User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

NFL Draft 2006 - This Saturday

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
NFL Draft 2006 - This Saturday
groverat

2006-04-25, 15:40

So how many NFL fans out there are going to be watching the NFL draft this Saturday?

(God this forum is beautiful. It compels me to post.)
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2006-04-25, 15:45

Already been started:

Football Chat

On topic though, would be interested to see who the Eagles draft at 14.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-04-25, 15:45

I will until it interferes with hockey.

This really makes me feel sad for this, and I still believe this, vaguely named thread.

Edit: Too slow, STUPID, STUPID...
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2006-04-25, 16:00

if the weather is nice i will be outside doing something fun and or nasty

if the weather is bad i might sit inside and watch the draft

since i live in new mexico i can pretty much assume the weather will be nice

i can watch sport center at night and watch all the people complaining about who their team picked
probably followed by a story about all the people in texas trying to get reggie bush's heisman taken away

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2006-04-25, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
i can watch sport center at night and watch all the people complaining about who their team picked
probably followed by a story about all the people in texas trying to get reggie bush's heisman taken away

g
I still remember all the boos that the Eagles got from their fans when they picked McNabb over Ricky Williams in the 1999 draft. Now don't we feel stupid. Never underestimate the boys from Syracuse, ahem... McNabb, Marvin Harrison, Dwight Freeney, Donovin Darius, Keith Bulluck, Olindo Mare (to name a few).

Now the Bush story is getting interesting with the talk of the NCAA violations. Beats out Vince Young for the Heisman, goes nowhere in the National Championship whereas Young became a star, possible NCAA violations, likely going to Houston for the NFL. Should be entertaining.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
groverat

2006-04-25, 16:47

As a die-hard, lifelong Dallas Cowboys fan it will be hilarious to watch yet another bungling Houston sports franchise make a national ass of itself when it drafts Reggie Bush right in the middle of this massive media circus revolving around his being a flagrant cheater.
Either that or I'll laugh heartily as they waste the #1 pick on the extremely-overrated Mario Williams.

As far as I can see the Texans have to intelligent options:
- Draft Vince Young.
- Trade down and get more picks.

I'll definitely be watching for the drama. And the Jets pick early so the Jets fans will be there to loudly express outrage at whatever their front office decides. If they draft Vince at #4 it will television worth TIVO'ing.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2006-04-25, 19:12

There's really just no way Bush is going to be bad. There are a ton of NFL scouts out there who are saying that this is the best player they've ever scouted. It'd be idiotic not to draft him.

And All That Could Have Been
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-04-25, 19:15

Am I crazy, or since ESPN has taken over MNF has the draft been getting 2 or 3 times more play on SportsCenter and ESPN in general.
I've taken to TiVoing my beloved PTI on ESPN so I can zip through the draft segment that seems to be mandatory in the show now. The draft this year is far more interesting than it has been in a while but after the first round I won't pay attention, and that attention will paid to the sports section Sunday morning.

I guess the draft has become more important because of fantasy leagues, right?

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2006-04-25, 19:30

Houston needs a running game too much to trade down for more picks. The guy's going to be a media circus for a while, but isn't that a good thing for a team that has been down for so many years. They really don't need another quaterback, Carr has a lot of talent. It's just that running for your life on every play because of your swiss cheese protection tends to bring your stats down.

Their best bet is to get the high profile back to take pressure off of the passing game, allowing Carr to unload. The rest of the draft they should focus on shoring up both of the lines.

censeo tentatio victum
groverat

2006-04-25, 19:33

I'm not doubting Bush's talents at all. But what is really going to do for a team as horrible as the Texans?

Ask Barry Sanders what it's like being an elite running back in a terrible franchise.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

2006-04-27, 20:23

Woohoo. Buffalo signed free agent OL Tutan Reyes (Carolina) today. This puts them in great shape going into the draft in that they've now freed up one of their early round picks. They are even in good position to trade down from the #8 spot, especially if one of the big name QBs slips down to them, and everybody else behind scrambles to try and trade up.

Now this may be hometown bias, but I'd like to see them pick up either Ryan LaCasse or James Wyche, both DEs, in the later rounds. These guys are real monsters and showed some great poise against tough opponents all season long despite being on the field for 75% of the game thanks to an abysmal offense.

censeo tentatio victum
Bean

2006-04-28, 20:26

According to ESPN the Texans have already inked Mario Williams to a 6 year $54 Million contract. Looks like Bush will fall to the Titans, may even the Saints. Interesting, this might be a better option for Bush in the long run if he ends up with the Titans, an organization that has competed in the past, over the Texans which has yet to compete. Though he did lose millions of dollars not going number 1.

INSERT -- Link, Witty Comment, or Obscure/Thoughtful Quote -- HERE.
groverat

2006-05-01, 13:40

The Texans are a pathetic organization.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2006-05-02, 10:55

I am stunned that both Oakland (my beloved team) and Detriot passed on Matt. What a bunch of idiots.

But, my 10-year old son who is a Titan fan is psyched: Vince and White in the same backfield. Titans should be throwing up some major points this season.
groverat

2006-05-02, 11:35

I am a die-hard Longhorn fan and I love Michael Huff, but you take Leinart there without question.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-05-02, 15:25

Matt "I still think we're the better team" Leinart has been overrated from the start. Why else would he not go pro earlier in his career? So he could go out a (sore) loser?
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2006-05-03, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Phile
Matt "I still think we're the better team" Leinart has been overrated from the start. Why else would he not go pro earlier in his career? So he could go out a (sore) loser?
The main reason he did not go Pro after his junior year is that he was (1) injured and needed elbow surgery and (2) suffering from a mid-season hernia which was never disclosed in the public until after the season was over. (You can read about point 2 in the ESPN interview he did in which he stated is was in such bad shape that on the day of the USC-UCLA game, he literally could not get out of bed. If you watched that game, he was criticized in the first half for missing receivers in the windy Rose Bowl. Yet, some how he managed to win that game, and then go on and demolish Oklahoma making them look 'like a pop warner team' to quote the ESPN analyst this weekend.)

Matt decided that given both these issues, he would not be able to perform in the NFL combine. Ultimately it probably cost him $10mm in signing bonus but in the longer run, he got to do something almost no college QB gets--pro training in college. Matt only had one class this past year (ballroom dancing), and all he did it study film. Pete Carroll allowed to audible 40%+ of the offensive plays (think Manning) and this guy is probably the best prepared (mentally) QB to go into the NFL in a long time.

Only time will tell if his arm is strong enough. But I strongly believe this guys is a winner (37-2 career in college) and possess the intellect necessary to analyze the situation and make a good call that is necessary in the NFL. Vince Young is a dummy, and his intellect will be exposed in the NFL. (And don't expect him to have a field day running like he did against USC in the Rose Bowl and USC's very young and injured defense.) I know a few former NFL QBs and they all say the same thing--the transition from college to pro is the hardest at the QB level. You are expected to analyze about 8 issues in under 1 second to make the proper throwing decision. College QBs really on first read and then immediate option (in the case of Vince, run. . . .)

Vince will be a bust. . . .
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2006-05-03, 14:10

The thing I don't understand is why Mario Williams was considered such a great pick up? The guy played on a defensive line with 2 other first round picks, was seldom if ever double teamed, and played for NC State for crying outloud.

Sorry goverrat, looks like another tough year coming up.

And All That Could Have Been