Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-24, 07:00

omg he's alive
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-07-24, 08:56

Cool. I signed up for the beta. Good seeing you post again there Robo!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2019-07-24, 10:02

Back on topic, I just signed up for the beta too.

Most days I spend more time in PyCharm than anything else that's not my my web browser or iTerm, but I've been dabbling with VS Code for smaller things. As a Python web service developer, PyCharm is a pretty essential time-saver for me. VS Code shows some promise, and I give it "the old college try" every few months, but it still fails on a lot of critical paths for large Python projects. It definitely has the most potential of recent editors I've seen, though, and I use it for most other text editing on things like JSON, YAML, or shell scripts.

I think the idea of Panic building another new IDE is... neat? I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. I have liked their products in years past, but now that I think about it, I haven't actually used any of their tools on a regular basis for a very long time now. This is also a pretty steep mountain to climb if it's going to be proprietary macOS-only software. The preview screenshots look good, which is no surprise from this company.

I remember trying Coda years ago, and my general feeling was blasé enough that I have never felt motivated to go back and try it (or Coda 2) again.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-07-24, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Made me think of all of you.
All of you?

Quote:
Hell, all of you includes you!

Good to see you haven't collapsed into a puddle of digital bits!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2019-07-24, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
VS Code shows some promise, and I give it "the old college try" every few months, but it still fails on a lot of critical paths for large Python projects. It definitely has the most potential of recent editors I've seen, though, and I use it for most other text editing on things like JSON, YAML, or shell scripts.

I think the idea of Panic building another new IDE is... neat? I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it. I have liked their products in years past, but now that I think about it, I haven't actually used any of their tools on a regular basis for a very long time now. This is also a pretty steep mountain to climb if it's going to be proprietary macOS-only software. The preview screenshots look good, which is no surprise from this company.
Right.

VS Code seems fairly popular these days. It has a ton of extensions, it's evolving fast, and so forth. I'm… not really living the text editor lifestyle, so it feels a bit weird compared to VS proper. OTOH, it is lean and mean.

(While it's Electron, it seems to avoid many of the weaknesses of that.)

Meanwhile, many of Panic's apps are pretty and… not… bad? But also kind of feel a bit more like case studies of what could be a cool product than an actual product.

Nova is aspirational, whereas VS Code is pragmatic.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2019-07-24, 12:11

Well, I'm just a dabbler in coding so maybe that's why I like Coda. Panic Sync work great with Prompt and Transmit which are the other products I do use regularly. I'm also doing a bit of more web focused coding so it seems to shine there.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-07-24, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I remember trying Coda years ago, and my general feeling was blasé enough that I have never felt motivated to go back and try it (or Coda 2) again.
This is Panic’s stated reason for giving Nova a new name. They don’t want people who tried Coda long ago and didn’t like it to assume that their new product is still the same. So I think there are a lot of people like you.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-07-24, 23:15

I'm a dinosaur, living between old Coda and CSSEdit. I don't know what I'm going to do when I move to Mojave.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2019-07-24, 23:19

I guess the answer is Espresso?

PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2019-07-26, 01:02

Meanwhile on iOS, Coda had been updated purely to rename it "Code Editor" which is a temporary name, per the update notes, until the new product is ready, at which point it will update to it.