User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iChat Viewing

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iChat Viewing
merlin

2006-07-04, 18:32

Hey everyone. Just wondering if it's possible for my fiancee to view me over her PC while I'm using my iChat on my Macbook Pro. She doesn't have a web-cam but I thought that there was a way for her to still view me, even though I wouldn't be able to see her. Thanks for the help everyone.
Cheers,
p.s. would it be easier for her to just go buy a web-cam? if so, would it be simple to do on a PC?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-04, 18:34

You can always get EvoCam and start a webcam server that way that she can watch. No need for iChat in that case.
merlin

2006-07-04, 18:45

Thanks Chucker. I'll give it a shot.
Cheers
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-04, 18:47

Note that EvoCam isn't free, but you to try it for a few weeks to try, IIRC. There may be free alternatives, but I'm not aware of any.

It may also be possible to achieve this with the free QuickTime Broadcaster tool from Apple.
merlin

2006-07-04, 18:54

$25 isn't bad but it doesn't appear to stream in real time. I'm a bit new to this so it may just be me. Thanks again.
chucker

2006-07-04, 18:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
$25 isn't bad but it doesn't appear to stream in real time.
Yeah it does. It has a built-in web server; you direct your viewers (in this case, your fiancée) to connect to that web server with a browser. She gets a Java applet that streams images live. Works quite decently.