User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Is this replacement iMac better than what I have?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Is this replacement iMac better than what I have?
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-17, 18:59

At this point I think it will all work out.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-01-06, 10:03

So, I got my replacement iMac on Friday and am typing on it now.

It's nice to have a computer that doesn't' have a huge black smudge mark all over the bottom corner.

I got the Executive Relations team to send me the iMac first without sending mine back (needed a CC to hold the balance, but that's fine) and now I'm sending my old one back today.

Got the RAM upgrade that they promised for free, but nothing else upgrade over my original iMac, besides being two years newer, which is a nice thing I guess.

Was really hoping to be able to have one of those "I emailed Tim Cook and I got a brand new top fo the line iMac out of it!" stories, but I got exactly what I bought, with a slight upgrade, and two years newer.

Overall, it worked out, but still kind of annoyed that it took this long to get the final result.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-01-06, 12:25

Two things:

1) Does it have the FD?

2) If it wasn't a difficult process, Apple would be hammered with "I demand a replacement" requests. It needs to be difficult, and glad it got taken care of.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2020-01-06, 15:12

He writes "nothing else upgraded over my original iMac", so I'm taking that to mean that it does have the Fusion Drive (as his original iMac did?). But I may be reading it wrong. I hope it's everything he originally spec'd/paid for (Fusion Drive included, because that's big, IMO), plus the extra RAM for a bit of PITA compensation. Again, Apple isn't going to miss it. It's a rounding figure on their books, if that. Way more important to keep longtime, loyal users wanting to remain longtime, loyal users, given the choice between that and something that probably cost them less than $6 or whatever.

Hopefully there are still grounded humans in the mix who can make those situation-based judgement calls ("this guy's been through the wringer...match everything as close to what he original paid for; oh, and double his RAM, on us", etc.). This situation seemed legit and not just someone whining about a hairline scuff on the back of the case or whatever other silly stuff some people probably try to make a fuss about.

Anything involving one's display - cracks, marks, discoloration, flickering, multiple dead pixels, artifacts, etc. - I file under "needs serious, immediate attention" because that's your window into all this stuff. When the screen is jacked up on a device - Mac, iPhone, iPad - the whole experience suffers. I could forgive a wonky USB port or microphone before I could a goofed-up display!

Glad to hear it finally all got settled out. Enjoy!

PS - "difficult" doesn't have to automatically mean soul-crushing, blood-pressure-raising, on-fire royal-pain-in-the-ass. There is a difference, and sometimes that line gets a little finer than a person would like.
guci11

2020-01-11, 03:04

interesting info....

iprice.my/huawei/ huawei malaysia

Go away spammer! You are not welcome here.

~ Kscherer

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-01-11 at 13:14.