Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

airport express, audio out

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
airport express, audio out
piwozniak

2004-08-06, 07:35

Hi

So i got my airport express, and it works great, streaming from iTunes is amazing, cool stuff.

Here's the idea though...

Why not make it an audio-output device on OS level? Instead of using iTunes only , why can't we output any sound from our mac to it?

I can connect my mac to a projector with one cable, i wouldn't have to run another long cable to audio cabinet.

Playing game on your powerbook, stream the audio to your HIFI system.

Heck, you can even use it as an intercom of sorts. if you have couple of airport express boxes in different locations...

how about that?
k squared

2004-08-06, 08:49

I certainly think this would be in the cards for a future update. DVD player would seem to be the most logical next step.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-06, 09:29

Hey, do my Creature II speakers count as a "stereo system"? If I plug the cable that normally goes into my PowerBook into the bottom of the AirPort Express, can I sit anywhere in the house and have my Creature speakers spitting out the iTunes?

Am I understanding this whole thing correctly?
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-08-06, 09:39

yes

g
dglow

2004-08-07, 03:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by k squared
I certainly think this would be in the cards for a future update. DVD player would seem to be the most logical next step.
Only trick: how do you sync the audio and video? There's a brief but noticeable lag when streaming iTunes to an Airport Express.
piwozniak

2004-08-09, 17:15

Another observation...

There should be a preference whether to allow airport express use it's D/A converters, or just leave the decoding for your receiver to do.

right now i believe it decodes everything and outputs it as PCM,

funny thing is i remember Steve mentioning multi-channel audio... so..uhm.. HOW?
dglow

2004-08-09, 18:38

Multi-channel AAC, coming soon to an iTunes Music Store near you...
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-09, 19:17

Quick question about APExpress...what cables does it come with? Do I need to buy the "AirPort Express Stereo Connection Kit with Monster Cables"? Does it come with anything?

If I don't want Monster Cables (I never bought into the "one cable is better than the other" hype), what do I need to buy? I want to do optical audio, so will a standard optical audio cable suffice? Or do I need one of those things that would allow you to connect a Mini Disc player to a stereo?

Thanks. Sorry to send this thread OT, but I didn't want to start another one.

Edit:
I found this thread...is it accurate about the cable connections for the APExpress? That just looks like a standard optical cable with an adapter at one end, the adapter comes with every optical cable I've ever seen. So I'd appreciate if someone would correct me if I was wrong. Thanks again

Come waste your time with me

Last edited by DMBand0026 : 2004-08-09 at 19:34. Reason: Added things
dglow

2004-08-09, 19:40

The AP Express doesn't come with any cables. You get a white brick with flip-down AC plug on the corner, that's it.

Any optical cable will do, as long as it includes a 1/8" adapter on the end. You certainly don't need Monster-branded anything.

Of course, the Audiophile in me would recommend a cable with glass fiber - most are plastic - but only if you have equipment that will reveal very fine detail. Otherwise ignore this, buy the cheapest optical cable you can find, and steer clear of that long, slippery slope into the snake oil of hi-fi gear.

FWIW, I'm actually quite impressed with the analog output from the AP Express! It's a little bit on the bright side, but the highs are accurate and the lows are surprisingly well-defined. You might want to try an analog cable also and compare - it could be the AP Express' DAC is better than whatever component you're thinking of running the optical into.

In response to DMBand's Edit:
Any standard Toslink with 1/8" adapter is fine - I've tried it, it works. Don't know what's up with that thread, but someone's inadvertently spreading FUD.
peace,
dglow

Last edited by dglow : 2004-08-09 at 19:45.
piwozniak

2004-08-10, 09:38

dglow, it may be easy to find these adpters in your area but here's my experience.

1. BestBuy - they don't have any adapters, and the only cable they've got was $10 cheap crap optical.
2. FutureShop - forget it

3. The Sony Store - the place where it supposed to be easy to find.. they didn't have any..

4. Local HT store, sorry, no luck

5. RadioShack - they do have one with funky ends which kind of flip so you have both 1/8" and toslink.. $40, and still crap.
------------------------------------------------------------
Now, as far as airport extreme output...
How come it outputs everything at the same bit-rate, PCM stream ?
dglow

2004-08-10, 20:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by piwozniak
dglow, it may be easy to find these adpters in your area but here's my experience.

1. BestBuy - they don't have any adapters, and the only cable they've got was $10 cheap crap optical.
2. FutureShop - forget it

3. The Sony Store - the place where it supposed to be easy to find.. they didn't have any..

4. Local HT store, sorry, no luck

5. RadioShack - they do have one with funky ends which kind of flip so you have both 1/8" and toslink.. $40, and still crap.
Man, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. I found cheap cables in the electronics section at Sears, and each included two adapters!

I'm really surprised that the Sony Store is without - Sony is probably the biggest promoter of optical interconnects. Now, what exactly is wrong with the RadioShack cables? Like I mentioned in an earlier post, unless you step up to glass fiber I think most cables are roughly equivalent.

FWIW, I have at least two spare 1/8" adapters I'd be glad to part with. Any takers? PM me if you're interested - piwozniak has dibs.

Quote:
Now, as far as airport extreme output...
How come it outputs everything at the same bit-rate, PCM stream ?
Hmm, that's a good question. Probably something to do with the fact that Apple Lossless decompresses to 16-bit 44.1 kHz audio?

What bit-rates would you prefer it output at?
piwozniak

2004-08-10, 22:00

Heh, thanks, i'm a happy owner of radioshack's finest.

I'm wondering.. when you play mp3, mp4 why can't you tell AE to not to encode it, and just simply output it? Or have some sort of a preferences to choose which formats to decode.

Many receivers can decode mp3, mp4 without any probs..

As i've said in another thread..

I think Steve in his keynote said "multi-channel audio through AE", sure...but how?