Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

I need a database software to keep records of people

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I need a database software to keep records of people
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2006-10-03, 02:28

I recently volunteered for some charity work at a local organization and I have been put in charge of "the database". Basically my job is to find a solution for storing phone numbers, addresses, and other info of everyone who registers.

does anyone know if a software exists where i can setup like categories in it and then just plug in all the data?

preferable something free/open source since it is for a charity organization.

thanks

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Joshua
Hey where the white women at?

Send a message via AIM to Joshua  
2006-10-03, 08:08

I once helped a charity organization with some Excel issues, they were using FileMaker PRO, this does not meet your free/open source requests, but it seems to be a pretty powerful app, for less than $100 I think.

Good luck and kudos for your work.

iMac G3
iMac G5
MacBook
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2006-10-03, 11:27

ok i just checked filemaker, it looks like its exactly what i need, they even have a ready made contact management database i can download. sadly the price is 299$ but if it works like i expect to and better maybe i could split the cost with them or something, i dont know will see. let me just get it working.

thanks dude

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-10-03, 11:32

Filemaker will work perfectly for what you're describing, and is a pretty easy to use app. that has a lot of potential if you need it.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-10-03, 11:51

Filemaker is exactly what you want, and I've worked with several nonprofits that used it extensively.

A few of us here have substantial experience with customizing it, so we can definitely help out.

It will be well worth the price.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-10-03, 11:54

Indeed, FileMaker is an excellent choice for rapid database development.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2006-10-03, 12:48

FileMaker = thumbs up. Originally Mac only program, stays true to its roots.

Additionally, they might give you some sort of discount because you are with a non-profit. Its worth investigating.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.