Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Adobe Flash Beta: Very Fast!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Adobe Flash Beta: Very Fast!
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-07-28, 10:32

I just came across a nonchalant post about how the latest beta for Adobe's Flash product was supposed to add performance upgrades for the Mac. I know, i know. We've all heard this before and every time, Flash is disgustingly dog-slow...but not this time!

Now, running Safari 3 Beta and the Flash Beta might not be the best idea in the world. But it's been working well for me so far!

Anyway, the beta is version 9.0.60, and the latest official release is version 9.0.47

Get it here:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer9.html

The most notable thing (besides the obvious speed increase on any flash site) is that Flash animations (ie, YouTube videos) do not slow down their framerate when Safari is not the active application

My sincerest apologies if this is already common knowledge (I couldn't find any posts relating to it).
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-07-28, 10:53

Perhaps this was the update Apple was waiting for wrt/ the iPhone.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-07-28, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHockey View Post
The most notable thing (besides the obvious speed increase on any flash site) is that Flash animations (ie, YouTube videos) do not slow down their framerate when Safari is not the active application
Are you sure that's the new Flash plugin and not the new Safari?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hyatt
Plugins are another area where work can occur while a Safari window is in the background. The Mac plugin framework is really archaic (in Safari and Firefox). Many plugins do animation and work based off being pumped “null events” in which they do processing. The faster you pump these events, the faster animations will occur, and the more CPU will be used. Safari 2 actually throttles these events aggressively to background windows and background tabs.

However what we found when we did this was that users complained about the “slow plugin” problem of background windows. They wanted to be able watch videos or listen to audio through browser plugins and have another app active. In other words users *wanted* the browser to be working actively for them even while in the background. We have actually changed our behavior in the latest WebKit to only throttle backround tabs. Background windows are no longer throttled so that plugins can animate properly at normal speed. We expect that some users still won’t be happy with this change in the one case of wanting to listen to audio in a background tab, but we had to draw the line somewhere.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-07-28, 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Are you sure that's the new Flash plugin and not the new Safari?
I was just assuming (since I tried a bunch of Flash sites after the update).

But it's good to know that it's actually Safari 3. Thanks Brad

I still stand behind my claim that the Flash beta is worlds faster than the current official release, however!
Jerman

2007-07-28, 15:16

Bumma, still isn't fast enough to let me play flash videos on my Pismo. Thanks for the heads up though!
chris e boy

2007-07-29, 09:44

Wow. I can actually watch youtube videos comfortably on my Powerbook 1.67 now. All other flash videos have been fine but youtube videos always seem t crank the CPU usage right up, its not quite so bad after this update.
Axl

2009-06-10, 00:23

The newest version of Flash still runs my iMac's 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo to 100% usage.

I can't watch YouTube videos for more than 5 minutes without having the fan screaming in my face. GAH!
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2009-06-10, 15:03

Does it work on an iPhone?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-06-10, 15:11

cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2009-06-10, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I still play Magic the Gathering.