User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

REALBasic vs Revolution???

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
REALBasic vs Revolution???
ArchiMark

2007-10-30, 22:59

Wondered if anyone has used current versions of RB or Rev or LibertyBasic and could comment on them in terms of whether they'd be a good app for a code noob/hobbyist like me???

I don't have lots of time for this (have full-time job...), but I would like to get into something that is not too difficult to learn....

Have dabbled here and there with Basic, C, C++ and read a few books over the past few years, but haven't gotten too far with any of them due to lack of time.

However, from this effort I do have a pretty good overview of what this is all about, but now need to jump in to one environment and start using it regularly for awhile as I have some more time now than before....

So, would you guys consider RB or Rev or LibertyBasic a reasonable approach for a guy like me???

Or should I consider _____ ????

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited by ArchiMark : 2007-10-31 at 09:34. Reason: Clarify Intent
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2007-10-31, 18:03

Why don't you mention the types of applications you'll be building? Perhaps who they are for (what operating systems, do they need to be for both?), and f you are just playing around, or plan on making worthwhile software that you may be selling? Also, consider if it's something that can be done in a web app.
ArchiMark

2007-10-31, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x View Post
Why don't you mention the types of applications you'll be building? Perhaps who they are for (what operating systems, do they need to be for both?), and f you are just playing around, or plan on making worthwhile software that you may be selling? Also, consider if it's something that can be done in a web app.
Thanks for your reply, ast3r3x....

Right now my focus is to learn how to properly put a working app together....as for type of apps, have various things in mind mainly that stem from my background as an architect...so maybe app that helps with tracking projects (schedules, time, issues, etc) to 3D parametric CAD library objects later on and everything inbetween...
Which means that I don't a real good focus yet...

As for OS's; cross-platform; Mac OSX, Windows, and Linux would be preferable...hence my interest in REALBasic and Runtime Revolution....

I'm mainly doing this for my own interest and enjoyment.

Figure if and when I get up to speed with this and create something that's worthwhile then I'd consider selling it.

Hope this clarifies things a bit more...
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-10-31, 18:22

Perl/TK
ArchiMark

2007-10-31, 18:28

Thanks for your input, ast3r3x and Taskiss....

Interested in cross-platform solutions as I use OSX, XPP, and Linux....

As for apps, not real clear yet, but with my background as an architect, I'm interested in apps that would help me track and manage projects and maybe parametric 3D CAD modeling library objects, etc....but figure I need to learn how to crawl before I walk....

ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2007-10-31, 18:55

I've always thought time keeping apps should be done online these days so they can be done from any computer…and I'm a web programmer.

Well I really can't help as far as the world of 3D goes, especially cross-platform. But I just thought you describing what you wanted a little more would be more likely to elicit a response from members
ArchiMark

2007-10-31, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x View Post
I've always thought time keeping apps should be done online these days so they can be done from any computer…and I'm a web programmer.

Well I really can't help as far as the world of 3D goes, especially cross-platform. But I just thought you describing what you wanted a little more would be more likely to elicit a response from members
Thanks again, ast3r3x....

Actually, as for the 3D related stuff, I've got that covered through the CAD program I use....so probably didn't need to mention that stuff....

Again, don't have a lot of clarity as to specific apps yet, mainly want to get my feet wet and learn how to put apps together and go from there...

Koodari
Veteran Member

2007-10-31, 19:34

I haven't actually used the language myself, but based on what I have heard I'm thinking Python might be the best choice.
Like Perl, it interfaces easily in every direction so you don't need to reinvent the wheel. It's supposed to be clean and easy.

Lots of GUI options here, including TK which Taskiss already recommended: http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming
Here is some 3D stuff done with Python and libraries for doing more: http://www.vrplumber.com/py3d.py

Just in case you play games, you might be interested to know that Python has become rather popular in that field, running the core logic in likes of EVE Online. In Civilization IV, Joe Gamer can actually replace or alter the game's artificial intelligence and events with their own Python code.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2007-11-01, 08:39

Not to mention Blender 3D ( www.blender.org ) allows you to write Python plugins, if you wanted to try messing around with this free cross platform program for building 3D stuff including games.
ArchiMark

2007-11-01, 08:54

Thanks koodari and bassplayinMacFiend...

However as I wrote in the post above yours, I have the 3D app stuff covered through some tools specific to the CAD app that I use....

So, my post is really about more general app types....not hardcore graphics/3D/games stuff....

Thanks