Biggest Pet Peeves?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Biggest Pet Peeves?
Page 4 of 6 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Next Thread Tools
Anonymous Coward

2007-08-16, 15:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
What vocal group are you talking about? Where are the people up in arms about Shakespeare's usage of the word "gay"?
There is no group that I know of. It was just a hypothetical situation. I was just trying to explain the possible consequences of what might happen when a perfectly acceptable word becomes not so acceptable, given someone who would have used the word in another context. I mean, given other things that have become law due to the action of some non-specific vocal group (for example, say, Christian conservatives), can't anyone else imagine the possibility?

So, you must understand why this is a pet peeve; that is, if the meaning of words can change within one's lifetime? Not just an alternate meaning, but isn't it clear that some of the people who replied to my original peeve post only recognize one meaning of the word in question?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-08-16, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Coward
There is no group that I know of. It was just a hypothetical situation. I was just trying to explain the possible consequences of what might happen when a perfectly acceptable word becomes not so acceptable, given someone who would have used the word in another context. I mean, given other things that have become law due to the action of some non-specific vocal group (for example, say, Christian conservatives), can't anyone else imagine the possibility?
I guess I just don't see why the word is "not so acceptable."

Quote:
So, you must understand why this is a pet peeve; that is, if the meaning of words can change within one's lifetime? Not just an alternate meaning, but isn't it clear that some of the people who replied to my original peeve post only recognize one meaning of the word in question?
Actually, I think we were all well-versed in the meanings of the word "gay" before your post. I suspect Farenheit and I were taken aback for reasons other than our lack of knowledge of the word.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-16, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I used to put about twenty fags in my mouth a day.
I knew I liked you for some reason.

Here's another pet peeve: how $#%%#@!%^&&$&$# HOT is is!!!!!

I'm dyin' to death here!

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-08-16, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
My "Big 8":

• Talkers in movies...STFU!
• Cell phone abusers
• Condescending, hyper-P.C. types who like to lecture "the rest of us"
• "Reality" TV...the worst thing ever, for so many reasons
• Dane Cook and Kevin Smith, and the people who think they're funny
• Graceless, spazzy geeks with no manners or basic social skills
• Vain, arrogant people...especially those with no visible reason(s) for being so
• "Money" people/vapid yuppie types

Score one... err... eight for Scates. Talk about channeling. I'll just add:

9. Jackass crotch-rocket owners who think they're auditioning for Fast and the Furious 2.5, riding wheelies down heavily crowded highways at 80+mph.

10. People whose rims and tail lights cost more than the rest of their POS used Asian import.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-08-16, 15:23

Quote:
I knew I liked you for some reason.

Here's another pet peeve: how $#%%#@!%^&&$&$# HOT is is!!!!!

I'm dyin' to death here!

I think Vegas is my pet peeve.

Yes, the entire city.
Unch

2007-08-16, 15:27

Quote:
So...people who read Shakespeare have to understand his vocabulary?
Not even Shakespeare, Enid Blyton. The Famous Five books describe the character "George", a young tomboy whose real name is Georgina, as a "queer girl". This is a reference to her behaviour rather than any allusions to her being a lesbian.

"It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you."
Anonymous Coward

2007-08-16, 15:32

Quote:
I guess I just don't see why the word is "not so acceptable."
Context is everything. If, as you say, the etymology of the word is well known, and if it is true that the current use of the word is insensitive, and in the past it was a generic adjective, then I can't see the point of generating more posts to dilute this thread.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-08-16, 15:37

etymology etismology.

Bottom line is - people use the word gay as a bad word - and they mean gay as in homosexual. Ergo, people use being homosexual as a derogative term. You know its true - not nice, but true.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2007-08-16, 15:48

I get really annoyed by people who walk very slowly and in groups down a sidewalk or refuse to get onto one side of the sidewalk so faster paced people can pass without having to walk in the street or be stuck behind them. Also, I hate when people just stop in the center of a sidewalk to talk to someone or answer their cellphone. Last time I checked walking and talking or moving 2 feet to get off of the sidewalk is not that difficult!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-08-16, 15:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unch View Post
Not even Shakespeare, Enid Blyton. The Famous Five books describe the character "George", a young tomboy whose real name is Georgina, as a "queer girl". This is a reference to her behaviour rather than any allusions to her being a lesbian.
And...?

Sorry, but I'm at a total loss as to what your point is. I could come up with lots of examples of books using "gay" to mean "cheerful" or "queer" to mean "odd." I'm not, because nobody is denying that they exist.

Is there some sort of point to your post that I'm missing? Honest question. I'm not sure if you're trying to refute my point, or support it, or if you're just mentioning one of your favorite literary classics for fun.

Quote:
Context is everything. If, as you say, the etymology of the word is well known, and if it is true that the current use of the word is insensitive, and in the past it was a generic adjective, then I can't see the point of generating more posts to dilute this thread.
I honestly don't see why you're saying that "the current use of the word is insensitive." When used as a pejorative, sure. But when it's used in accordance with its commonly accepted definition (that is, "homosexual")?

