iTunes Library Mgmt with an External HD...Help

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes Library Mgmt with an External HD...Help
nmkramer

2005-10-09, 03:04

From another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Any time I've used iTunes with an external removable drive, the files have always remained with the broken link errors when the drive is unmounted.

I've never seen a better option.
Is this true? Does iTunes really suck this much when one desires to keep music on an external HD? I am forced to use an external, because I edit large video files on my laptop and have no space for my large music library.

Here's my routine / vicious cycle (whichever you prefer):
I change my music folder to one on the external HD, and consolidate my library. I have set iTunes to automatically manage my library. I thus have no music on my laptop. I then unmount the HD, leaving iTunes open (as I always do). I take my laptop to school or work or somewhere, and then return home. I find that iTunes has resetted its music folder to the default (on my internal HD) and even moved some files there. Other files get the lovely "!" next to them. I start over from the top. This process of reconsolidation takes too long and is pissing me off. Why can't iTunes handle this more effectively?

Do I really need to consciously quit iTunes before unmounting my external? Is the program that airheaded when it comes to externals?

In the same thread Torifile linked to iTunes Library Manager. Does this help?

Your comments are, as always, appreciated.

-Nate

I don't wanna go on a rant here but America's foreign policy makes about as much sense as Beowolf having sex with Robert Fulton at the first battle of Antetum. I mean when a neo-conservative defenstrates it's like Raskalnakov filibuster dioxymonohydrostinate.
Jerman

2005-10-09, 03:22

I use a little app called Libra, and it can be found here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22029

Been working great for me. Nice 'n simple. Sure do wish Apple had a better and built in solution, however.