User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

What video games are you playing right now?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What video games are you playing right now?
Page 8 of 77 First Previous 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  Next Last Thread Tools
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-02-23, 03:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_bug View Post
Looks like COD: World at War is available from Amazon for the same price (at least, for PS3) - might have to give that one a look sooner than I anticipated.
I checked earlier and the 360 version of WaW was still $56, but they have COD4 for $49 now as well. I'll be out by the local Best Buy on Thursday afternoon anyway, so I'll just get it there anyway.

WaW's a great game, I rented it a couple weeks ago, beat it on Regular and got about half-2/3rds through the campaign again on Hardened during the 5-day rental, though I prefer COD4. Might buy WaW eventually as well.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-02-23, 09:12

I just downloaded the demo for Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. Amazing. If you enjoy flying games at all, this is a must-buy. It's sort of like Ace Combat, but better. There's a new (optional) control and camera system that always follows your target and simplifies maneuvering, so it's a lot more accessible to people who aren't flight junkies. The graphics are absolutely stunning. Also it has voice control, so as long as you live by yourself (or are very comfortable with yourself) you can hook up your headset and execute certain commands by speaking them. It works fairly well, at least for certain things that don't require fast timing.

Of course, the voice acting and storyline in general are terrible. But that's not the point. The point is it's fun. I always liked these kinds of games. I really wish there was a new Rogue Squadron installment, but this'll have to do.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-02-23, 09:17

I believe Ubi used satellite imagery for the ground terrain as well. I had fun playing the training segment of the demo. Haven't had time to do the next segment yet though.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-02-23, 14:15

Meh. I played the HAWX demo and hated it. It had potential at first, but the actual combat/targeting/guidance UI really sucked. Ace Combat 6 is far superior to it IMO.

I might rent it after it comes out, maybe I'll like the full game better, I dunno.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-02-23, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
Meh. I played the HAWX demo and hated it. It had potential at first, but the actual combat/targeting/guidance UI really sucked. Ace Combat 6 is far superior to it IMO.

I might rent it after it comes out, maybe I'll like the full game better, I dunno.
Did you try the actual mission or just the tutorial? A lot of people have been bitching about the strangely-named "assistance off" mode because it uses an unconventional camera angle. What they fail to realize is that the game allows you to turn the mode on and off at will. Except that in the tutorial mission, it's locked on. In the regular mission it's not locked on, and you can turn it on and off whenever you want.

If you disliked the tutorial and didn't even try the full mission, you should.
Foj
Veteran Member

2009-02-23, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
The torrent gods revealed a copy of

For OS X (via DosBox).

Old LucasArts Classics FTW!
Downloading it now! Though the going is a bit slow at the moment
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2009-02-25, 03:09

So is anyone here signed up for www.quakelive.com yet?
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-02-25, 03:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt View Post
So is anyone here signed up for www.quakelive.com yet?
Looks cool - I'll check it out tomorrow (for you later today) if I have time!
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2009-02-25, 10:26

Goozex is sending me Afro Samurai. That should be exciting.
Foj
Veteran Member

2009-03-03, 13:22

Quote:
Has anyone played the RE5 demo?
I am pretty disappointed. Yes, nice cut scenes. Nice graphics. But really hard to control, half your screen is taken up by your character, and christ you move slow.. It's fun when you have some distance between you and enemies, but the moment you mess up it's not even fun. It's just a mess of confusing crap on the screen and bucket loads of frustration! As it stands right now that demo has cost CapCom a sale, as I was going to buy it sight unseen.... Now, I am not.
I finally got around to trying it out.

You're right about the characters taking up too much screen space. It was way too cramped and for me it really didn't really have quite the same 'Resident Evil feeling' to it. Hopefully it will get worked out when the official version comes out.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-03-03, 13:59

I guess you guys haven't played RE4. Believe it or not, the controls in RE5 are actually an improvement over RE4 (in RE5, moving the left control stick side to side has you strafe, whereas in RE4 you turned, like a tank).

And you definitely haven't played the previous RE games. I tried playing the GameCube version of the first RE, and the controls and camera angles were so bad that I gave the game away to a friend. I wouldn't even accept money for it, it was that bad.

I just got a used copy of Gears of War (1) for pretty cheap. I'm also doing a bit more Dead Space, which incidentally uses a similar control scheme to RE4/5 (but it's even easier because you can aim and shoot while moving).
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-03-03, 14:04

I haven't played previous RE games, but the RE5 demo was miserable. Hated the controls.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-03-03, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
I guess you guys haven't played RE4. Believe it or not, the controls in RE5 are actually an improvement over RE4 (in RE5, moving the left control stick side to side has you strafe, whereas in RE4 you turned, like a tank).

And you definitely haven't played the previous RE games. I tried playing the GameCube version of the first RE, and the controls and camera angles were so bad that I gave the game away to a friend. I wouldn't even accept money for it, it was that bad.

I just got a used copy of Gears of War (1) for pretty cheap. I'm also doing a bit more Dead Space, which incidentally uses a similar control scheme to RE4/5 (but it's even easier because you can aim and shoot while moving).
Yeah.. he's really right. It is a dreadful setup. But you dealt with it. I can't count how many times I died simply because the controls wouldn't let me do what I wanted...

User formally known as Sh0eWax
scratt
Veteran Member

2009-03-03, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
RE4 was actually my introduction to RE! It was absolutely my favorite game on a console ever.
If I think back it's what got me back into serious console gaming...