Personally, I find "straight" a far more offensive term than "gay." Whoops, that's another word that a select group of people has hijacked!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
faust

2007-08-16, 15:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
I get really annoyed by people who walk very slowly and in groups down a sidewalk or refuse to get onto one side of the sidewalk so faster paced people can pass without having to walk in the street or be stuck behind them.

Then never visit NYC, home to lard-assed admins who walk side by side down the street four at a time.

My number one is folks who read the paper or are on their crackberry while walking through a busy location like Grand Fucking Station! MOVE IT!

Number two on my list is those folks who don't use deoderant. Please stay off the subway if you can't be bothered to apply a roll or two.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-08-16, 16:01

Quote:

Probably only a UK thing, but I can't stand Chavs that listen out loud to their shitty music on their mobile phones.

I just want to say I find the whole Chav thing hilarious. I found a couple sites with some quality humor, such as chavscum.co.uk, and chavworld.co.uk. Some of the anti-chav commentary is hilarious. And my favorite chav joke of all times.

"How do you get 100 chavs into a phone booth?"

Paint 3 stripes on it.

That or

"What do you call a chavette in a white track suit?"

Bride.

Best of all are the chav comments posted all over these sites. I have never seen a more pathetic attempt at English in my life. Right up there with ebonix, werd.

Unch, this is for you!

Spoiler (click to toggle):

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2007-08-16 at 16:14.
Unch

2007-08-16, 16:10

Quote:
And...?

Sorry, but I'm at a total loss as to what your point is.
Perhaps I misunderstood, but you appeared to be implying that there is no need to understand an author's use of vocabulary in order to read their works. The Famous Five is an example that sticks out in my head because not understanding the context and vocabulary, can lead to a great deal of confusion.*

*Yeah it's only a kids book, but you know how these things go.

"It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you."
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-08-16, 16:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
I get really annoyed by people who walk very slowly and in groups down a sidewalk or refuse to get onto one side of the sidewalk so faster paced people can pass without having to walk in the street or be stuck behind them. Also, I hate when people just stop in the center of a sidewalk to talk to someone or answer their cellphone. Last time I checked walking and talking or moving 2 feet to get off of the sidewalk is not that difficult!
Ooo! Good one.

I've had my shares of this, too. It's funny when you think about times you've been told to fall in lines right from kindergarten all way up to high school (do they still do that? I'm thinking no except for the lunch line.), but when you're with groups, you do it 100% opposite... walk shoulder to shoulder.

But come on, at least be aware when people want to pass and give them the room.

It's even worse when the beforementioned group is approaching you. You're in their line of sight, and they saw you coming a block away. Yet they walk as a wall and give you a dirty look when you break the link. Erm, WTF?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2007-08-16, 16:16

Quote:
Perhaps I misunderstood, but you appeared to be implying that there is no need to understand an author's use of vocabulary in order to read their works.
You seem to have misunderstood. Quite the opposite, I believe that understanding an author's vocabulary is crucial.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2007-08-16, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Ooo! Good one.

I've had my shares of this, too. It's funny when you think about times you've been told to fall in lines right from kindergarten all way up to high school (do they still do that? I'm thinking no except for the lunch line.), but when you're with groups, you do it 100% opposite... walk shoulder to shoulder.

But come on, at least be aware when people want to pass and give them the room.

It's even worse when the beforementioned group is approaching you. You're in their line of sight, and they saw you coming a block away. Yet they walk as a wall and give you a dirty look when you break the link. Erm, WTF?
Yeah I hate that look that makes you feel like an jackass even though they won't get their asses out of the way seeing as they are the ones blocking the whole damn sidewalk!

Sidewalk etiquette is probably my biggest pet peeve.
Anonymous Coward

2007-08-16, 16:21

Quote:
I honestly don't see why you're saying that "the current use of the word is insensitive."
I was using the point of reference of the post that gave the word being used in an insensitive context.

If it is considered insensitive in one context, then how can I know how it will be perceived in another usage?
Some groups consider the use of a word within their own cohort as being acceptable but when used by others to be derogatory.

Your posts imply that the use of this particular word is not insensitive (again, depending on context, but restricted to the current meanings). How does a person know, without knowing the situation? What one person considers to be a slur, another might consider a badge of honor.

So, personally, this word, "gay" has become too ambiguous, and I wouldn't use it because there are words that would make my meaning more clear, and I can't use it in the meaning I understood it to have when first introduced to it because that is no longer the accepted meaning.
Unch

2007-08-16, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
And my favorite chav joke of all times.

"How do you get 100 chavs into a phone booth?"

Paint 3 stripes on it.
My favourite:

What do you call 3 Chavs driving off a cliff in a Vauxhall Nova?

A missed opportunity - A Nova seats 5

Yes. I am an evil bastard.

