User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

So, has everyone pre-ordered their Vision Pro headset?


Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
So, has everyone pre-ordered their Vision Pro headset?
Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next Thread Tools
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston-ish
 
2024-02-02, 15:35

Well, it's a pretty great TV.

  quote
chucker
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: near Bremen, Germany
Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2024-02-02, 15:39

I understood that reference.
  quote
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tennessee
 
2024-02-03, 16:21

Like the first iPod, iPhone (and iPad), this thing won't hits its stride and "ohmigosh, everybody's gotta have one!!!" mark until about the third version or so, 3-4 years from now. Looking back to those initial releases of iconic devices/products, they were very expensive and, looking back, kinda limited/weak and a little silly, even.

I figure around summer 2027, maybe this thing is something most people might be looking into (but not at $3,499).
  quote
chucker
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: near Bremen, Germany
Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2024-02-03, 17:44

It's hard to say. There was certainly a ton of skepticism around the iPhone. Some dinged it for the lack of hardware keyboard*, because that — as exemplified by the Blackberry — was something a smartphone was "supposed" to have. Some complained about lack of 3G, or MMS**, or copy and paste, but I always knew Apple had the right foundation to evolve those fairly quickly. iPhone had, from the start, a sophisticated OS and future-proof interface concepts.

Which doesn't mean I knew from the start that it was going to be this massive; I did not expect that. But I was fairly sure even then that Apple had the right idea.

I'm less sure with the Vision Pro.

For example, I'm sure they can iterate EyeSight to look a bit better, and Personas to look less creepy. But I'm not sure those will ever be good enough that we'll accept them as great features.

I'm also unsure if today's Apple is organizationally able of pulling off a new app ecosystem. They basically failed to do that on the Watch, and on Apple TV (remember when the future of TV was apps?), and while you can individually find rationalizations (perhaps the Watch is just too small for third-party interactions; perhaps a living room ten-foot UI just isn't that interesting), I can't help but worry that this introduction is too overshadowed by developer dissatisfaction with Apple's policies.

Add to that that, even with first-party apps, it feels a bit half-assed? What's up with only having Keynote and Freeform on it from iWork? Why wasn't this used as an opportunity to make a GarageBand app where the instruments are spread across your virtual room? (Does Apple even remember GarageBand exists? Feels like the last time we heard from it was the iPad 2, which was 13 years ago.) Why doesn't Apple have first-party examples like "with our Notes and Reminders apps, you can now place notes and reminders anywhere in your apartment and have them stay there until you're ready to take care of them"? The tech is there. Were the app teams informed too late that Vision Pro is coming?

*) which is rarely mentioned any more, and while some claim they could type faster on a Blackberry-style keyboard, I haven't seen a lot of evidence for it. Plus, of course, as Steve said: it takes up a lot of precious space.
**) which turned out to be a nothingburger
  quote
Mac+
9" monochrome
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: 🇦🇺
 
2024-02-04, 06:06

Question for the box-keepers.

Keeping in mind the significance of this device in terms of HCI and past Apple platform icons (original Mac, first iPod, first iPhone) skyrocketing in value, what is the thinking - if one can afford it - to buy one and store it?

All I want is a simple life
twitter
  quote
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
 
2024-02-04, 11:52

I'm definitely getting more interested in this as I see reviews and real world usage.

Won't be able to fully see if it's something that could work for me until I can actually go to a store and try it out, but I'll wait until the hype dies down a bit before doing so.

Also have no real interest in spending $3500 on one of these just yet. The device is intriguing, but I just don't think it's ready for me to drop that kind of $$ on yet.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
  quote
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston-ish
 
2024-02-04, 20:02

I had to iterate through the combinations of bands and light seals before deciding that the knit loop and the "W" seal it came out of the box with is the best for me. There's more than a little fiddliness with getting it to fit and sit on your head comfortably, but here I am two days in and I think I've got it. There's a just right angle for the band to wrap around your head and a just right amount of tightness you want to dial in with the band. If you miss just right, you get some combination of uncomfortable pressure on your cheeks, forehead, or back of your head, annoying light-leak, and feeling that your face has become front-heavy. But it is possible to get it on there just right.