As I said above I think the fact that the gun does not not come up and auto-aim like in RE4, coupled with the slow as molasses movement makes it quite a lot worse. The other thing I thought was absolutely crap was the sequence that has been in tall the reviews where the girl vaults over to the other building. There is absolutely no indication that you need to run back down a floor. The first time I did that I could not figure out why I could see nothing from my vantage point!

Overall on the demo if I was in a clear area then it's fine as you have time to aim, but the moment you get into a confined area it is unplayable. Making a game challenging by crippling your controls is not good design IMO.

IMO RE5 is too stuck in last gen console gameplay to be an effective title this gen.

Ah, whatever.. I am having a blast on Helghan these days anyway.. RE5 can sort it's problems out or bite me.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-03-04, 18:55

So... Anyone want to buy a token code good for a free download of the COD4 Variety Map Pack on the Xbox Live Marketplace?

I failed... I bought the Game of the Year Edition, which comes with a code for a free download of it, but I didn't realize that until AFTER I'd paid the $10 for it...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-03-04, 19:12

I would but I already have it too.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2009-03-04, 20:26

Killzone 2.

It's fun. The demo is somewhat ok cause you can't choose a harder difficulty. But at "hard", it's a good shooter. You need to unlock "expert".

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-03-05, 08:34

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Killzone 2's campaign, and then after that I'm going to start playing online. KZ2 definitely satisfies in the intense, frantic, and holy-fucking-shit-the-Helghan-are-tough-mean-bastards department.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-03-05, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
So... Anyone want to buy a token code good for a free download of the COD4 Variety Map Pack on the Xbox Live Marketplace?

I failed... I bought the Game of the Year Edition, which comes with a code for a free download of it, but I didn't realize that until AFTER I'd paid the $10 for it...
I did something similar. I bought the Xbox Live Messenger pack which includes a 1 year subscription to Xbox Live. But I entered the code the day after MS charged my card for a 1 year subscription so now I'm good until December 2010.

[edit]
Just picked up Halo Wars this week. Started the campaign on Tuesday and it seems pretty cool but I can't wait to try online co-op and 3v3 games this Friday.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2009-03-05, 09:18

Killzone 2! Graphics are freaking amazing. Can't tell if there's a plot yet though...
scratt
Veteran Member

2009-03-05, 10:16

Plot! Who needs a plot!!

Hopefully I'll see some of you online in the multiplayer over the weekend..
Just.... Need... To... Practice.. More.. on the single player a bit!!

AN Clan anyone?

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2009-03-05, 10:31

Who here has Killzone 2? What are you playstation ID's? Find me, I'm "alsocosus".
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-03-05, 12:13

I'm up for an AN Killzone clan.

My PSN ID is: nikkudesu
scratt
Veteran Member

2009-03-05, 12:18

I'm spring cleaning and doing my new awesome Unibody updated desktop layout tomorrow morning..

But as of tomorrow afternoon I am going to be on KZ2 all weekend.

PSN ID : tehscratt

I'll keep an eye out for people... Don't worry about time zones.. I am going for a 48 hour session..

Towards the end of the weekend if you find me just stand facing the wall somewhere in the middle of a game then just shoot me. I'll wake up.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-03-05, 14:06

Quote:
Towards the end of the weekend if you find me just stand facing the wall somewhere in the middle of a game then just shoot me. I'll wake up.
This reminds me of a Gears of War match where my buddy passed out after many hours of drinking. He was the only one left on our team and we got a stalemate because the other team couldn't find him before time ran out. After the match we tried waking him up by yelling into our headsets but to no avail.
scratt
Veteran Member

2009-03-05, 20:22

There is nothing like being the 'sleeper' on a team!
lightning_bug

Send a message via AIM to lightning_bug  
2009-03-07, 02:21

Might be getting KZ2 in the next few weeks - still going through Fallout 3 and GTA4, but I'm sure I will get an insatiable craving to get fragged by other AN members in a game - I mean, assert my dominance over everyone!

Yeah, that's it...

Guess our wishes don't do dishes or brake repairs...
Twitter | Flickr | last.fm | PSN: TheLittleDoctor
scratt
Veteran Member

2009-03-07, 02:41

I haven't got online yet.. Still doing the campaign.

But this is really reminding me of the fun I had with the first GoW.
The game is obviously very different in style, and the AI is vastly superior, but what I mean is I am having fun in a a one player FPS again.. Didn't expect that to happen..

scratt
Veteran Member

2009-03-08, 22:11

Wow! KZ2 online is a totally different game from the single player campaign.
It's exactly what I want from an online shooter.. In a some ways it reminds me of Lost Planet in that it is not super fast and twitchy like Halo or Gears. So you have time to work as a team in the team objectives, and to plan a little.. and the maps are huge....

I feel really happy for Guerilla Games as they have produced what Resistance should have been.
The PS3's definitive shooter.

I will be playing this for quite some time I think...
I've added all the people who pinged me as friends.. I'll keep an eye out for you all...

Foj
Veteran Member

2009-03-11, 18:37

Finally got the platinum trophy in uncharted!! Felt good seeing the pop-uo showing that I had gotten it. Now I need to finish prince of persia so I can get killzone 2 and see if my wireless connection is good enough for shooting at fellow nova players.

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.