Quote:
Best of all are the chav comments posted all over these sites. I have never seen a more pathetic attempt at English in my life. Right up there with ebonix, werd.
Sadly, it's spreading. Last year my university set up a forum for potential applicants to ask questions and chat to each other. It was filled with crap not dissimilar to those you've seen. There have been tales of people submitting coursework in chav speak. Perhaps this isn't so far fetched.

Quote:
Unch, this is for you!

You've meet my neighbours then?

sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2007-08-16, 17:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Coward View Post
I was using the point of reference of the post that gave the word being used in an insensitive context.
I meant when the word is used in a derogatory context.

I should have been more specific, but I thought it was understood what I meant.

</derail>
Perfecting_Zero

2007-08-16, 18:11

My girlfriend phrases many of her opinions, sentiments, "likes" and "dislikes" in the form of these passive questions, rather than making simple, declarative statements. This all has a demure and winning quality most of the time, but it can be maddening when I simply need a direct (and quick) answer.

(Of course, there is absolutely nothing about my own style of communication which could possibly annoy her.)

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-08-16, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfecting_Zero View Post
My girlfriend phrases many of her opinions, sentiments, "likes" and "dislikes" in the form of these passive questions, rather than making simple, declarative statements. This all has a demure and winning quality most of the time, but it can be maddening when I simply need a direct (and quick) answer.

(Of course, there is absolutely nothing about my own style of communication which could possibly annoy her.)
Of course not.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-08-16, 18:43

Quote:
My favourite:

What do you call 3 Chavs driving off a cliff in a Vauxhall Nova?

A missed opportunity - A Nova seats 5

Yes. I am an evil bastard.

Yes, but a funny evil bastard. That is all that's required to enter the realm of the truly righteous.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2007-08-16, 19:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
.10. People whose rims and tail lights cost more than the rest of their POS used Asian import.

11. People who think people only do that to Asian cars.

Etc. etc. etc. Mostly I hate anybody who does that to their car, regardless of where the car was made.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-16, 19:21

Those kinds of cars are freaky enough, but they're always - always - blaring the loud, bowel-churning thumping bass as they come down my street at 1:45am on a worknight...

Two of these kinds of asshats live somewhere near me. They're going to catch me in an exceptionally feisty mood one evening around 2:00am and I'm going to meet them in the middle of the road with a Louisville Slugger, a gallon of pink paint and some very heavy boots. And they're gonna wish they'd just stayed in and gone to bed early that night.

Have your ugly, dorked-up cars...fine whatever; it's your money. Just quit waking me up in the middle of the night with your 'vooooooooom-boooom-booooom-' horseshit as you're driving home from wherever oblivitard twats such as yourselves hang out until 2:30am (juvenile center visiting rooms, A-holes Anonymous 42-step program meetings, free clinic delivery rooms awaiting another unplanned birth, etc.).

Oompa Loompa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

2007-08-16, 19:24

I can think of many things that annoy me... I'll pick one, for now: the utterly retarded James Blunt.

The 'songs' of James Blunt are the most annoying creations in human history! God, I wish that someone could just stick a blunt pencil up his ass to make him squeal... at least that should help to put some rock and roll into his singing! The guy is such a drag! My god! The guy is such a giant steaming turd! He's the Microsoft Office of Pop!
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-08-16, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oompa Loompa View Post
I can think of many things that annoy me... I'll pick one, for now: the utterly retarded James Blunt.

The 'songs' of James Blunt are the most annoying creations in human history! God, I wish that someone could just stick a blunt pencil up his ass to make him squeal... at least that should help to put some rock and roll in his singing! The guy is such a drag! My god!
Couldn't agree more. In fact, I refer to him as
James Cunt
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-08-16, 19:27

You're Beautiful! You're Beautiful!
Oompa Loompa

2007-08-16, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
Couldn't agree more. In fact, I refer to him as
James Cunt
ROTFL! Genius!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-16, 19:31

They used to play one his videos - videos - at the movie theater about six or so months ago. Before the lights go out and the trailers start, they're usually running a reel of Coca-Cola sponsored "Movie Trivia" and some pre-taped "Hollywood Beat" or "Hot New Music" segment hosted by some Ryan Seacrest wannabe type (there's career aspiration for you). For about a six week stretch, they played this guy's video before every movie I saw. I nearly flew out of my chair and started kicking people. Nothing quite like his mug, 60 feet high and scaring the crap out of you with that voice to make you not want to see a movie.

Ahhh...found it. A pretty enough song, I suppose (sounds ripped off from someone from about 30 years ago...is it?). But not want to I want to hear in a movie theater. People would always bust out laughing as soon as he started singing. So imagine this video at whatever size a movie screen is, and at about 2,000dB (which is what all modern movie theaters have their sound systems set on lately).

It was horrifying. Pretty much made me sterile for life.

It would never fail...someone - usually teenage boys in a group - would always yell out something pretty disgusting (but oddly hilarious) when he'd start singing and looking into the camera with those earnest, moist eyes.

"Lick my b..."

Oompa Loompa

2007-08-16, 19:48

Quote:
It was horrifying. Pretty much made me sterile for life.
Holy canary!