I think EyeSight is a mistake. The weight and expense it adds to the device is just not worth it. The stated goal of this feature is to make it so you don't disconnect from the real world and that's just a pipe dream. If someone starts talking to me when I am wearing this, the first thing I do is remove it. I'd much rather have this thing weigh 100g less than have EyeSight, no question. A non-pro Apple Vision without EyeSight which is accordingly lighter and cheaper would be a better device all around.

There's no killer app. The best it can do is "neat," nothing is "must have." None of the spatial apps are interesting beyond 15-30 minutes of initial exploration and intrigue. So far my favorite thing to do with it is watching TV or playing games via Steam Link, which is to say: it's a great OLED TV. In its current state it's an expensive toy and it's fun to watch Apple swing for the fences for the first time in over a decade, but using this for sustained productivity is also a pipe dream and I'm surprised Apple is marketing it on that angle at all.

If it were half the weight, half the price, and had a much bigger software library, it would easily carve out an iPad-sized following as the best VR headset on the market. Those will come with a few years of iteration, so I think that's the lower bound of success for this device. But Apple clearly has grander ambitions for it: they want it to be a general purpose AR computer, and I'm pretty sure they need to make the display actually transparent to pull that off.

In the long run, I think that's how the Apple Vision product line will diverge: a lower-cost VR Apple Vision for media consumption, and a higher cost AR Apple Vision Pro for general purpose computing. Sustained and general-purpose AR computing is still technologically out of reach.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2024-02-04 at 23:51.
  quote
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tennessee
 
2024-02-05, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
It's hard to say. There was certainly a ton of skepticism around the iPhone. Some dinged it for the lack of hardware keyboard*, because that — as exemplified by the Blackberry — was something a smartphone was "supposed" to have. Some complained about lack of 3G, or MMS**, or copy and paste, but I always knew Apple had the right foundation to evolve those fairly quickly. iPhone had, from the start, a sophisticated OS and future-proof interface concepts.

Which doesn't mean I knew from the start that it was going to be this massive; I did not expect that. But I was fairly sure even then that Apple had the right idea.

I'm less sure with the Vision Pro.

For example, I'm sure they can iterate EyeSight to look a bit better, and Personas to look less creepy. But I'm not sure those will ever be good enough that we'll accept them as great features.

I'm also unsure if today's Apple is organizationally able of pulling off a new app ecosystem. They basically failed to do that on the Watch, and on Apple TV (remember when the future of TV was apps?), and while you can individually find rationalizations (perhaps the Watch is just too small for third-party interactions; perhaps a living room ten-foot UI just isn't that interesting), I can't help but worry that this introduction is too overshadowed by developer dissatisfaction with Apple's policies.

Add to that that, even with first-party apps, it feels a bit half-assed? What's up with only having Keynote and Freeform on it from iWork? Why wasn't this used as an opportunity to make a GarageBand app where the instruments are spread across your virtual room? (Does Apple even remember GarageBand exists? Feels like the last time we heard from it was the iPad 2, which was 13 years ago.) Why doesn't Apple have first-party examples like "with our Notes and Reminders apps, you can now place notes and reminders anywhere in your apartment and have them stay there until you're ready to take care of them"? The tech is there. Were the app teams informed too late that Vision Pro is coming?

