User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Turn signals from 2006-present (and beyond)...interesting thing I learned!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Turn signals from 2006-present (and beyond)...interesting thing I learned!
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-11-12, 17:36

Apparently, starting around 3-4 years ago, major auto manufacturers began putting the turn signal controls for cars in either the rear passenger floorboard, or, on some sportier, European models, in the trunk. This explains why folks simply don't use the things anymore, because it's about a four-foot reach behind you to turn them off and on (which apparently accounts for the sharp decline in their usage in recent years).

For those of you with cars made before 2006 (when they were done the "old fashioned" way), here's a handy little graphic that you can print and post everywhere, if so inclined.

Thank you. The life you save may be your own.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-11-12, 17:43

thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2009-11-12, 18:12

ha, nice...and please signal your INTENT, not your ACTION...

people here seem to rarely use their signals, and even in the infrequent times they do, it is usually when they are already half way into my lane...

"oh, thanks for putting on your blinker now that i have slammed on my brakes to avoid ramming into your side panel...it was so thoughtful of you to let me know that you wanted over after i had already just shit a brick here on my scooter"...

i've kicked 2 cars in the side panel already this year....

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-11-12, 18:55

I think we're missing that poor sod who always gets killed in several warning signs. Probably need his guts splattered all over the highway or something like that.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2009-11-12, 19:28

Haha, saved. I posted it on my facebook. I added a "©2009 Paul Scates" at the bottom first though.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-11-13, 02:43

Thank you for this, people that don't use turn signals really tick me off.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-11-13, 05:31

In DC you're trained to not signal your intentions because it might tip off the drivers near you that you're about to get in front of them. True story.

Thankfully here on Tidewater there's such a mix that about half actually still signal.

I love the illustration Paul!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-11-13, 09:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
In DC you're trained to not signal your intentions because it might tip off the drivers near you that you're about to get in front of them. True story.
What. Elaborate plz?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-11-13, 09:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
What. Elaborate plz?
Around here, if you turn on a blinker during rush hour, the car in that lane will speed up so you don't "cut them off". Because as we all know, one car length is the difference between job arrival time life and death.

Just another reason to ride on a bus. Not many people are willing to put car vs. bus to the test.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2009-11-13, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding View Post
ha, nice...and please signal your INTENT, not your ACTION...

g
You just nailed it on the head. This is, aside from not using the highway acceleration ramp to accelerate, my biggest pet peeve with drivers. If you signal WHILE turning, you have clearly not grasped the concept of the signal at all. You fail. You are stupid. You shouldn't be driving. I can already see that you are turning, thank you! Knowing that you were slowing down to turn, or better yet, that you PLAN to slow down to turn or change lanes, is much more helpful. But you are too dumb and self-absorbed to understand why warning/signaling or even acknowledging the world past the tip of your nose is good for you.
Delkan Cott

2009-11-13, 11:45

This thread is awesome. I wish everyone who didn't use turn signals would spend a few hours reading, and re-reading, this.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-11-13, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
What. Elaborate plz?
I read it as a joke, akin to pscates' original post.
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2009-11-13, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
no that's definitely serious. in packed highways (northeast especially), it's every man for himself and if you want to get into another lane NEVER turn your signal on.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-11-13, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
Definitely not a joke. I bought Geggy Tah's "Whoever You Are" last week because I used my blinker and someone was actually nice enough to let me change lanes while I was driving in my car and it made my day.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-11-13, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post
...aside from not using the highway acceleration ramp to accelerate...
omg this. And the especially annoying thing is it happens EVERY single time. I can literally only remember maybe one or two times that the person in front of me accelerated to merging speed on the on-ramp. Both were guys in BMWs so there you have it. Virtually everyone is afraid to use their gas pedal and ends up trying to merge at like 40 mph when all the other traffic is going 60-70 mph.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2009-11-13, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
In DC you're trained to not signal your intentions because it might tip off the drivers near you that you're about to get in front of them.
Here's how my paranoid brain sometimes works: I'll be behind a really slow driver. I see my turn coming up and I think, "I better not use my turn signal, because I don't want to tip off Mr. Slowpoke." Again, Mr. Slowpoke is in front of me. I'm worried he may see my signal in his rear-view mirror and take the same turn in order to keep enforcing his super-slow speed limit.

Am I the only person that ever does that?

