2020-06-24, 23:06

My cable is AMAZING, thankyouverymuch.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-06-24, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
My mid-2012 MBP is on Catalina and chimes...
Cannot say I miss the chimes, it's not even as good as the old classic Mac chime anyway. The first thing I used do on a new Mac is mute the built in speakers and plug in a 2.5" headphone cord so I don't have to hear the chime.
Quagmire
meh

2020-06-25, 11:01

For those who want to turn on the chime, just type sudo nvram StartupMute=%00 into terminal and restart the computer when done. That enables to chime.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-06-25, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Cannot say I miss the chimes, it's not even as good as the old classic Mac chime anyway. The first thing I used do on a new Mac is mute the built in speakers and plug in a 2.5" headphone cord so I don't have to hear the chime.
I miss the days when there were different chimes based on generation!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-06-25, 20:38

Yes! I think that last time the chime changed was in the 90's was it not? I think it kind of stuck once we hit the G3 generation, but I'd have look it up, since I didn't pay much attention to it. Sometimes we used to fire up our old SE, it's so different from the modern machines that it is almost a shock to hear.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-06-26, 05:55

Yeah, sounds about right.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2020-06-26, 19:32

I used to keep sound clips of all the different Mac chimes since Apple would update them every generation or so. I'm pretty sure I still have them buried in a backup folder somewhere, but yes, I can say with reasonable confidence that the current chime has been unchanged since the late 1990s with the introduction of the G3.

I actually liked the sound of the previous generation in the mid 90s slightly better because it had a slightly higher pitch and (I think) had a slight stereo reverb.

edit: Wow, I found my backup folder, last touched in 2007. All of these clips are old Apple AIFFs. I'll convert to something modern and throw up a link to share just for kicks.

edit2: Here ya' go: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5rf1mqa19...EnkxeC-Ta?dl=0

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Quagmire
meh

2020-06-26, 19:47

If you download Mactracker app, it has every startup chime each computer had.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2020-06-27, 11:52

Mactracker is great for a number of reasons, including this one. There's a folder in the application package with all of the chimes in m4a format.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-29, 10:49

Well, that (Mactracker) was fun. Especially the "death" chimes.