User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPods in 2012
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-04-24, 08:35

Writing about Apple's earning announcement today I realized how overlooked iPods have become. But it has made me wonder why. There is still a lot of room for innovation and enhancement in iPods, and I still prefer a dedicated music player over an iPhone or even an iPod touch in many circumstances. Last year Apple virtually said that iPods are currently as good as it gets and not a priority when they didn't really do anything to them.

But, I see iPods coming to a point where they are actually becoming outdated in Apple's own iTunes ecosystem.

Features that could add significant value to a new iPod line, and entice existing owners to buy new iPods (which is really what Apple needs to focus on as I don't know ANYONE at this point who doesn't own some sort of iPod). Somewhere in the last 3-4 years, Apple lost its values with the iPod. Apple needs to make each product the best it can be, individually, and capitalize on its inherent advantages. What advantage does an iPod offer over an iPhone? A lot, but Apple hasn't capitalized on that or even given it attention.

- WiFi in all models
- AirPlay support
- Bluetooth 4.0 in all models
- iTunes WiFi sync
- GPS model for running (Apple is giving away large margins here to a growing segment of users. GPS watches go for $300+)
- iTunes Store access on models, even if access is just including automatic download of purchases

My ideal scenario would be the existing nano to take the place of the shuffle. Perhaps the entry price has to go up, and maybe they keep the shuffle around for the bargain bin, but I would rather see Apple try to get the average selling price back up and restore some prestige to the iPod line.

Apple needs a new "iPod". Not a nano, not an iPod Touch. Just an iPod. A music player to fill the $99-$199 range. With a decent sized screen (2-2.5" maybe), innovative controls that are frustration free and that wireless syncs with iCloud and iTunes. It needs a new exciting, thin as hell, but practical and durable design, and it needs to be so good at what it does that people will want to own one in addition to an iPhone or even an iPod Touch. Make a model with GPS, it can be the $199 model, and add accessories such as an Apple branded heart rate strap, and Apple will sell a boatload of them.

- Shuffle at $49

- iPod Nano (shuffle with screen) at $99
- new iPod at $149 - $199
- iPod Touch at $229-299