*) which is rarely mentioned any more, and while some claim they could type faster on a Blackberry-style keyboard, I haven't seen a lot of evidence for it. Plus, of course, as Steve said: it takes up a lot of precious space.
**) which turned out to be a nothingburger
A phone is different. Cheaper and far more useful, to everyone, day to day. There was no way the iPhone wasn’t going to be massive. After seeing that Macworld unveiling/demo, I knew I’d be getting one. And I did, that summer. To me all those things solved the shortcomings/problems of traditionAl smartphones, what littke I did know about them. The hardware buttons are confining/limiting. Making the screen show whatever was needed for that particular app/activity is, obviousky, Tge way to go, vs. assigning about 11-15 functions for each hardware key, based on the task/app of the moment. Nobody’s gonna remember all that. Who’s want to? The only people squawking were those heavily invested in their Blackberries and who simple couldnt, or wouldn’t, magine anything else. On top of that, all the guys famous for being wrong about things - Steve Ballmer, John Dvorak and others like them - were shitting all over it, which should be a sure-fire sign the thing would be a hit. There was a whole cluster of pundits/columnists 20 years ago who made a career/living over being wrong about Apple, nonstop, at every opportunity. The smart money was on “whatever these goobers say, expect/believe the opposite”. And you’d always be right. I was. I never once based a purchase decision on anything these professional analyst/pundit types ever said. I knew what I wanted, and why. My track record was better than theirs anyway. Just not as public. iMacs, Airport, etc. had all done great for me. Even that dreaded round, “hockey puck” mouse didn’t kill me or swallow my soul, like some caterwauled about. Some older men just can’t deal with change/something different. I’m now their age, but I also know better than to outright dismiss things Apple does, unless, like the iPod Hifi, it’s proven to be a “nobody asked for this” flip/waste of time. They used it as a starting point for something better, more compact and useful years later (HomePod, in its various sizes/colors). So even if Rev. A of something is too ahead of the curve, too limited, too expensive or otherwise shits the bed upon release, they’re likely hard at work in the labs to nail the Rev. B or C release, which I think is probably the fate of this Bision thing. People could swing $400 for a music player (music existed and people love it).or $500-600 on a better version of a device we used every day already. The iPod and iPhone made complete sense and solved actusl, real-workd things for many. $3,500 is ally to ask for something of (currently) limited appeal/use that isn’t really fixing something most of us already have/use daily. It’s not like half the planet is walking around with goofy, underperforming headsets and Apple is showing up to save the day. Most people are practical. “$3,500 gets me a tricked-out Mac of some sort, with money left over!”
  quote
chucker
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: near Bremen, Germany
Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2024-02-05, 09:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
all the guys famous for being wrong about things - Steve Ballmer, John Dvorak and others like them - were shitting all over it, which should be a sure-fire sign the thing would be a hit. There was a whole cluster of pundits/columnists 20 years ago who made a career/living over being wrong about Apple, nonstop, at every opportunity. The smart money was on “whatever these goobers say, expect/believe the opposite”.
Yup. That was a real stupid thing in the 1980s-2000s that… kind of went away when Apple became more financially successful.
  quote
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate South Carolina
 
2024-02-05, 14:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
I had to iterate through the combinations of bands and light seals before deciding that the knit loop and the "W" seal it came out of the box with is the best for me. There's more than a little fiddliness with getting it to fit and sit on your head comfortably, but here I am two days in and I think I've got it. There's a just right angle for the band to wrap around your head and a just right amount of tightness you want to dial in with the band. If you miss just right, you get some combination of uncomfortable pressure on your cheeks, forehead, or back of your head, annoying light-leak, and feeling that your face has become front-heavy. But it is possible to get it on there just right.

I think EyeSight is a mistake. The weight and expense it adds to the device is just not worth it. The stated goal of this feature is to make it so you don't disconnect from the real world and that's just a pipe dream. If someone starts talking to me when I am wearing this, the first thing I do is remove it. I'd much rather have this thing weigh 100g less than have EyeSight, no question. A non-pro Apple Vision without EyeSight which is accordingly lighter and cheaper would be a better device all around.

There's no killer app. The best it can do is "neat," nothing is "must have." None of the spatial apps are interesting beyond 15-30 minutes of initial exploration and intrigue. So far my favorite thing to do with it is watching TV or playing games via Steam Link, which is to say: it's a great OLED TV. In its current state it's an expensive toy and it's fun to watch Apple swing for the fences for the first time in over a decade, but using this for sustained productivity is also a pipe dream and I'm surprised Apple is marketing it on that angle at all.

If it were half the weight, half the price, and had a much bigger software library, it would easily carve out an iPad-sized following as the best VR headset on the market. Those will come with a few years of iteration, so I think that's the lower bound of success for this device. But Apple clearly has grander ambitions for it: they want it to be a general purpose AR computer, and I'm pretty sure they need to make the display actually transparent to pull that off.

