Anyone else been stress baking?
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-30, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
It was pretty great.

Since I 1000% do NOT need to eat all these baked goods myself I've started packaging them up and biking around down to drop them off on friends' doorsteps. Nice way to share, plus I get some exercise. And I don't stuff my own face with an entire cake.

Monday night I made a big batch of chili and a loaf of cornbread to go with it. Mixed some hatch chilies into the cornbread.

Tonight I'm making a batch of flour tortillas. Our CTO gave everyone the day off tomorrow so I'm planning a very lazy, very taco-filled day. Chorizo and egg breakfast tacos in the morning, carnitas tacos for lunch, margaritas pretty much all day long. Should be in the mid 80s and I just got a hammock stand set up.
Glad COVID is working out for you.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-04-30, 12:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Glad COVID is working out for you.

Perks of working for a company with many billions of dollars in cash.

I'll admit it is SURREAL to just hang out, cook and bake a bit, watch a lot of Netflix and work from home collecting a paycheck while the world is burning down.

Anyways I made chorizo and egg tacos with tortillas I baked this morning.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-04-30, 16:58

Went for a solid bike ride and came home to make more tortillas. This time carnitas and guac (both homemade!) and a fresh margarita.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2020-04-30, 18:03

I've been "stress" drinking I suppose you could say. Bought 9 bottles of bourbon today if that counts for anything.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-04-30, 18:34

Oh, it counts!

Just, you know, make them last a day or two.
murbot
Hoonigan

2020-04-30, 23:59

Quote:
Went for a solid bike ride and came home to make more tortillas. This time carnitas and guac (both homemade!) and a fresh margarita.
Dude these look amazing. I'm psyched for a big pulled chicken quesadilla night here tomorrow. I fasted all day and hit 31000 steps on the ol' step counter thingy, so I can't wait. Will be about 42 hours sans grub by the time I'm inhaling one tomorrow at supper time.

Thanks man, I wasn't hungry today at all until JUST NOW.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-05-01, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Dude these look amazing. I'm psyched for a big pulled chicken quesadilla night here tomorrow. I fasted all day and hit 31000 steps on the ol' step counter thingy, so I can't wait. Will be about 42 hours sans grub by the time I'm inhaling one tomorrow at supper time.

Thanks man, I wasn't hungry today at all until JUST NOW.
I have a killer pulled chicken recipe that I might make this weekend: take 3-4 pounds of chicken thighs, rub them down with cinnamon, coriander, cumin, black pepper, and Lawry’s salt. Toss in garlic. Throw them in an instant pot or slow cooker, pour some orange juice and chicken stock on top. Cook for 15 minutes in an instant pot, 6-7 hours in a slow cooker.

Once done, shred the chicken with a couple fork, toss it in oil and spread it out on a sheet pan or skillet. Throw it under the broiler for just a couple minutes until crispy. Make tacos garnished with mango, radish and green onions and a little Yellowbird habanero sauce.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2020-05-01, 12:25

Quote:
I have a killer pulled chicken recipe that I might make this weekend: take 3-4 pounds of chicken thighs, rub them down with cinnamon, coriander, cumin, black pepper, and Lawry’s salt. Toss in garlic. Throw them in an instant pot or slow cooker, pour some orange juice and chicken stock on top. Cook for 15 minutes in an instant pot, 6-7 hours in a slow cooker.

Once done, shred the chicken with a couple fork, toss it in oil and spread it out on a sheet pan or skillet. Throw it under the broiler for just a couple minutes until crispy. Make tacos garnished with mango, radish and green onions and a little Yellowbird habanero sauce.
Whoa, I wanna check this out, I never would have considered orange juice and chicken. Radish and green onions, yeah.
murbot
Hoonigan

2020-05-01, 20:57

That sounds good, man! Damn.

I'm a lot less cultured. My fridge shit the bed so we're trying to use stuff up quickly, our little second fridge and freezer can't handle the load (and it's fucking 2 weeks to get it looked at, fuck you Corona).

So we shredded up some chicken breasts (that I, uh, fried, then fried in a little water and seasoning to soften it) and then simmered it in some taco seasoning. Used that, some refried bean gobs, banana peppers, jalapenos, cheddar, and Bullseye BBQ sauce in there. Cooked until crispy and ate it with fresh guacamole, salsa, sour cream, and a couple hot sauces. One I can't place and some sriracha.

Put two quesadillas worth of filling into the one I had, it was huge! Great way to break a 42 hour fast.

Yeah I know it sounds weird, but I've developed a real hankerin' for this Frankenstein "recipe".
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-05-06, 21:30

Last night's project. Fried onion and roasted poblano cheeseburgers with bacon-date jam. This shit was *good*.

Tonight: carrot apple date bread. I made three loaves and dropped the other two off for friends.

Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-05-09, 21:22

Last night I baked a berry peach custard pie that tastes great but is way too ugly to post.

Today, strawberry coconut muffins and clementine strawberry date energy balls.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-05-10, 01:05

Holy CRAP!!!!
You are killing it

Mac+
9" monochrome

2020-05-10, 02:56

Yes, he is!

Hey Ryan, even though you thought it didn’t look good, I’d love if you could share the berry peach custard pie recipe!
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-05-10, 10:18

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1919495

I used blueberries and peaches. Problem was, I used frozen fruit and didn't thaw it before so it threw off the baking times by a *lot*. I also tried to whisk in a tablespoon of cinnamon but it didn't mix well. That's why it's ugly—just covered in brown speckled clumps.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-05-10, 21:19

I think I've turned this into the Ryan's Kitchen Creations thread.

Tonight I went vegetarian. Black bean cheeseburgers with Monterey jack cheese, fried onions, tomatoes, arugula, avocado and date aioli.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2020-05-11, 07:10

Thanks Ryan!

Quote:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1919495

I used blueberries and peaches. Problem was, I used frozen fruit and didn't thaw it before so it threw off the baking times by a *lot*. I also tried to whisk in a tablespoon of cinnamon but it didn't mix well. That's why it's ugly—just covered in brown speckled clumps.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-05-24, 14:29

Coconut lime cake:

Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-05-24, 21:44

Yeah I've been bored lately.

Blood orange upside-down cake.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2020-05-25, 06:48

You need an Instagram called StressBaking

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-05-26, 13:16

That all looks so good. I'm not generally one for sweets or breads either.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2020-05-26, 14:29

Hmm... My first loaf is a little thin.

But Second loaf is much better!

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2020-06-06, 19:46

Looking good, Ebby!

I’ve had a few goes recently, this was this morning:

I thought I had ruined it as I misread my own recipe and included way too much water at first. But I got it back by adding flour and splitting into two loaves, and actually I think this is better.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2020-07-11, 22:15

It's not a baking project but fuck it posting it here anyways. Bought a grill yesterday and broke it in with a slab of baby back ribs. Plus homemade slaw, potato salad and cornbread.