Now, if there's also somebody behind me in this situation, I will use my turn signal, of course. I don't like having to reach back into the trunk, but I will!

Ugh.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-11-13, 12:58

While I was being (kinda) humorous in my opening post, the fact is I notice turn signal usage way down from what it was 10 or 20 years ago. I really do.

That's what got me thinking "are newer models putting the controls in the backseat or something? Are they no longer right there, conveniently located, on the steering column?"

You'd think the answer to that is "no", based on what you see out there.

The whole turn signal/lane stuff irks me more than any other driving or road issue. I can break it down into the three main areas:
  • Don't use turn signals (obviously)...already covered
  • People who don't make turns from the designated turning lane, and just stop in the middle of road - no blinker, no warning, no hand signal, no perceptible slowing or prepping, etc. - and pull into a parking lot or store. Everyone behind you has to check up (and worry themselves about being rammed from behind by others). Scoot over into the turning lane - use your turn signal first - and turn into your destination. Don't do it from a dead stop on the main road if you've actually got a turning lane 10 feet to your right, jackball! I see this constantly where I live. I guess people think that extra far right lane is for ducks and street vendors? People who come to a dead stop to make a gentle, sloping turn need to be slapped anyway, but that's a whole other thread. Your car can actually handle the G-forces involved in a 15mph gentle, arcing turn...I promise.
  • If you're pulling out onto a multi-lane road and people are passing by and not scooting over into the other lane to let you on, when they've got no one to their left and are able to do so. I don't know if that's an official "rule" or whatever, but it sure would be nice. I've encountered this twice today already (and it's not even 1:00pm ). I always slide over if I see someone up ahead, trying to turn onto the street I'm on (assuming there's no one beside or behind me, of course, and if it'll make a difference for the car wanting to turn). Just a simple "I'd like the favor returned" courtesy, if I'm able to make it happen.

The illustration isn't exactly to scale, but you get the idea. I hate it when 4-5 cars all "freight train" the right lane and hold me in place for no good reason.

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-11-13, 13:06

I bet that "freight train" mentality is connected back to the lack of turn signal usage. I know that some would change into right lane so they can turn right 4-6 blocks down because they don't trust others to let them in before the turn comes up. On other intersections, though, I've seen others speed up so they would be rear to rear.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2009-11-13, 13:16

I think my favorite is when you're at a light, there are at least two lanes of traffic that continue forward.

The ONLY CAR at the red light will always be stopped in the right lane and going straight, rather than sitting in the left lane and going straight so that people who want to turn right can do so while the light is red.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-11-13, 13:16

You know, we have to admit that highway patrol can't always be adequately staffed to keep on top of shit like those. So, here's a proposal. Anyone who reports a traffic violation gets 50% of the fine in his pocket. This should then start a rash of everyone tattling on each other and going broke in the process and come to the grip with reality that either they'll have to take a bus or drive like a sensible human being.

I'd bet Paul would be a millionaire in no times with that scheme.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2009-11-13, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
I know that some would change into right lane so they can turn right 4-6 blocks down because they don't trust others to let them in before the turn comes up.
That happens to me all the time. *Every single time* that give the fine residents of Dallas-Ft.Worth another chance, I'm forced to miss my turn or exit within two or three days*. I usually try to be in the right lane by the time I get to 1-2 traffic lights before I need to turn, depending on how close the turn is to the light. Unless rush hour is in effect, It's not quite as bad on the highway. There, I'll give myself about a minute to a minute and a half to get into the correct lane when I want to exit. During rush hour though... it probably takes the same distance to change lanes, but because you're moving at 5mph you need to allow several hours to move over (or so it seems). One nice thing about my weird schedule is that I'm on the roads during rush hour just a small handful of times each year, and all but maybe one or two of those times it'll just be me wanting to check something out at guitar center or something on a day off, so no biggie if I get delayed then.