In the long run, I think that's how the Apple Vision product line will diverge: a lower-cost VR Apple Vision for media consumption, and a higher cost AR Apple Vision Pro for general purpose computing. Sustained and general-purpose AR computing is still technologically out of reach.
Nice writeup on your take here. I appreciate it. This is pretty much what I expected to read too. When watching a TV show or movie with it do you feel like you're in a personal theater? Seems like it could work well like that. Can you kick back in a recliner with that on "just right" or does it shift on your face if you aren't upright?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
  quote
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston-ish
 
2024-02-05, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
When watching a TV show or movie with it do you feel like you're in a personal theater? Seems like it could work well like that.
Absolutely. The sound is so good that doesn't feel like a simulation, either. It really does feel like you're sitting alone in a movie theater. This is how I'm going to watch all the shows my wife isn't interested in going forward. (Here's hoping for a timely native Plex app...)

Quote:
Can you kick back in a recliner with that on "just right" or does it shift on your face if you aren't upright?
It does shift on your face but you can adjust the band on the back to compensate. It is much more comfortable to use sitting rather than standing. Moving around means that it shifts around a bit and you need to keep adjusting the band. That, and its easy to get the battery cord snagged on doorknobs and the like.

Which, honestly, is kind of a bummer: my fondest memories with my old HTC Vive were games like Beat Saber and Gorn where moving around is the fun part. I'll need some accessories to secure it to my body better if Steam Link VR does materialize.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
  quote
Linus van Pelt
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
 
2024-02-09, 01:31

Apple's always got that allure, but dropping $3,500 on a headset does make you pause.
  quote
kscherer
Which way is up?
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boyzeee
 
2024-02-09, 11:26

Wow!

Welcome back, Linus. Been a hot minute.
  quote
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston-ish
 
2024-02-20, 21:32

Returned mine. It was just too expensive to be that uncomfortable. After I'd boxed it up, I saw a toot that really summed it up: "I love using Apple Vision Pro but I dread putting it on."

When there's an Apple Vision Air that's half the price and half the weight, I'll reconsider. But based on how many people seem to be returning theirs, it really seems like Apple whiffed this one. They should have focused on getting the weight down, not that silly front facing screen.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
  quote
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tennessee
 
2024-02-21, 09:02

Uh-oh. I didn’t know there have been many returns. Is this the iPod Hi-Fi all over again? An expensive thing that just isn’t all it was touted to be? That kind of word travels just as fast, if not faster, as “Omg, this thing is AMAZING!!! You MUST have one!” What’s been the overall tone of reviews from all the usual, regular “influencer” crowd…iJustine and her pals? Has it kinda landed with a thud amongst all the YouTube movers and shakers and opinion makers? If so, call it done. Ain’t nobody, in any real numbers, gonna drop $3,500 on an agreed-upon turd. An uncomfortable one, at that. Maybe this should’ve been left in the oven a little longer. Most people, looking at throwing $3,500 Apple’s way, are gonna get a tried and true thing, in the form of a tricked-out, loaded Mac of some sort. If this headset was somehow $799 (iPhone/iPad pricing) then yeah. People have no problem spending that, sometimes yearly, on the newest, latest and greatest iThing. But $3,500? Bug off. That’s a lot to ask people to drop on something so unproven and goofy-looking. Are we there yet, to where such a thing is absolutely a “gotta have”? I really don’t think we are. It took Tge iohone 2-3 years to hit its groove and become something everyone went for/wanted to own. Maybe in 2026-2027, this thing will hit properly. More features/capability, lower pricing, a true “killer purpose/use” (probabky centered around virtual sex and/or violence). when the day comes you can virtu-bang your favorite celebrity for $6.99, this might really take off. But I can’t imagine JLO, Aniston or of the other “Jennifers” ever consenting to their name/likeness/body scans being used as virtual screw toys for sweating neckbeards. Going around killing zombies, slasher movie villains or alien invaders (the outer space kind) around your house/yard might be the thing. The virtual shoot-em-up/gaming angle may be where such a thing triumphs, I don’t know. And, if you reach a high enough level/score, you unlock a hidden level/room where you get to “meet” Jenna Ortega and she begs you to give her the business. Yeah, right.

