly lead to major acceptance of the company (this was even before the device was announced), so he was interested in seeing it as well. Of course, he has yet to buy one. But I was right about the impact it would have.

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)