*Most of the time, I *could* have made it, but it would have involved cutting someone off in a big way, and, call me crazy, but I'd rather be five minutes late than cause a wreck.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2009-11-13, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKrzyzewski View Post
no that's definitely serious. in packed highways (northeast especially), it's every man for himself and if you want to get into another lane NEVER turn your signal on.
It's true. Also, never merge early in new jersey, it's not worth it.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-11-13, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by faramirtook View Post
It's true. Also, never merge early in new jersey, it's not worth it.
Hey, how come all the slow drivers in Jersey are always in the left lane? Just can't figure this out (Garden State Pkwy & I-95).
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-11-13, 15:54

Because they don't want to deal with people merging into the right lane from on-ramps.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-11-13, 15:58

Better question- why do drivers in Jersey (on 1 between Princeton and New Brunswick most often) slow down at green lights and speed up for yellow? wtf, dudes? This has happened the last 4 times I've played passenger
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-11-13, 16:16

Chattanooga is getting more and more traffic light cameras, so speeding up for yellow lights is becoming a thing of the past for many of us...you'll wind up with a ticket in the mail, and a photo of yourself blasting through the intersection the millisecond the light hits red.

I go full-tilt when it's green (like you're supposed to). When yellow hits, I quickly assess my distance, road conditions, the presence (or lack) of a traffic camera and what kind of traffic is in front of me (lined up and ready to pull out, or a more quiet, deserted road). On balance, I simply slow down and try to stop on most yellow lights. I know, from experience, when I can and can't miss the red light. And I don't want to be a red light -running fiend (camera or not). But if it turns yellow and I'm not far away and I'm going too fast to safely put on the brakes (and stop in time), then I'll give it a bit more Han Solo juice and punch through before the red.

Usually I'm not so hell-bent in a hurry as much as I enjoy just making good, steady progress. I don't drive recklessly or "leadfoot" it (especially on surface streets), but I hate being held-up and made to go slower than I should. So I'm an "opening finder". If I'm in a cluster of traffic and I see a way to (safely) help my progress, I'll definitely do it. But I use signals, don't tailgate, don't lurch in front of people, etc. I'm a cautious route improver. I see others do it completely opposite. Those people are called "assholes who are gonna die before their time".

But then some days, if I'm just aimlessly out and about, or heading to a store but with no particular time frame or schedule to meet, I don't care. I'll be Grandpa Paulie and just scoot around slow and mellow. Sometimes it's nice to roll down the window, hang your arm out and just drive...with no sense of "oh shit, I gotta be there in seven minutes!"

I've seen enough bad wrecks on the news (and personal horror stories from people close to me) to sour me off the hole "drive like a bat out of hell" thing. Maybe when I was younger I had a bit more "idiot driver" in me. Age and experience has mellowed me considerably. And a few visits to Ogrish.com years ago (I'd never seen real photos of accident victims...holy crap).

<-- "gonna puke" smiley

No movie, appointment, grocery errand or meal is worth dying or being hurt over. That's pretty much my overall, guiding philosophy and outlook, as I near 41 years of age.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-11-13, 16:58

Lucky for me, the Minnesota Supreme Court ruled that red light cameras are illegal. Apparently North Carolina has done the same thing.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-11-13, 18:26

Yeah, they've caused quite an uproar here. I'm not aware of any legal proceedings that are about to get them yanked, but I'm sure people are trying.

The first one appeared about 2-3 years ago, in North Chattanooga (across the river from downtown). But they've added a few more in the busier areas (out by the mall, etc.) since then.

I find myself looking up at the traffic light poles/arms to see if there are cameras there.

Wait...is there an app for that?

Off to look...
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2009-11-13, 18:29

I was standing waiting on my sister to pick me up from the train station earlier, and I would say around 75% of the cars turning into the station seemed to have the new fangled impossible to reach indicators, and half of the people that did indicate did so whilst turning. It was really starting to bug me. Lack of indicating is my number 1 pet peeve when driving. Its so easy to do... argh!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-11-13, 18:32

Yeah, I can't figure it out. The little stick is right there. It's actually not in the rear floorboard or trunk (as I was led to believe yesterday ).

I don't know why so many people seem hell-bent on never touching it. During the course of a typical day, they'll twiddle with every knob, slider and dial in their car...except their turn signal. People mess around with their GPS units, stereos and AC/heat settings constantly, and have never laid a hand on the signal stick. As though it's some complex, hard-to-access feature.

"I need to read the manual this weekend...".

Idiots.

It's somehow tied-in with being an oblivitard a-hole, because even if they wired the capability directly into our eye sockets or brain (where all we had to do was flick their eyes left or right, or simply think about turning on the left or right signal), some people still wouldn't use them. It's just one of those things that millions of people opt to be an unreasonable dickhead about (like talking in movies, bringing coffee table-sized "overnight bag" onto a plane as carry-on, taking up two parking spaces, etc.).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2009-11-13 at 18:44.