I do know a few perma-virgin doofuses who’d pay $3,500 for that!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2024-02-21 at 09:22.
  quote
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate South Carolina
 
2024-02-21, 09:10

Yeah, that isn't exactly the glowing review Apple is looking for. On the bright side, there is the "I love using" part in there though. That means they are on to something... just need to nail the practical parts.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
  quote
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tennessee
 
2024-02-21, 09:26

And they will. They always do. That Rev. C release is traditionally where they kinda dial it in. It may be a bit “meh”, out of the gate, but we see how they always improve on Rev. A releases. I don’t/wouldn’t count it out completely, I just don’t think 2024 is gonna be its year, that’s all. *shrug*
  quote
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cleveland-ish, OH
 
2024-02-21, 09:28

For $3500, the consumer will have huge expectations, especially it's an Apple product. Anything less and it will be deemed a failure. I think they were just rushing it to get market share before everyone else left them in the far distant rear view.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
  quote
PB PM
Sneaky Punk
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2024-02-21, 09:45

Apple should have just kept this as a development tool, not a general release. Maybe that was the plan, but they rushed it out to try and do something with it?
  quote
chucker
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: near Bremen, Germany
Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2024-02-21, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Apple should have just kept this as a development tool, not a general release. Maybe that was the plan, but they rushed it out to try and do something with it?
I imagine they were worried marketing it as a dev kit would cause developers to… care even less. Develop for something whose price tag you don't know yet (but probably high), with a release date you don't know yet, with likely a small audience?
  quote
PB PM
Sneaky Punk
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2024-02-21, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I imagine they were worried marketing it as a dev kit would cause developers to… care even less. Develop for something whose price tag you don't know yet (but probably high), with a release date you don't know yet, with likely a small audience?
Kind worse when tons of buyers are returning them after a week or two. What kind of developer would stick it out on a product like that? Big companies aside.
  quote
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tennessee
 
2024-02-22, 09:22

Half-baked product receives half-baked, lukewarm reception. Film at 11. This all just seems like something another outfit would try/bungle. Meta, probably?

Oh well, give it another couple of years (assuming Tim doesn’t pull the plug completely). In my circle of Apple-using fans/zealots, this product hasn’t come up once in any of our chit-chats or “what I’m getting next…” discussions. I thought that was kinda telling because I know people who buy everything the company puts out…watches, speakers, a new iPhone every September/October, on their 6-7th iPad, all major versions/revisions of the MacBook Pro or Air or iMac, etc. For this thing to not be on any of their radar/want list is a first! But $3,500 isn’t really a “curious, impulse buy” kinda price, is it? That usually has to be under $1,000 for any brand new, unknown/unproven thing (Air Pods, watches, iPads, pencils, new mouse/trackpad/keyboard, etc.).

“I don’t really fully understand it and what it actually does or improves/impacts my existence in any real, tangible way. But lemme throw $3,500 at it, on a lark!” - says no one not named John Gruber or Merlin Mann.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2024-02-22 at 09:35.
  quote
chucker
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: near Bremen, Germany
Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2024-02-22, 09:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Kind worse when tons of buyers are returning them after a week or two.
I'm not seeing evidence of this, other than some influencers being cited.
  quote
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tennessee
 
2024-02-22, 12:18

Did they send iJustine all the various models/versions like they did the 24” iMac colors a few years ago? That was kinda weird, I thought, as it was literally only differences in finish, vs. guts/performance. I’m surprised the usual mob didn’t wig-out over that. “Yeah,send the female influencer/reviewer all the pretty colors because that’s all us girls really know/care about, right Apple? #hellosexism #thinkpatriarchy #waaah #nowinningwithustwittiotsnomatterwhatyoudo

  quote
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boston-ish
 
2024-02-28, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
And they will. They always do. That Rev. C release is traditionally where they kinda dial it in. It may be a bit “meh”, out of the gate, but we see how they always improve on Rev. A releases. I don’t/wouldn’t count it out completely, I just don’t think 2024 is gonna be its year, that’s all. *shrug*
That's certainly the conventional wisdom, but there's this nagging doubt I have that... I dunno, maybe AR just isn't it, outside of very niche industrial and scientific applications. We take it as gospel that if you give Apple a few cracks at something they'll iterate it into a more compelling product, but the problems with AVP and AR in general are very different from the kinds of problems that Apple's been iterating on for the past fifteen years or so. The path from the iPhone to the iPhone 6 was working through a bunch of hardware, software, and integration problems: sharper, brighter, larger screen. Longer-lasting battery. Faster processor. Larger cameras with better image processing hardware. Faster, more robust cellular antennae. Problems that exist in the space of semiconductors, chemistry, and software engineering.

