User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Question on Apple MBP Security

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Question on Apple MBP Security
surjones

2009-06-02, 13:48

Hey guys - I have a MBP 2.93ghz with 10.5.7 on Wireless internet using Linksys wrt54g (hidden router and WPA pass) - on Comcast.

95% of my personal information is ran from HDD's in a iStar Dual Drive Dock (internal drives that you just plop down into the dock)

Questions:

1) Can people get access to my laptop?

2) If someone can, can they take data off my hdd, internal and the external dock drives I have on.

3) Can visiting a website give people that access?

Reason for my asking! I was transferring files earlier, Doing my backups and on a restart (software updates todays) I noticed the dual docks were flashing and I could hear they were busy doing something, but the only thing I had open was MAIL and iChat.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2009-06-02, 13:58

Do you have Spotlight setup to index your drives? If you just finished a backup, Spotlight will need to update its index.

As far as your security situation:

SSID Disabled / WPA password should keep unauthorized users from connecting to your router via WiFi.

If your Linksys router has UPnP disabled and no ports forwarded, there should be no way an unsolicited connection attempt could make it past the router.

If a connection did make it past the router, only ports enabled via OSX' firewall would even be listening for a connection. No open ports? No connection possibility (barring buffer overflows or other software anomolies).

Visiting a website could possibly open a route of infection for your computer, but most infected websites target Windows. To target Mac, first they'd have to find a flaw in a Mac browser, then build code to exploit that flaw. It is a possibility, but there are no publicly known exploits at this time as long as your software has all the latest patches installed.
surjones

2009-06-03, 10:26

Thanks, makes me feel a lot safer with my Mac Purchase

SSID is disabled, and WPA is golden long and has alpha and numbers. No open ports on router, (would not even know why I would want to open a port, and what opening a port would do/benefit me.) LOL Thanks again for your help!