But consider this: the iPhone 6 was the thinnest iPhone. The MacBook One was the thinnest Mac. Those are both 10 years old now, and the current iterations of these products are larger because they already got as small as they possibly could and Apple used the wiggle room to improve the cameras and the cooling, respectively.

I'm just not sure how Apple can really make it small enough to be genuinely convenient as a "spatial computer."

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
  quote
PB PM
Sneaky Punk
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2024-02-28, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
That's certainly the conventional wisdom, but there's this nagging doubt I have that... I dunno, maybe AR just isn't it, outside of very niche industrial and scientific applications. We take it as gospel that if you give Apple a few cracks at something they'll iterate it into a more compelling product, but the problems with AVP and AR in general are very different from the kinds of problems that Apple's been iterating on for the past fifteen years or so. The path from the iPhone to the iPhone 6 was working through a bunch of hardware, software, and integration problems: sharper, brighter, larger screen. Longer-lasting battery. Faster processor. Larger cameras with better image processing hardware. Faster, more robust cellular antennae. Problems that exist in the space of semiconductors, chemistry, and software engineering.

But consider this: the iPhone 6 was the thinnest iPhone. The MacBook One was the thinnest Mac. Those are both 10 years old now, and the current iterations of these products are larger because they already got as small as they possibly could and Apple used the wiggle room to improve the cameras and the cooling, respectively.

I'm just not sure how Apple can really make it small enough to be genuinely convenient as a "spatial computer."
I think to do it well you need to separate what you wear on your face from the computer, it's just too heavy right now to have it AIO. We need wireless PCI-E and power connections, or something along those lines to make it practical for something more than sitting on the couch.
  quote
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate South Carolina
 
2024-02-28, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I think to do it well you need to separate what you wear on your face from the computer, it's just too heavy right now to have it AIO. We need wireless PCI-E and power connections, or something along those lines to make it practical for something more than sitting on the couch.
I wouldn't mind a "data pack" the size of my phone wire connected to the headset. That would lighten up the headset but give a wired connection to something else to carry. I mean, it could be dropped in a front shirt pocket or even pants pocket if they make the cord long enough. Figure out a MagSafe way to connect it and all is golden.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
  quote
PB PM
Sneaky Punk
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2024-02-28, 23:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I wouldn't mind a "data pack" the size of my phone wire connected to the headset. That would lighten up the headset but give a wired connection to something else to carry. I mean, it could be dropped in a front shirt pocket or even pants pocket if they make the cord long enough. Figure out a MagSafe way to connect it and all is golden.
Given that the headsets are rocking full M chips, I doubt running it in your pocket would be ideal from a thermal standpoint. They’d have to go with a belt clip or something.
  quote
chucker
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: near Bremen, Germany
Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2024-02-29, 04:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I think to do it well you need to separate what you wear on your face from the computer, it's just too heavy right now to have it AIO. We need wireless PCI-E and power connections, or something along those lines to make it practical for something more than sitting on the couch.
I'm sure they considered stuffing more chips in what became the battery pack, but latency probably killed that idea.
  quote
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate South Carolina
 
2024-02-29, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Given that the headsets are rocking full M chips, I doubt running it in your pocket would be ideal from a thermal standpoint. They’d have to go with a belt clip or something.
Maybe, but I'm also guessing in time they will get thermals good enough to support that. Look at how far we have come with even the Watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I'm sure they considered stuffing more chips in what became the battery pack, but latency probably killed that idea.
Fiber connection would handle it. Heck, I'm guessing just a higher gauge copper would be able to also for that matter.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
  quote
Posting Rules Navigation
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Page 2 of 3 Previous 1 [2] 3  Next

Post Reply

Forum Jump
Thread Tools
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kaleidoscope Vision murbot AppleOutsider 5 2013-12-20 21:02
Unable to get Logitech Quickcam Ultra Vision to work on Mac OS X AubreyL General Discussion 0 2008-02-09 14:06
Make everything on screen red to preserve night vision stevegong Apple Products 34 2007-09-18 19:40
Has anyone used Apple Bluetooth Headset-Is there a better headset? markw10 Apple Products 9 2007-08-12 00:37


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2024, AppleNova